• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Sunday River, 12/15/18

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My first day of the season, for the third season in a row, occurred in New England. The last two years it's been at Okemo... but with the Ikon pass, I knew a few folks that were going to be at Sunday River in Maine. And since I had to be in New England for work, I was able to get up there for a day.

It's been a good season start so far, and most of the mountain was open... though it was pretty much hardpack all day. We thought it may warm up and soften, but it never really did.

I was staying with a couple of friends, and we started out just after the lifts started at 8...

Me and a couple of Ski Divas... L to R : Kiki, and Meimei (formerly known as MarzNC on EpicSki) :
Sunday River 121518 001 ACR Conv.jpg

We worked our way over to the west end of the resort, the Jordan area. I fell three times in the first few runs! :nono: First days are usually tough, but this was a bit ridiculous... new footbeds and canting are partly to blame (at least that's my story and I'm sticking too it). After a few runs I started to get my legs back under me.

Morning hard groom:
Sunday River 121518 002 ACR Conv.jpg

Obligatory ski and sticker shot :
Sunday River 121518 008 ACR Conv.jpg

We hit a bunch of runs, and moved around the mountain. Sunday River kind of sprawls along the ridge and has a lot of lifts. With what was open and groomed, a lot of the runs were similar, but fun. There was occasional softer (though not really soft) stuff along the edges, and the sun peeked in and out.

Sunday River 121518 018 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Sunday River 121518 009 ACR Conv.jpg Sunday River 121518 011 ACR Conv.jpg Sunday River 121518 012 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Later in the morning, I hooked up with a semi-local :
Sunday River 121518 021 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Tony S and I spent much of the rest of the day cruising around. As expected my first day, I hit a bit of a wall in the early afternoon, but a couple of short breaks and I was good to go. Skied about 26K, which is a pretty big day for me, especially for a first day. Tony kept trying to find soft-ish bumps, but it wasn't meant to be. Everything remained frozen and shaded.

Sunday River 121518 020 DC ACR Conv.jpg

We did find some sun on the lower/eastern part of the mountain later in the day. Skiing in the sun can make people happy :
Sunday River 121518 025 DC ACR Conv.jpg

For a Saturday, lift lines weren't bad, maybe 5 minutes or so, and some of the lifts were almost ski-on...
Sunday River 121518 022 DC ACR Conv.jpg Sunday River 121518 024 DC ACR Conv.jpg

And when the sun wasn't out, you could resort to riding the gondola part of the chondola to get out of the wind/cold (first time I've ever seen a chondola in person):
Sunday River 121518 034 DC ACR Conv.jpg

And there were of course some nice views! This is looking across the resort from the eastern part:
Sunday River 121518 028 DC ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Thanks @Tony S for coming out and showing me around.... All-in-all, it was a great start to the season! looking forward to a lot more days...

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely a fun day. My skiing frequency has taken a nose dive since then, unfortunately. Oh well. Working on it.