• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Summer Olympics

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Nah you guys are suckers for a good redemption story - Phelps' DUI feature much in the celebration of his gold haul? Only in a positive dragged himself back from the abyss turned his life around etc I bet. Caveat I have seen no NBC but based on past coverage of Winter Olympics I know how terrible they are at presenting sport without soap opera.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I must confess, I too was guilty of losing all my money and making up a story rather than owning up to the truth.. when I was 19. Camping with some friends up on the VT/Canada border we went to Montreal for the day. When we were returning we made a wrong turn and cut back in to Canada from NH because it was WAY longer to drive south to find a spot to cut over to VT and back up to our campground. The border patrols were suspicious of our explanation for the erratic looking move. They searched us and found something I had advised my friend not to bring along in the first place. After messing with us for about an hour they took every bit of cash we had and said that was our fine and sent us back in to VT telling us we would be on a banned from Canada list never allowed to return.

Having no cash and 5 more days of camping and no cash for food I called my parents and told a big fat lie about losing my money when a canoe tipped. They sent me $50 fed ex. I also got a speeding ticket in MA on the way back home... Got in a fight with my friends friend while drunk too. It was still a lot of fun other than those problems. I did eventually tell my parents what really happened about 5 years later..

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Oh my, I just rewatched the video where the US runner fell in the 5000 m race and tore her ACL etc -- that knee definitely went the wrong way. <shudder>

She's a Dartmouth grad, and comes from a small town near us. Know many who know her, and aren't the least bit surprised by her sportsmanship. I thought it was tremendous, on the part of them both.
Abbie placed fifth in the trials, and was only in Rio because two qualifiers couldn't be. Obviously thrilled for the experience. She finished fourth in the 2012 trials.
Sorry about the ACL. She'll be back. Very young. Lots of grit and spunk!

Muleski

Inactive
Sally Jenkins is THE best. So on point. This guy flushed his future. Probably unemployable as a high school assistant. Just a moronic episode.

Thanks for posting the link!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like how she makes it clear that there are some legitimate robberies that have been overshadowed, not because of Lochte's stunt, but just because.

Solid article.

Muleski

Inactive
Good point, Tricia.

It is Rio, after all. Parts of the metro area are very dangerous. Note that NBC is on the beach. I haven't see any mention of the slums, the murder rate, or violent crime.

I have been there once, for two days of business. We flew in on our plane, had three security people come along for the four of us. This was a long time ago, but the clear message was that it was not a good place to "explore."

I would assume that near the venues and the village, it's the safest place on the planet right now. Brazil's economy is a real mess. Hitting this right is important. May be part of why they taken this Lochte deal seriously. Idiot.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just heard another scenario on this, on ESPN.
I guess Lochte called his mom to tell her about the robbery and she is the one who spread the story like wildfire. The question becomes, (again) Why?
Did his mommy give him some "emergency only" money that he spent, and he needed to cover his loss of the money so she wouldn't send him to his room?
He's a freaking 32 year old dude acting like a jr high twit.

Muleski

Inactive
Guessing we're not dealing with a deep gene pool.
Having had quite a bit of exposure to "elite" {I HATE that word} individual athletes, the parents cover the waterfront.
And sadly, some think the "kid" is their meal ticket.
Mom the mouthpiece. As you said, why?

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
6, 12, 0r 24 months till we see him on some cable access reality show like "Big Brother" or "Frat House" or..."Dancing with the Intelligantly Deficient?
Dr Drew..

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Muleski

Inactive
I just watched a PR/Marketing consultant on NBC explain that in his opinion Lochte's stupidity will cost him $10 MILLION!!

Yikes. What a dope.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just watched a PR/Marketing consultant on NBC explain that in his opinion Lochte's stupidity will cost him $10 MILLION!!

Yikes. What a dope.
I would say that is a accurate number.

James

Out There
Instructor
I just don't get the whole "robbery" story. They allegedly paid the gas station guy $20 US plus about $30 equiv in Brazillion currency. That's nothing, so why say you were robbed?

Worse... On Sunday, they met with USOC, State Dept, and I assume their coaches. They settled on a plan to keep it very low key and the USOC would release a statement.

Then the genius Lochte goes to the beach and runs into Billy Bush of NBC. Bush films the interview on his iphone. That's where Lochte says how he had a gun to his forehead, the guy "cocked it" and he was all "whatever bro, I'm not getting on the ground, we didn't do anything wrong". (Paraphrase of the halfwit's statement)

You just agreed to say nothing and now you tell the world a tale so shocking everyone will look into it.

The statement itself is so ludicrous. It's out of a video game world. I can only suppose he thought it would make him look good. Which just shows an amazing lack of understanding of cops, Brazil/Rio, the media, the world. I mean he accused the cops essentially of robbing him. He didn't think they'd look into it?? Unbelievable.

Had they just said nothing probably not much would've happened. Maybe the story would come out of the gas station. Then they just apologize, say how stupid they were and pay some money.

I almost blame Billy Bush of Nbc for not alerting somone else instead of going public right away. The story is so outrageous, maybe call up someone first before you air this? I guess the mom story though gave credibility to it.

His name is going to become a verb/adverb/adjective.
"Dude, don't Lochte me with that bs story!"
A really stupid idea:
"That's a real Lochte plan you've cooked up."

scott43

Skier
I almost blame Billy Bush of Nbc for not alerting somone else instead of going public right away.

I mean, if he wanted to do him a solid...but really, he's a journalist. It's really their job to break stories so he must have had some serious momentum pushing him to releasing the story ASAP.

Muleski

Inactive
This might be in the degrees of separation world. I first met Billy Bush 25+ years ago. He's a very close friend of a few of my younger buddies, and they are still a tight group. He's a good guy, and unlike Lochte, he's VERY smart.
But, in all honesty, I'd describe Billy at least until very recently as a TV personality. He might have been into entertainment "journalism", but I don't think that hosting Access Holywood and doing his radio show {all entertainment personality stuff} is serious journalism.
I would imagine that he got Louche's comments, did the interview, and that his producers thought "This is good stuff. We need to jump on this." He does work for NBC......

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if he said "I'm having time buying this", and made sure that Lotche was firm in those comments. "Are you sure? You're OK if I go on record on this?"

I don't fault BB. Lochte? Love James' last paragraph! Don't pull a Lotche!

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone remember Ruthless People? Do you remember Bill Paxton's character? Does it remind anyone of Ryan Lochte? And maybe in intelligence?

Ruthless.jpg

I think this is Bill Pullman.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Steele Johnson - unique name for a guy in a speedo.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsor