• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Swix gets fined by EPA

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Uggg... Good folks. Miss the black moly wax.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Just in case everyone is missing it, the real PFAS debate is happening at state level.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just in case everyone is missing it, the real PFAS debate is happening at state level.

Turns out that around here its in most municipal drinking water systems.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Something my dad said (nuclear chemist by training, worked in pharma), when he studied (late 50’s early 60’s) there where about 10,000 man made chemicals and at least 20,000 new wild chemicals in the environment as a result, in 2000 he said there where at least 200,000+ man made chemicals and who knows how many wild chemicals occuring in the environment as a result.

It is difficult enough assessing the impact of man made stuff on the earth, let alone the accidentally created stuff in the wild.

Wild chemicals.....chemicals that form when random man made chemicals meet in the environment.

So stuff like this, while very concerning is not a surprise.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Any know if Hertel Hot Sauce has pfas? What I'm seeing on their website is confusing and Hertel answered with a lot of science speak so that didn't really help either.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
This is a good read. Read it.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Simple tricks that I was taught as a kid by my dad was beeswax. Since I started waxing over 45 years ago I have always added some beeswax to my wax mix. While not a racer I have skied with many friends that are, and general have a faster glide in flats than 99% of them (I’d lover to claim I‘m that much better then they are but realistically its the wax).

The second thing was Beeswax makes a great rub in good for about half a day of skiing if you forgot to wax or are just having a bad wax selection day (generally I rarely did as mine was always a beeswax mix, bad days occured only when I had someone else do my waxing).

The third thing I was taught was soap, yes simple bar of hand soap, by an old Quebec instructor in my mid teens. The soap makes for a great overlay in the wet condition (near freezing) days. Rub in, let dry and ski. Important thing to remember here is good only for about 20 seconds.

So if you check the pockets of my ski jacket on the slope, you will always find the following, crumpled trail map, small block of beeswax, small bar of soap (wrapped). As a result I never have bad wax days, when other that I ski with do.

As the saying goes.....What is old is new again.

BTW I know I have posted this before but it is worth posting.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Any know if Hertel Hot Sauce has pfas? What I'm seeing on their website is confusing and Hertel answered with a lot of science speak so that didn't really help either.
Hotsauce has no flouro/PFOAs.

Hertel's FC739 wax did have flouro, BUT...

On Hertel's site, you'll no longer find a product listing for "FC739". It apparently has been replaced by "Racing 739". The current description for Racing 739 says they removed the fluoro from the formulation in 2020:

Racing 739®
was actually the first ever fluoro wax in the world when we created it back in 1986. New for the 2020 season, we have removed the fluoro and made it biodegradable! It is still a higher performance ski wax that incredibly lasts up to seven days on the slopes. For those who want eye watering speed, and also to wax less, this is your best choice. Great from 6°F to 52°F/ -14°C to +11°C.

https://hertelwax.com/products/racing739-high-performance-all-temperature-longe-lasting-7-days

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve used the 739FC and love it, I’m sure the new version will be close to the old without the FC. The two biggest things are the Temp range they cover and the how long it lasts on the ski. While I enjoy waxing (a zen thing), little time and spur of the moment skiing limits when I can wax so both of those items are important. Considering that I have see no performance loss compare to friend that wax fanatically to suit conditions. Either I’m that much better then they are (which I doubt) or its that wax. I’m betting on the wax.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid