• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
For a major resort Sun Valley might be the least crowded over any of the Holiday periods. Just saying, if you want to not be mobbed take a look at SV.

jclee

Booting up
Skier
It sure sucks that these 'partner resorts' are off-limits to military pass holders, when the Epic Local pass, 7 day pass and 4 day pass holders all get a few free days. We don't even get 50% off the regular price like the other pass holders do when they use up their free days. I am sensing a second class treatment here.

PhillyGuy

Booting up
Skier
It’s not free for Epic 7 or 4 day passes. They’ve paid for those days. Using them at partner resorts will deduct days that can be used at Vail resorts.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
It sure sucks that these 'partner resorts' are off-limits to military pass holders, when the Epic Local pass, 7 day pass and 4 day pass holders all get a few free days. We don't even get 50% off the regular price like the other pass holders do when they use up their free days. I am sensing a second class treatment here.

Vail gives a phenomenal deal at their properties to those eligible for a military pass, and they get dumped on for not spending a lot of money on those customers in addition. I think it's pretty much true in the US that no good deed goes unpunished, and Alterra was smart to just never even start giving senior, military, teacher, etc. discounts. Not worth the grief.

jclee

Booting up
Skier
It
Vail gives a phenomenal deal at their properties to those eligible for a military pass
It's a good deal at $499, vs $899 for the Epic Pass. But we are missing access to Telluride, Sun Valley, Snowbasin, the 3 resorts in inland BC, 3 other resorts in Canada, the 3 major resorts in France, plus resorts in Italy, and Switzerland. The resorts in Hakuba, and now Rusutsu in Hokkaido. Even the $669 Local pass has access to Sun Valley and Snowbasin, as well as the Hakuba ersorts in Japan. With the military veteran pass, we pay less, but we most definitely get less in return. So it's not a phenomenal deal. Just a good deal.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
It

It's a good deal at $499, vs $899 for the Epic Pass. But we are missing access to Telluride, Sun Valley, Snowbasin, the 3 resorts in inland BC, 3 other resorts in Canada, the 3 major resorts in France, plus resorts in Italy, and Switzerland. The resorts in Hakuba, and now Rusutsu in Hokkaido. Even the $669 Local pass has access to Sun Valley and Snowbasin, as well as the Hakuba ersorts in Japan. With the military veteran pass, we pay less, but we most definitely get less in return. So it's not a phenomenal deal. Just a good deal.

It's a DEAL!

No other multi-mountain ski pass offers something better that I am aware of. Not the Peak pass. Not the IKON pass.
I am sure you are aware that they do NOT need to offer any type of deal, be it a phenomenal deal, a very good deal, or a "just" a good deal.

Complaining about something that ONLY favors you seems rather...

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For next year IKON has reduced military prices: $679 or $479 for the base pass. Options abound.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier

I feel you. My only consolation is that if you're actually going to visit Telluride, Sun Valley, Snowbasin, Kicking Horse, Fernie, or resorts in Europe or Japan, all in addition to the mountains that Vail owns, then you're getting a really good value by buying the full Epic Pass. When evaluating the cost of these passes, the sticker shock of the more expensive options sometimes stands out, but it's helpful to think about what the cost per day is, and compare that to what it would cost you per day without the pass. Day tickets are expensive not only at the Vail resorts but also at Telluride, Sun Valley, Kicking Horse, etc. If you can get a bunch of days on all of those resorts, you can be pretty happy that you got a ton of value from your pass :)!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wrote up a scathing hot take last night, but deleted it, but as the thread is continuing and I slept over it, I'll make some comments with slightly less snark, but still some snark. Please don't take it too personal.

Those other resorts have their own military benefits too independent from the Vail Pass. Look up the military benefits for each one. If they are not enough for you, then you should blame those individual Partner resorts for not supporting the troops enough, versus VR.

As far as the 2nd class remark, you are treated the same as everyone else on the mountain. You aren't waiting in some separate line marked military that has to wait longer then the other lines before you get a seat. You aren't refused service at restaurants or water fountains or restrooms and have to go to a separate area. That is truely what being 2nd class means, not something due to pricing. Don't make this something that it is not.

If it's just a complaint about pricing; you have the exact same opportunity to buy a first class ticket as everyone else. But not everyone else has the access to buy a military pass, this was YOUR choice.
As far as Pass being 2nd class, if you feel the military pass is 2nd class , then I'm 3th class since with my Tahoe Local pass I have ZERO benefits for those partners; and the Tahoe Base pass are 4th class since they have even fewer benefits. So there you go, you're 2nd class is one step up over my 3rd and 4th classes for which we paid more.

