• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello

I got a red (hard) swix gummy stone and it is not very effective at removing rust from the edges.

Should I bump up to a blue (extra hard) or move to a diamond stone? If a diamond stone what grit? The universal one?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Nope, the softer the better. If your gummi is having difficulty, how much rust do you have on there?

You may be better off starting with a scotchbrite and some windex.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Nope, the softer the better. If your gummi is having difficulty, how much rust do you have on there?

The rust doens't seem that bad, however I am new at this. I didn't have a green scotchbrite however I had a blue sponge with the blue pad (not as abrasive) and I sprayed some silicone spray ( didn't have and WD-40) on the pad and rub down the edges pretty aggressively. Then I took the red gummy stone to them. They are kids beater skis 120 Rossi Bandit Freeride that I think I am going to flip on craigslist.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier

I disagree, use a Blue Hard Gummi. Red is too soft. And an additional down side is the softer the gummi the more gummi material inadvertently hangs over the edge and can dull your edge. I only use blue.....period!

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier

I just noticed that you recommended windex, for some strange reason when I went to the garage I thought you recommended WD-40, hence the reason I used silicone spray,

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
220 grit wet sandpaper. Wrap around a diamond stone or something like that and go to town wet. Easy.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
the 220 wet sandpaper worked great... I got a sheet and cut out a small piece and wrapped it around the gummy stone..
220 grit wet sandpaper. Wrap around a diamond stone or something like that and go to town wet. Easy.
the 220 wet sandpaper worked great... I got a sheet and cut out a small piece and wrapped it around the gummy stone..

rmcintosh

Booting up
Skier
Tried the Windex and scotchbrite pad last night on a friend's old skis what a difference it made. Thanks for the tip. I was surprised at how well they cleaned up. Greatly reduced my gummi stone time.

Reactions: BC.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier

Now if you go to tune a ski that is super burred, just do the same before filing. Your file will thank you! Also good to soften a machine heated edge prior to filing.

Here I go in the worlds longest tuning video. Here is the part for viewing pleasure of any wondering.

Sponsor

Staff online