• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
So, I got out of court as quickly as I could yesterday. Swung into my office. Changed into my ski gear. And out the door I went. We had 6" of snow Saturday night and another 11" by yesterday morning. Because of my court schedule, I didn't get to the mountain until 12:30pm. As I was walking in, I noticed that people were leaving and I thought to myself "what a bunch of pansies! You guys are leaving on a powder day???!!!!!!" After silently mocking them, I went into the lodge and booted up. I was on the snow by 12:45. What the...??? The chondola isn't spinning. So... I get on the baby lift and head over to the Spruce chair. But that lift isn't spinning. What the F???!!!!!!! Ski patrol says "all the chairs are on a wind hold. We have no idea if they're going to lift the hold but if I had to guess, probably not. Anyway, you should have been here this AM... it was an epic day and the wind only started up about 20 mins ago." Frankly, the best thing to say to me at that point was to LIE and tell me how bad it sucked.

At that point, especially after having to listen to how epic the conditions were, I literally had a temper tantrum on the slope. If I wasn't on skis I probably would have thrown myself into the snow and started kicking my feet like a 2 year old. Anyway, it was a HHHHUUUUUUUUUGE bummer that the lifts were shut down. I took 2 more runs on the green trails that the only lift running could access and called it a day. As I'm getting into my car I realized what a giant baby I was being and thought to myself "come on dude! It's a safety issue. You can't have 40+mph gusts swinging the chairs sideways and NOT shut down the lifts."

So after it was all said and done, I headed home, grabbed a cold beer and proceeded to do some rearranging of gear and shelving in my ski room. That was at least therapeutic.

Bill

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bummer. One time before the internet I left my house at 3 AM, drove through a blizzard for 5 hours only to find out that the storm had stayed south and ski country was sub zero and windy with no new snow.

On the bright side if we can get another foot or two before the January thaw we should be in good shape for a while.

Sponsor

Staff online