• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SUV size - 2 pair skis and 2 boards

iceman

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Looking for an advise on the size of SUV to rent to drive 4 adults with 2 pair of skies and 2 boards and some luggage of course :) for about 3 hours from the airport to the resort. Don't want to mess with the ski rack and want to fit everything inside. Would standard SUV like Ford Flex work or need a full size like Suburbann ? Any ideas, suggestions greatly appreciated.

TS
I

iceman

Skier
The longest pair of skies is 185 and the boards are 60.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The problem is always how do you prevent the skis from becoming airborne missiles in a crash. Best case is you can put them on the bottom or below the seat back at least. Maybe 1 layer of heavy luggage on the bottom and skis diagonal in the back as layer 2 below the seat back and lighter stuff on top of them. You can do the diagonal thing in a Suburban or Armada probably..we did that with my wife's 165's last year in an Armada. I frankly couldn't believe how much space there was back there. Any mid-size SUV you have to fold a seat down..

skinavy

Booting up
Skier
We fit 2 humans in front, 2 smaller humans in rear, one seat down (or just center section if possible) for skis/boards to poke through. soft bootbags & duffels on top of skis to weigh them down/mitigate jostling&missiles. Highlander/Explorer/Acadia-size vehicle works fine, up to several hours. Best results if the humans in the rear are smaller-sized adults presumably out of the "ewww she's touching me!" stage.
We are more concerned abt ensuring its 4WD or at least AWD- there's always a way to Tetris all the people and gear- adds to the adventure!
Had a Sequoia on last trip, didn't know what to do with all the extra room!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
At home I fit 6 pairs of skis, snowboard, boot bags, poles in my crosstrek with the narrower seat folded down and 2 adults in back on the larger seat section. When we were in colorado we had a jeep compass or something with 2 pairs of skis, boot bags, poles n the back with a partial seat folded down. Noone in back but we had room for 2 adults.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looking for an advise on the size of SUV to rent to drive 4 adults with 2 pair of skies and 2 boards and some luggage of course :) for about 3 hours from the airport to the resort. Don't want to mess with the ski rack and want to fit everything inside. Would standard SUV like Ford Flex work or need a full size like Suburbann ? Any ideas, suggestions greatly appreciated.

The Ford Flex is huge you would fit everything in that easily. Depending on how comfortable the people in the back want to be I think any standard SUV would work. The Explorers are pretty big as are the Durangos if they have those. We have a Grand Cherokee and I think you could make that work pretty easily as well. Someone is going to have to sit over the wheel well on any vehicle with a split fold down seat.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Depends on the seating arrangement. If you can fold down one of the middle seats then you can lay the skis flat. Otherwise the skis have to go somewhere else which could compromise comfort and safety, but for 3 hours it might not be a big deal. If the vehicle comes with factory racks you could bungee cord the longer skis to the roof.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Depends on the seating arrangement. If you can fold down one of the middle seats then you can lay the skis flat. Otherwise the skis have to go somewhere else which could compromise comfort and safety, but for 3 hours it might not be a big deal. If the vehicle comes with factory racks you could bungee cord the longer skis to the roof.

Don't use bungees. Use something with less elasticity—duct tape, paracord, camlock straps, heck, even Voile straps. Bungees are very easy to install so that they work great until you hit a bump, at which point the load shifts, the bungee stretches, and then as the load shifts back it allows the hooks to disengage and the load to escape. Bonus points when only one attachment point does this and the other causes the attached items to drag on the roadway and bounce off the vehicle. Yes, if you put enough tension on the bungee to begin with you should be able to avoid that scenario, but they're still one of the least-reliable ways to attach something to a vehicle.

Oh, and if you're putting skis on factory racks, watch the binding-to-roof clearance.

Reactions: NE1
TS
I

iceman

Skier
I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions. Sounds like we will be OK. Will bring some duck tape and paracord in case we got lucky with factory rack.
Thank you all!!!!!!

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
We rented an AWD mini van last time we went to SLC. The van had space on the side for long ski bags (I was on a board then) and space in the boot for bags. It was also cheaper than the full size SUV rental.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know Iceman seems to be set but to add opinion anyway....I agree with the minivan suggestion. I know there is a lot of ego issues but I have to tell anyone that the minivan (ive had 5 of them) are the best family vehicles since sliced bread. Especially the Chrysler/Dodge ones with their stow-n-go seats. Fold the rear seats into the floor and skis right on the floor from the rear and sit down the middle between the second row. Easiest thing ever.

That said I now have kia sorento (abd I miss those vans) and have traveled with 4 people (skis in cushioned ski travel bags) on top of everything and over the rear seat middle between the two rear passengers. It wasn't ideal but works very well. You do what you have to do.....lol.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
You'll put (poetic license) your eye out!

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Having two adults sharing roughly 60% of the back seat of a mid-sized SUV for 3+ hours... they better be best buds. A full size 3 row with captains chairs in the middle row would be ideal. That's basically the same as a minivan without the ego issues.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A full size 3 row with captains chairs in the middle row would be ideal.
It is tough enough to find one now with 2 captains chairs...I cannot think of one with 3.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It is tough enough to find one now with 2 captains chairs...I cannot think of one with 3.

Some Durangos come equipped that way, though it might be a bit of stretch to call the Durango truly full-sized.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Some Durangos come equipped that way, though it might be a bit of stretch to call the Durango truly full-sized.
I wish Ram would make a full sized SUV with their diesel.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wish Ram would make a full sized SUV with their diesel.

off topic but Im not even sure what will be of the now Fiat owned Chrysler and its sister brands in the near future anyway. Dodge Durango and journey havnt seen a generational change in 8 yrs and the Chrysler pacifica has left the D Grand caravan way behind. But (as good as it is) the pacifica is not an easy sell when consumers only see one other vehicle offered in the now very lonely and sad 2 vehicle chyrsler showroom. Jeep seems to be more the major focus of fiat. Not sure where/how Ram brand fits in. But there is a lot of personnel change (from what Ive read) going on at the top the auto maker corporate level. So who knows? But I was always a Chrysler (and its sister brands) fan. Would hate to see them and or also certainly the Chrysler brand itself no longer exist. And just to note....my favorite Manhattan building (architecturally) (although no longer owned by Chrysler) is the Chrysler building...lol

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
At home I fit 6 pairs of skis, snowboard, boot bags, poles in my crosstrek with the narrower seat folded down and 2 adults in back on the larger seat section. When we were in colorado we had a jeep compass or something with 2 pairs of skis, boot bags, poles n the back with a partial seat folded down. Noone in back but we had room for 2 adults.
Wow! I can't even get my short skis in my crosstrek and have a front passenger!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January