• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Summer heat getting you down? we hit the 30's last night

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
GbrMrY2fSlSmTmJxbXpvcQ.jpg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I was up north last weekend there was definitely the September chill in the night.. Rainy and humid this weekend in the big city but I know that fall is in the mail..CNE is on, summer is winding down..my 4 year old starts JK in a few weeks..have to start thinking about fall gear for riding again..and where we're going skiing this year. :D

Reactions: Ron

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Ha! We hit 38 here today.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Starting to see some hints of color in plants, and the mid-50's in the morning.

Tick, tick, tick.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
*sigh*... the lowest overnight temp predicted here for the next two weeks is 62... low temp tonight is 73!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@Ron , that’s pretty high humidity for out there. Did it rain during the night?

not really, every AM you get dew. so the sensor is covered in moisture It burns off pretty quickly plus, I dont know how accurate my sensor is for humidity.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Ron , that’s pretty high humidity for out there. Did it rain during the night?

not really, every AM you get dew. so the sensor is covered in moisture It burns off pretty quickly plus, I dont know how accurate my sensor is for humidity.

When the days are still warm, or warm-ish, and there's moisture in the air, cold nights will generally always have high humidity.

"Relative humidity" (which is what we usually just call "humidity") is the percent of moisture in the air, compared to the maximum amount it can hold (without rain/fog). Cold air can't hold as much moisture, so as the temperature drops, the humidity measurement goes up without any change to the actual amount of water in the air. That's also why cold nights often get dew/frost - because the temperature drops below the point where the air can hold on to its existing moisture content.

When winter rolls around and you get consistently cold, the air is dryer overall both day and night, so the relative humidity stays lower usually.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It was in the 60's most of yesterday. I'm not sure we had any 90 degrees this summer. I feel like we had two weeks of sort of summer (high 80's) and we're done. Ideal, in my opinion. Not at all what was expected. I was expecting a miserable fire season, but we've had regular rain. Fire danger had reached Very High quite late just last week, then we had a soaking rain two nights back. It's mid August and my grass is green. I hope it keeps up.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
When the days are still warm, or warm-ish, and there's moisture in the air, cold nights will generally always have high humidity.

"Relative humidity" (which is what we usually just call "humidity") is the percent of moisture in the air, compared to the maximum amount it can hold (without rain/fog). Cold air can't hold as much moisture, so as the temperature drops, the humidity measurement goes up without any change to the actual amount of water in the air. That's also why cold nights often get dew/frost - because the temperature drops below the point where the air can hold on to its existing moisture content.

When winter rolls around and you get consistently cold, the air is dryer overall both day and night, so the relative humidity stays lower usually.

AKA. "Dew Point".

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We have been having a pretty mild summer in the PNW. I can’t recall more than a day or two in the 90’s, and we’ve been in the 80’s once or twice a week. Today the high is 74, we might get up to 82 on Tuesday. Overnight lows aren’t that cold, though, mid-50’s.

I was in DC and southeast PA/DE in mid-July, 95-100 degrees with lots of humidity, took some getting used to. Kept a rental car for a couple days longer than expected due to it having AC, rather than rely on the Metro.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
the heat and humidity have been very high here in the S ADK's and RAIN... torrential rain, mega winds and thunderstorms with non stop lightening. The sugar maples have been turning since end of July some of the red leaves knocked down by the rains. A couple of high 30's and low 40's ...I can't wait to ski!

Sponsor

Staff online