• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
How about bonus points for anyone who can show the SX in its fully evloved state with the base plate still in the binding of a ski skittering off down the hill and the wearer hopping around with 75% of a boot around his foot just not the bottom.....

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How about bonus points for anyone who can show the SX in its fully evloved state with the base plate still in the binding of a ski skittering off down the hill and the wearer hopping around with 75% of a boot around his foot just not the bottom.....
I have seen many of boot blow up...I cannot recall an SX. I have seen 90's with disintegrated heel strikes but thats about it.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
20191222_145441.jpg

I saw these in Valloire, France two weeks ago...

By tha way... I read "sex in the wild" the first time. I have no pictures of that at the moment.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Ok... for those of us who weren’t skiing yet when rear-entry boots went out of fashion....

What is it about the SX90 series that has inspired such fanatical devotion? Obviously @mdf isn’t the last person alive to be rocking these.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ok... for those of us who weren’t skiing yet when rear-entry boots went out of fashion....

What is it about the SX90 series that has inspired such fanatical devotion? Obviously @mdf isn’t the last person alive to be rocking these.
They were very comfortable, warm, easy to get on and off and skied reasonably well. Very well for a rear entry boot.

James

Out There
Instructor
I can recall seeing them in Tignes, France 1979 or 1980. The Red/Grey/White accent ones. They were not being rocked by Jerry’s, but were being skied by very good skiers and looked high tech. They could have been prototypes.

Never skied one. From what I understand, Soloman held their patents, and companies getting around them made inferior products. The inferior products swamped the market and eventually tanked it. Don’t know why Soloman abandoned it.
@bud heishman talked about testing every rear entry boot on the market in late 80’s or early 90’s. Some had no forward flex but flexed rearward.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I read somewhere that Salomon's patent was about the routing of the SX boot cinching cable below the ankle bone. Does anyone have an understanding of why these boots skied so well? Clearly all the famous freeriders from the 80s who rocked SX boots had access to the 4-buckle race boots, but chose to ski the SX. And I don't think those guys would tolerate a lot of performance compromises, as their health and even lives were often on the line.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I read somewhere that Salomon's patent was about the routing of the SX boot cinching cable below the ankle bone. Does anyone have an understanding of why these boots skied so well? Clearly all the famous freeriders from the 80s who rocked SX boots had access to the 4-buckle race boots, but chose to ski the SX. And I don't think those guys would tolerate a lot of performance compromises, as their health and even lives were often on the line.
I'm not really a ski historian, but from what I remember, rear-entry boots were almost ubiquitous. I don't even remember seeing 4-buckle boots in shops. I guess racers were using them, but not guys like Scott Schmidt.
I had a pair I really liked b/c the cable did a really good job of cinching down my ankle and heel. I felt locked in much more solidly than I'd experienced before. The question of forward flex didn't seem to come up so much.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The question of forward flex didn't seem to come up so much.

It did come up - sort of- and the proof is that forward flex and limit was set by those sliders you can see on the white SX91 and the Force 9 above. The ones just in front of the cuff/clog edge.

They felt like - slippers, even when properly sized. No point in trying to get rid of the slipper feel because cinching down on the cable gave you numb feet before anything else could be felt to have changed.

Last edited:

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I skied the 92Es for a season or two and they performed pretty well for me. The non Salomon rear entry boots never held as well.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
Phew....I was afraid this was NSFW so I didn't venture into this room until the coast was clear.

James

Out There
Instructor
I guess racers were using them, but not guys like Scott Schmidt.
Edit- I see now you meant Schmidt didn’t use race boots, he used the SX.

Yes, he did. A lot. The book, The Athletic Skier, 1992, has lots of photos of him in black and yellow Solly rear entries
6CD464E8-B9A5-402B-BD95-C3455BCB6B9B.jpeg

Last edited:

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I'm not really a ski historian, but from what I remember, rear-entry boots were almost ubiquitous. I don't even remember seeing 4-buckle boots in shops. I guess racers were using them, but not guys like Scott Schmidt.
I had a pair I really liked b/c the cable did a really good job of cinching down my ankle and heel. I felt locked in much more solidly than I'd experienced before. The question of forward flex didn't seem to come up so much.

I think the bolded part explains some of it. I don't think wide availability was a real barrier for a guy like Scott Schmidt or Glenn Plake. People like him were fairly methodical about their equipment (at least after they got some notoriety and money associated with that) and would get what they needed to be successful. My other guess is that the forward flex on the SX boots was quite a bit more "progressive" than in the race boots, which would have made a big difference for the skiing style of that time.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Interesting, gold anodized. Never seen it.
Very old school pole.
Probably will have to call dealers. I'd probably start in Aspen or Vail.
At least they're easy to cut so you don't need exact size.
Alta UT January 1993. I am also wearing them in my shiddy avatar pic. They readily accepted a full crampon, which was perfect for the bc I was doing at the time.
IMG_20191018_111110735_MP.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a good picture when presented that way. You should replace your avatar pic with the cropped version.

Sponsor

Staff online