• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sweet Protection Helmet Advice

Michele

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
My son had SP Switcher with Mips and after bonking his head (first time throwing back flips) the dial system broke. He loves the fit, has the audio chips. Considering purchasing another Sweet Protection but want to avoid having another dial system fail. Anyone have experience with SP? Fluke or product weakness?
And yes- he did end up landing the backie. And yes the helmet DID protect his grey matter- only a month after concussion in hockey.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My son had SP Switcher with Mips and after bonking his head (first time throwing back flips) the dial system broke. He loves the fit, has the audio chips. Considering purchasing another Sweet Protection but want to avoid having another dial system fail. Anyone have experience with SP? Fluke or product weakness?
And yes- he did end up landing the backie. And yes the helmet DID protect his grey matter- only a month after concussion in hockey.
Great to hear the helmet did it job, but, consider that second “bonk” that damaged the helmet a silent concussion.

Read this article

Personally I know one swimmer that played hockey, wake boarded that suffered several concussions the most severe cause him to loss a year of high school to allow recover, the last (7th or 8th I understand) a glancing ball to the head watching a basketball game (sidelined him for 6 weeks). Currently no more hockey, no more wakeboarding (parents hope), swimming well..yes with caution, and anything contact or jarring no.

In sports in Ontario this is now part of the rules that must be implemented for Athlete protect. In swimming its simple, you are out (training or competition) until you get Dr’s note to say you are ok.

No its not a perfect solution (far from it) but its the attempt to prevent another Rowan incident. But it does make one stop and think.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Helmets are supposed to break to protect the head, nothing 'failed'. In my opinion Sweat Protection makes the best helmets in the biz.

yep, I was wondering what the issue was. maybe contact Sweet Protection to see if they have a crash policy for discounted replacements.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Ski helmets are designed to offer protection for ONE serious blow. Without knowing any details about the severity of the crash and hit to the head, my first and possibly flawed reaction is that if the impact was hard enough to damage the dial adjustment system, then the helmet needs replacing.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Michele just joined Ski Talk today. Hi Michele!

FWIW, all the comments above seem right on, to me, and come from forum members who are known to be knowledgeable.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here is the crash protection link:

This says 40% off, for same model, purchased within last 3years with evidence.

For what it's worth, I think just about every Helmet brand will throw you a discount coupon even if you don't have full evidence anymore, or if your purchase is older (i.e. you lost the helmet in the hospital/ambulance).
They will be very lenient to give you benefit of the doubt and appreciate your story and will write back hoping you recover; with a discount code as goodwill even if you technically don't qualify to the program rules. (it is profit to them even at 40% off, they have these restrictions up as they don't want to promote that they are in direct sales, vs supporting their dealers).

But also keep in mind the discount will just be off MSRP from them direct. It's better than paying full price; but it's not an extreme super special deal.
If you really aren't tied to exact same brand/model for loyalty, and are more really about dealhunting, you can find better deal pricing on prior years helmets that are on Sale; or if you can hold out until Spring/Summer (while you recover from your brain injury) then definitely you will find more Sales/Clearances for even cheaper

Last edited:

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
I wear a Trooper 2 MIPS and my u10 daughter races in a Volata. The Sweet Protection quality seems top notch. We haven't had any issues with closure systems. My u12 daughter prefers her POC for racing, but I personally think the Sweet Protection is made better overall. Both are great options though.

Sponsor

Staff online