When you fly on an commercial airplane as military, is there a secret military codeword that gets you automatic first class seats even though you paid an economy fare? Please let me know if true.

Last edited:

Steezus

Yucatan Suckaman
Skier
Second class treatment? I was in the military as well and I always felt that a lot of members are overly entitled. You get so many deals on things and the pay is actually quite good when you add up all the benefits you get. You might want to take a step back and reevaluate how good you have it. You are paying nearly half price and only lose out on resorts that are almost really expensive to get to for anyone living in the US.

You mention the Hakuba resorts and you can get a free flights to Japan and hop on a cheap train or domestic flight from there to hit those resorts, which would cost anyone outside the military an insane amount just to get to Japan. Same goes for the European resorts. You can basically save nearly two grand off the cost of your trip to other continents and you can throw all that into lodging and tickets and still come out way ahead of someone that paid for the full Epic pass that doesn't get Space A privileges.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
So...the Ikon pass? A large number of its mountains are independent. It has a ton of mountains that are unrestricted.

I saw a post on Alta’s Instagram feed about Ikon ‘19-20 passes open for sale.

The first Alta local response was “Can we not?” followed by what I’m sure is going to be a very popular hashtag:

#ikont

:P

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
It appears that this announcement was made right about the same time that Wasatch Peaks Ranch was sold. Vail seems an unlikely buyer (they're really not into real estate development), but maybe the deals might have been linked. Or maybe the Holdings really wanted to be rid of the ranch before inking a deal with either side in the pass wars. Or they might've sold the ranch to Alterra, then immediately pivoted for a fight. Or maybe the timing is just a coincidence :ogcool: Anyone know anything? Or hear any juicy rumors about what's coming?

As background, Wasatch Peaks Ranch was co-owned by the Holding family (Sun Valley, Snowbasin, Sinclair Oil, Little America hotels) and the Bass family (Snowbird founder). It's across I-84 from Snowbasin, and there was a lot of press coverage when it went on the market a few years back as potentially the last best site for a brand new ski resort in the US. The real estate listing is now marked "sold," and spot-checking parcels in Davis & Morgan Counties, it looks like the owner is now listed as "Wasatch Peaks Ranch Holdings LLC." Which apparently started existing in late January with $45 million invested.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It appears that this announcement was made right about the same time that Wasatch Peaks Ranch was sold. Vail seems an unlikely buyer (they're really not into real estate development), but maybe the deals might have been linked. Or maybe the Holdings really wanted to be rid of the ranch before inking a deal with either side in the pass wars. Or they might've sold the ranch to Alterra, then immediately pivoted for a fight. Or maybe the timing is just a coincidence :ogcool: Anyone know anything? Or hear any juicy rumors about what's coming?

As background, Wasatch Peaks Ranch was co-owned by the Holding family (Sun Valley, Snowbasin, Sinclair Oil, Little America hotels) and the Bass family (Snowbird founder). It's across I-84 from Snowbasin, and there was a lot of press coverage when it went on the market a few years back as potentially the last best site for a brand new ski resort in the US. The real estate listing is now marked "sold," and spot-checking parcels in Davis & Morgan Counties, it looks like the owner is now listed as "Wasatch Peaks Ranch Holdings LLC." Which apparently started existing in late January with $45 million invested.
There was a "townhall" meeting as I live very close to WPR, and as far as I could tell, it is a private developer with no ties to the ski industry.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Anyone know anything? Or hear any juicy rumors about what's coming?
There was a recent rumor of a yellowstone club connection but again, that was only a rumor.
15 years ago Earl Holding spoke about expanding or developing lifts into that area but of course that never came to be.
Part of it was also included in the tenure of Snowbirds Heli operation although seldom if ever used.
06AE025E-AC1E-4E95-BC10-41D0081F2BAE.jpeg

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know of a group that was looking at that property last year. I understand there had been significant resources spent on plans for a ski area such as lift and run placement etc. I will see what I can find out.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For a major resort Sun Valley might be the least crowded over any of the Holiday periods. Just saying, if you want to not be mobbed take a look at SV.

Hush now.

Seriously, why are you even talking?!

Really seriously, you're right. Holiday "crowds" pale compared to almost anywhere else.

However, you never want to go to SV the second week of February or March (only because I don't want to stand in line behind you).

Sponsor

Staff online