• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Swix Evo Stone came apart

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I have the fine stone that came with the Evo. The ring of what I assume is the stone itself lost it's connection to the metal spindle it's mounted on, so when the tool is turned upside down to use it falls out.

Any ideas? Should I glue it back in or bite the bullet and buy another one for $80?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Buy a new stone.

Usually tough to get it back together well enough and still maintain the quality of the cut.
It is a real safety hazard if the repaired stone comes apart during use.

While that is happening, talk to Swix about it.
Those stones should never come unglued. Shattered when dropped, yes. Come unglued, no.

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
I would purchase a new stone. If that stone does not run perfectly true, the imbalance can create a vibration and one of two things may happen.
1. The vibration can cause the a chatter condition and chew up the edge.
2. The vibration/harmonics can cause the stone to explode, sending debris everywhere possibly causing injury to you or anyone around you.

In a former life I ran a surface grinder and you can't believe the amount of destruction that can happen when a wheel lets go. Yes, a grinding wheel is much larger yet the result is similar.

Karl

TS
Steve

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Thanks guys. Done. 20% off at racewax now.

TS
Steve

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
And got some Swix LF7 while I was at it. 180 grams for $48!

TS
Steve

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Device is more than 2 years old.

Sponsor