• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Summer water sports/hobbies

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Fireworks over the lake on the 4th.
20160704_211127.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am in the middle of our annual week in a rental cottage on a lake (Wequaquatt, spellimg?) on Cape Cod. I'm too chicken for the ocean (and it is too cold). We have 4 kayaks and a windsurfer. We rented a SUP last night, going to try it out this morning since there is little wind.

Windsurfing is a lot of work when there is enough wind to make it interesting. And it is very much an equipment-intensive sport if you are serious about it -- different size sails, with the masts and booms to go with them. Maybe even different size boards. I only have two sails, a 7 sq. meter and a 9.5 sq m. one. But there is something wrong with how I have the smaller one set up; a lot of the time it feels like the wind is pulling really hard but I'm going nowhere. The big one is harder to get out of the water, but much easier to sail.
Windsurfing makes skiing seems like a sport for paupers

TS
Olesya C

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
SUP is officially my summer hobby. I have been paddling every weekend since I tried it in the beginning of June. I now own a used SUP board and all of the accessories for it. :) I also learned that there are 3 lakes within 30 min drive from where I live so plenty of place to paddle. I am going to try SUP yoga this coming weekend - I am excited.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
55 is cold. Kind of unusual for summer temps, even for coastal ME, though.

Are you on the north or south side of the cape? How'd you measure?

Here is the NOAA buoy data: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/?lat=41.500000&lon=-70.100000&zoom=6&type=oceans&status=r&pgm=&op=&ls=n
For those who prefer the big picture... here's some pictures!
https://marine.rutgers.edu/cool/sat_data/?product=sst_comp&region=bigbight&nothumbs=0
160711.193.comp.lnt.jpg

It does warm up around the cape, eventually,
160711.193.0820.n19.jpg

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Or maybe you should have taken it to the shop instead of trying to do it yourself hahahahaha. Did you remember to scrape the excess Pledge? Did you hot box your water ski for 10-15 cycles before the final coat???
Whoa, hot boxing with Pledge? That doesn't sound healthy.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My boarding is done in ocean waves. I wouldn't recommend paddling around too far off shore alone. Surfing is a pretty good full body workout. If I was on something big enough to stand and use a paddle I'd also like the option to hoist a sail... which is also a good full body workout. I just don't see the point of standing on a fatter surfboard paddling when there are so many more efficient ways to get around on the water on a board, standing or not. I predict SUP won't be a think anymore in a year or two... just like fat skis bwahahahaha..
If you have access to ocean waves, then I get why surfing might be a better option. I don't have that regular access, and I've acquired some fears that keep me out of the breakers. SUP allows a paddler to get out there in nearly any condition. A few days ago, I paddled nearly 10 miles along the Lake Champlain coast on my SUP, jumped off and took a swim, got back on, and "surfed" the Champain ferry's wake. I couldn't have done the same on a kayak or windsurfer.

That said, I used to really want to learn to windsurf. But it's just not practical for where I live. I do get to go sailing most every summer for a week, out to Block Island, with my brother. I use those trips to satisfy my sailing urges.

I got my SUP's when people were paddling up to me and asking what the heck they were; if SUP drops in popularity (I do not think it will disappear)..I'll still be out there on my beautiful boards. :)

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I got my SUP's when people were paddling up to me and asking what the heck they were; if SUP drops in popularity (I do not think it will disappear)..I'll still be out there on my beautiful boards. :)

Me too. "What is that?" etc. Now I'm not the only one out there.

If anyone would like a used windsurfer - Bic 250, come and get it!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SUP is one of the fastest growing sport markets I can think of. Kayaks and especially SUPs leave Frisco Marina like a plague of locusts each morning. It makes for a very interesting sight and a challenging start to a sail.

Sponsor