• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Summer Training For Hut Trip

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@David ,
Any aerobic exercise is good, but don’t limit it to biking. (I’m a biker, so I hate saying this), but biking shortens and weakens hip flexors, while skinning stretches and loads them.
Assuming you don’t want to get roller skis, make sure to include lot’s of hiking/running into the mix with biking.

Most people also struggle to use their glutes while biking. If you have them, rollerblading would be a good addition for that, as well as helping to keep the balancing muscles strong and active.

And finally, there is a fair bit of research showing that the best training for hiking uphill with a pack is .... hiking uphill with a pack.
I haven’t heard of any about skinning, but much of it is similar, so I think you should definitely include as much of that as you can. Multi story stairs if there are no hills near you. I like the idea of ankle weights to simulate the skis/boots weight!
And don’t forget the poles.
Doing some backpacking trips would be a great way to combine training and fun.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@David , I see a 6+ hour drive time to the UP from Holland, MI. Maybe you can do an early season XC ski long weekend there? They tend to get snow sooner than most places in the midwest.

TS
David

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Any recommendations for a sleeping bag / quilt for a hut trip? I have a synthetic 20° bag that's just way to big & heavy for this. I'm looking at a 35° (that'll be nice in summers too) but online I'm getting recommendations anywhere from a 0° to 35°.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
just happened across this article:

TS
David

David

Skier
Se
just happened across this article:

Seems like ankle weights would help too even if just to not shock the system when I get on skis again.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Google Mountain Athlete. They have a ruck program for operators that would work well. They may also come up as Tactical Athlete.

Based in Jackson. Some of their ski programs are spot on. Their kayak program misses the mark on so many levels.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My friend, who is a solid citizen class XC racer, has been really happy with his Kickbike (adult kick scooter).
It allows him to train on the bike paths in town, without trying to weave a roadbike trough kids and strollers at 25mph.
It is much more sport specific, and weightbearing. It also uses the core more than biking.
And unlike ‘training’ it is actually fun.

TS
David

David

Skier
My friend, who is a solid citizen class XC racer, has been really happy with his Kickbike (adult kick scooter).
It allows him to train on the bike paths in town, without trying to weave a roadbike trough kids and strollers at 25mph.
It is much more sport specific, and weightbearing. It also uses the core more than biking.
And unlike ‘training’ it is actually fun.

Those look like they'd be fun to try!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@David ,
I was listening to the Blister Podcast the other day, and near the end Luke Koppa walked in, from his first day of powder skiing of the season (this was Wednesday in Crested Butte), and he specifically mentioned sore/tired legs: “apparently, Mtn biking doesn’t do anything to train your hip flexors”, were his exact words.
I immediately had to think of your post.

Last edited:
TS
David

David

Skier
@David ,
I was listening to the Blister Podcast the other day, and near the end Luke Koppa walked in, from his first day of powder skiing of the season (this was Wednesday in Crested Butte), and he specifically mentioned sore/tired legs: “apparently, Mtn biking doesn’t do anything to train your hip flexors”, were his exact words.
I immediately had to think of your post.
Haha...nice to know people are thinking of me. With all the uncertainty with the coming winter there's been little talk of the hut trip. I also had a few setbacks cracked ribs and a hip injury so I'm in no shape for it this year. But I'm still planning to get some skinning days in. I want to take an Avy 1 class after the Thanksgiving weekend but I'm not sure I'll even be in shape to take the class...

TS
David

David

Skier
Oof, all the best wishes for healing up @David
Thanks. Getting stronger every week. I may have to ski myself back into shape though since it doesn't happen by itself anymore. This getting old thing is painful...

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
No matter what you do, you will still need to ski yourself into shape. Sports require specific training. While cross-training can help and is good for your health, you still will need specificity in your training -- e.g. skiing.

Mike

Sponsor

Staff online