• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Summer Olympics

James

Out There
Instructor
The Puig-Kerber match, all of Del Potro's were worth having it in the Olympics. I even saw Venus in mixed doubles get beat and it was a good match. There was almost no one in the stadium.

Puig is a legit contender if being the most famous person in Puerto Rico doesn't get to her.
All of these matches have set up a good US Open.

Rio needs to go to Winbledon and learn about ball boys/girls. I've never seen them wave and wait for towels. Murray also ran into one of the line judges during a point. That seems to be because the back wall is well behind the judges.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not sure where a good option would be for a permanent location; however, Salt Lake City did say they could have taken up the challenge if Sochi couldn't do it. I can't remember how the DH course was there--I don't think it was the most difficult course in the world. That being said, it will be a mini-Olympics there in 2019 when they hold several FIS World Championships in a two-week span. I think that will be the precursor to another bid.

I didn't think the Boston bid would go anywhere, but the 2024 Los Angeles one seems promising at first glance. Based on a talk by Janet Evans, most of the infrastructure is there for both the venues and athletes accommodations. (Sorry, can't find the video right now.)
The Olympic Downhill (and Super G) were held at SnowBasin. In theory, I agree that the Olympics should be held at a handful of cities/regions that are rooted, that way the infrastructure is always there and could be maintianed for training. But if there are five main sites, that means, it will come back around every 20 years, how will those structures hold up 40 years later for that second time through? Chances are, not well.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Tough soccer loss for the Korean men. I was pulling for them, but that Honduras keeper was off the charts bulletproof!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Suddenly I'm the world expert on the problems inherent with the electric derny bike

Jason Kenny - fastest man in the Olympics

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sweden Vs Germany for Women's Gold. Can Sweden do it again??

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ya, there has to be some level of sportsmanship and class demonstrated by the host nation towards their guests. Boo the plays and the calls, not the playa!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
It's a cultural thing - the locals (&indeed some of the travelling Olympic generalist fans) don't seem to know the finer points of etiquette for each sport and revert to what they do at a football game, cheers their guy, boo the opposition. It's nothing personal although if you come up against a Brazilian contender it does give him/her significant homefield advantage. We've seen crowds (or indeed lack of crowds) at the golf and tennis behave very differently to what is traditional. Personally I like it as flavour. If as a competitor you let it get to you you've probably lost the mental game already. Certain examples like in an otherwise silent arena shouting "miss" just a player goes to strike the ball excepted.

James

Out There
Instructor
They learned to be quiet in tennis, they're quiet at the start of track races, they don't boo gymnasts. So they can learn to not boo individuals in track. There's nothing festive about raining hate on someone who's done nothing but spend their whole lives working on a sport and is making next to nothing from it. If it's a cultural thing change the culture. The winning Brazilian pole vaulter can say something.

These may be the most poorly attended events since Athens. It's a shame.
Meanwhile an Irish IOC member was arrested for alleged illegal ticket selling.

http://www.euronews.com/2016/08/17/...ion-to-arrest-irish-ioc-member-patrick-hickey

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
French guy was booed on the podium today. Probably because he compared Brazilian crowd to Nazis at the 38 games. Best way to handle it would have been for Brazilian guy to step down from his step and put an arm round him IMV.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, Britian passed China in medal count. Impressive.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Home court advantage. I'm sorry his feelings were hurt! :D

I'm all for that in competitions where there are home and away games for all teams in the competition each season. Not so much for the Olympics. Not saying there shouldn't be any emotions, but keep it classy when you have guests or your location won't be as enticing next time the decision of location is made.,

James

Out There
Instructor
Home court advantage. I'm sorry his feelings were hurt! :D
It has nothing to do with feelings.

But it is always a losing situation when the aggrieved athlete takes on fans. And comparing them to Berlin 1936 was worse than Hope Solo's comments about Sweden and very stupid.
This is why the winning athlete should comment. He was ok with balling publicly after he won, he should stand up for his fellow competitor. But maybe he did.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester