• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Summer workout stoke

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Let the summer begin!
Perfect! Today was my first day since January 5 of not driving to the mountains on my days off work. Went for 18 mile bike ride and 1 hour Masters' swim workout. It's 85 degrees here, sure feels like summer.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Brian Finch
What muscles do that kettlebell exercise work? Can you explain why it is important? I have a kettlebell with removable plates so I can vary the weight. I’m game for learning new exercises. :)

I take boxing classes all year round, a few times a week, and just started taking MMA classes once a week (it’s brutal). We do yoga and Pilates for 20 minutes after each class. There is something very cathartic about punching and kicking a bag!

In summer, I SUP and ride my mountain and road bikes. I used to run half marathons, but stopped when I had to have surgery last spring. I want to start training for them again....racing them is a great way to see different locales. I’m a relatively slow runner, but I don’t care.

I do a lot of heavy yard work, too, which is a workout unto itself.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Kettle bells are weights, muscles don't care what weights look like... it's resistance that matters, not the shape of the resistance.

(sorry to be a smarty pants)

An exercise like a Turkish Get Up would be more dangerous with a barbell, but you could do it. Kettle Bells are great if you want to swing the weight or hold it over your head. They are great for multi joint movements that work the whole body. Brian probably know a lot more than me (he better, you should see the condition I am in...)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
@Brian Finch

If I post a square-toed spade and 900 square feet of clayey rocky fill dirt and 5000 lbs of loam and 20 peat moss bags, will anyone get stoked?

I mean, it is a multi-joint movement that works the whole body...especially when rolling 40-200lb granite chunks out...

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
@Brian Finch
What muscles do that kettlebell exercise work? Can you explain why it is important? I have a kettlebell with removable plates so I can vary the weight. I’m game for learning new exercises.

Turkish Get Up is a pretty technical movement. Not really something I have ever heard someone do in volume for a workout. To do a lot of weight requires very good form, core strength, proprioception, and balance.

I view it as a benchmark of fitness. You do other stuff as a workout and then occasionally come back to it to see if you can do more weight than 3 months ago. There are some videos on the web of people doing TGU holding a person as the weight.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's impressive. My summer "workout" involves bike commuting to work as often as I can and paddling my SUP around on weekends with the wife and dog. I'll toss some longer road rides in on weekends and evenings if possible.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
@Brian Finch
What muscles do that kettlebell exercise work? Can you explain why it is important? I have a kettlebell with removable plates so I can vary the weight. I’m game for learning new exercises. :)

I take boxing classes all year round, a few times a week, and just started taking MMA classes once a week (it’s brutal). We do yoga and Pilates for 20 minutes after each class. There is something very cathartic about punching and kicking a bag!

In summer, I SUP and ride my mountain and road bikes. I used to run half marathons, but stopped when I had to have surgery last spring. I want to start training for them again....racing them is a great way to see different locales. I’m a relatively slow runner, but I don’t care.

As @Mike Thomas accurately points out, these are multi joint muscle activities. The reason I like doing a lot of kettlebells (without going super geeky) has to do with a concept called a “mature weight shift” aka support on the wt bearing side or resistance to collapse on the weight bearing side.

When you do kettlebell windmills, get ups, overhead presses, bent presses - these are what are known as “Grinds” where the movement is slow and there’s a lot of time under tension. These are perfect for building muscle and a solid foundation for functional training.

“Ballistics” on the other hand are fast and are more sports specific. Single arm clean and jerks, swings and snatches load the weight bearing side very quickly and mimic the response needed for foot strike during hiking/ running, cadence during pedling and the good old outside ski control during a turn.

If you balance the two, you can get a really good workout that supports reaction time and raw strength.

:)

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
165824620.jpg
I've been climbing up and down the 17 steps to the top floor in my barn removing item after item (the 42-year hoarding binge, according to my wife) so the new owner can start filling it up. I've filled up the second of two 40-foot containers with stuff from the barn this summer. Filled the other last year with tools from the ground floor. Most of that stuff required use of chain falls to get it onto the trailer and off/into the container. Just topped $1000 from the scrapyard where this summer's loads mostly have gone. Pix is one of last year's loads.

Last edited:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I do some kettleball swings as part of my gym routine. Haven't tried the Turkish Get Up but I think i might see what happens, starting with about 5 lbs!