• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Swix EVO

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I scored an EVO at a ski shop liquidation last week.

There's a little bit of a learning curve, but the fine wheel makes a nice edge way faster than anything else I have. I found that it stalls easily if you don't prepare the edge well enough. You need to clean up all the hard burrs with a coarse stone first, and you clear the plastic and any metal material above the edge. I have a sciver to peel the plastic, but I find a 4 inch panzer file held at an angle gets the plastic and any metal layers that are sticking up. You also need to be careful to hold the EVO flat to the ski bottom. It works better for me if I work with the ski edge up base away, but that sprays sparks back at you. So far I haven't caught fire.

I'm really pleased with the results.

dm

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
That's how I do it too. I wear safety glasses and a respirator when I use it, because it's definitely sending fine metal dust up into the air.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
That's how I do it too. I wear safety glasses and a respirator when I use it, because it's definitely sending fine metal dust up into the air.

Fine metal dust. Hmmm..., I never thought about that doing grinding work on the family farm!
Never even wore a dust mask most of the time. As you can see i am still alive. Who knows for how much longer though!!!!
Maybe the filings were much coarser though. IDK
I'm gonna' stick to hand tuning as I have had way to much metal dust in my lungs along with cleaning my hands with leaded gas etc.!

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid