• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sunscreen for Face

TS
VickieH

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
*nod* It may be better for my skin .. but I'm still going to try the zinc stuff this weekend :) See if I can deal with the makeup-y feel (I assume) and look.
Report back on the zinc stuff. I may be out again this weekend myself and will have to try something.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
From what I understand, the location that melanoma first appears is not necessarily the place that got a lot of sunburn. Also, melanoma seems more caused by major sunburns as a child.

The other, less lethal, skin cancers seem to appear where skin gets sun and in people who accumulate sun exposure over a lifetime.

This is quite true. Friend died of melanoma, it was in his crotch (seriously). As a patient of multiple Mohs procedures for basal cell deals, I should be more careful - thanks for this thread and reminder. I guess that Hawaiin Tropic Royal Blend and years being a lifequard weren't so kind to me.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess I'm fortunate, an olive-skinned Eastern-European type, living in the PNW with lower elevations and preponderance of overcast skies and precipitation. I tend to use sunscreen only on sunny days. I do like Badger, though it can feel heavy on my skin. And I will admit to using whatever free sample I pick up at a ski booth.

I don't know if they still do this, but at Mt Hood Meadows they used to have big pump bottles of sunscreen at client services and a few other spots in the lodge (for general public use).

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But places like eyelids and eyebrows are where a majority of melanomas are found on those who otherwise are really good with their application of sunblock, so it's worth a mention.

This is why I always wear goggles. Goggles protect much more of your face from the sun than sunglasses.

I usually double up with two different sunscreens for redundancy. I currently like good old Coppertone Sport (with the typical poison blend) and Vanicream (zinc stuff).

In addition to health reasons, I like the idea that lots of sunscreen lets me show up at a meeting the day after skiing and it's not obvious why I wasn't as responsive. I also like to think it keeps me looking younger than I otherwise would for the amount time I spend in the sun.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I suspect that the helmet and glasses/googles does an OK job of covering my eyelids.. but for the beach or in the water would would be best for eyelids? I also can't handle anything that burns and blinds me to close to my eyes. I've tried the rub on sticks but the goo is too sticky and tears out my eye lashes.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
*nod* It may be better for my skin .. but I'm still going to try the zinc stuff this weekend :) See if I can deal with the makeup-y feel (I assume) and look.
I get it. Sensitive skin is sensitive skin

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@James i got the app you shared and liked up several products that have worked well for me, all of which rate 10

What does it take to be in a safe range?
It looks like most anything with good SPF is high in their rating

James

Out There
Instructor
I don't know. I think the real use is to alert you to the chemicals involved. The whole numbering is problematic as it's a judgement. tMaybe there's a discussion of what's better on that site?
Did you look up Burt's Bees?
Maybe @cgeib could tell us what's better.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The Badger zinc stuff showed up - next time I ski, I'll check it out.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Burt's Bees' HQ is less than 2 miles from my house.

James

Out There
Instructor
image.jpg
I got this in Switzerland. It has lip protector in the top. The website lists their ingredients. It's a long list.

http://www.swiss-suncare.ch/en/produits/infos-produits/cremes/composition/

James

Out There
Instructor
^^ Maybe. He died of respitory problems.

Burt "sold" the company to his lover/partner for a house worth $130k. The company was eventually sold to Clorox for $900 million.
That stake in the company would have been worth $59million.

“In the long run, I got the land, and land is everything,” he told a filmmaker for the 2013 documentary “Burt’s Buzz.” “Money is nothing really worth squabbling about. This is what puts people six feet under. You know, I don’t need it.”

This critique extended to corporate culture: “I had no desire to be an upward-mobile rising yuppie with a trophy wife, a trophy house, a trophy car,” he said.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-hippie-co-founder-of-burts-bees-dead-at-80/

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Burt "sold" the company to his lover/partner for a house worth $130k. The company was eventually sold to Clorox for $900 million.
That stake in the company would have been worth $59million
He may have died from something else but that would have killed me.

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
The link you provided shows "80 minutes"...
I believe the FDA is now restricting the claims that can be made due to unscrupulous vendors. The SolRx folks have independent lab documentation on the 8 hours, but I guess they can't mention it anymore. Take a look here.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Today checked out sunscreen options. Now they have big sticks like deodorant packages. Going to give that a try for eye lids.

Sponsor

Staff online