• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was visiting Dearborn, MI, shortly after getting my Fisher Ranger 130 delivered. This is going to be a spare boot for me this season and now it's ready to go when I arrive at Whistler. I tossed last years boots and had none to start the season. So I found only a couple shops that could fit the Fisher boot and after speaking with the fitter at Sun & Snow, their Ann Arbor location had the Fisher ovens, but Ann Arbor and the Plymouth, MI stores do boot fittings. My initial thoughts when I decided to get them done in MI while I was visiting (hard to find somewhere to do them in South Carolina) was I would likely not find a great boot fitter but at least they would be heat molded so a little better fit, but I was so wrong.

I spoke with Justin on the phone and worked out a price for the fitting. When talking to him on the phone I was really impressed with his knowledge, but after meeting him and having them fitted I am super impressed with his ability, thoroughness and enthusiasm for boot fitting. He works in the medical field but while going to school etc, he had been a boot fitter at Sun & Sport and still does boot fitting in his non existent spare time a few evenings/day a week. I tell you when your boot fitter has photos on his phone of the special case feet he has managed to fit, and can tell you how he and the store managed to fit them, you can probably count on him to do a good job. He cares about his work.

He did the heat fitting of the Fisher, then some crimping in the heal area to narrow it around the ankle further, a small adjustment on the large toe area to give it a little extra length and took great care to add padding and room around the bunion and the top of my foot where I occasionally get pressure related issues. He tossed an added piece of material that would push me too forward, just aware it could cause issues after speaking to me about my skiing and issues. He spent well over an hour with me and offered to have me pick up my boots the next day to do a little extra with having them sit over night. Justin and his boss have both attended at least one Greg Hoffman's boot clinics to further their skills and the fact it matters that much to the store they would pay for extra clinics and on going education impressed me also. Justin also said to me his boss (the store owner) is even better than me but I'm good at this sort of work, so he's humble. An awesome guy.

If you are in that area and want a good fitting, I can only say it was my most attentive and professional fitting in years. I really wanted to give them a review and share my find. I was just someone from South Carolina that asked if they could squeeze me in for a fitting when I was visiting and he made extra time to see me while I was there.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The state of Michigan actually has some good boot fitting options.
I think this is where @Freaq did his fitting in the past.
I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Glad you found them.

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
Rob Parent is the owner of Sun & Snow and is also a great boot fitter. I am pretty sure he is a certified pedorthist. I got a great fit into my current boots from Rob and he fits my daughters race boots.

TS
Lady_Salina

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
You are lucky to have such a good fitter near you. I seriously will consider being fit there next time, I am often in the area as my husband does quite a bit of work in that area for US steel and the Fords. I was just walking around in the boots (working on breaking them in pre ski) they feel so nice, can't wait to be on the hill him them.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Rob Parent is the owner of Sun & Snow and is also a great boot fitter. I am pretty sure he is a certified pedorthist. I got a great fit into my current boots from Rob and he fits my daughters race boots.
@Jamie (formerly known as U.P. Racer) has Rob Parent fit his boots as well.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
@Jamie (formerly known as U.P. Racer) has Rob Parent fit his boots as well.
I have no problem recommending Rob. Great guy, great bootfitter, his shop has been family owned in our area since '71. He does bootfitting in both the Ann Arbor store and the Plymouth store. Best way to contact them is to email [email protected]

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Spent a few hours with Rob at Sun & Snow today. New boots for both me and my husband. Expensive day, but worth it. I think I may even spring for boot heaters; never had them before, have always just used the disposables. But I deserve an early Christmas gift, right?

Also dropped off skis for their swaps, so hoping to recoup some of what we spent! It's nice that they have five of them throughout the season (first two in AA, then two in Plymouth, then final back in AA) and they haul all the stuff back and forth. Plus, they helped with the pricing, which was great because I have a hard time knowing what to ask.

@Tricia - He knew your name when I mentioned the site, and also that you had a Michigan connection.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Spent a few hours with Rob at Sun & Snow today. New boots for both me and my husband. Expensive day, but worth it. I think I may even spring for boot heaters; never had them before, have always just used the disposables. But I deserve an early Christmas gift, right?

Also dropped off skis for their swaps, so hoping to recoup some of what we spent! It's nice that they have five of them throughout the season (first two in AA, then two in Plymouth, then final back in AA) and they haul all the stuff back and forth. Plus, they helped with the pricing, which was great because I have a hard time knowing what to ask.

@Tricia - He knew your name when I mentioned the site, and also that you had a Michigan connection.
I've heard nothing but good things about Rob and his work at the shop.
As for boot heaters, take a look at the Thermic Blue Tooth option.
I love mine.
https://www.pugski.com/threads/long-term-review-thermic-c-pack-1700-b-boot-heaters.13202/

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Reporting back - both Jim and I got new boots! Him, Roxa Element 110. Me, Roxa R3W 85.

First visit, Rob spent a bunch of time with us. They had to order in boots for each of us, Jim, because they didn’t have his size and he also wanted the Intuition wrap liner, and me because we were going to try a higher flex than the ones in the store. Full disclosure, I didn’t want white boots and the higher flex ones were black. It was worth a shot, but in the end, I couldn’t flex them, so I have white boots.

We ended up going back after a month, I think it was. They had real trouble getting the correct boots from the rep, so we had to reschedule a couple of times. Second time there happened to be one of their swap weeks, and Rob was busy with that, I’m sure, so Justin and Caleb, who was there to help out that weekend, took care of us.

They really couldn’t be nicer. Rob sent a couple of texts that day saying how he was embarrassed with the delays, and getting the wrong boots, he didn’t charge for my fitting, we got a very fair price on the boots, the service was great, once I settled on boots, they mounted my bindings, and I found out they’re Phantom location - only one in Michigan.

We skied today and everything felt really good. There’s one spot by my right big toe that needs a little punch - I can feel the nail is a little tender right now, and Jim has a spot on the inside of each foot, by the ankle bone, that probably needs punching, but he’s going to give it another time or two before we go back. With any luck at all we'll have another couple of checks to pick up from selling stuff at one of their swaps.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A number of my friends and I have been using Rob for years. Great shop, great service.

Sponsor