• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Suggestions Please for Lower Elevation Resorts

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I would appreciate suggestions for ski resorts at lower elevations. My wife has suffered altitude sickness that last four years at Telluride (8750' base) and Snowmass (8200' base), and I simply have to find an alternative. She even spent 3 days in Denver this March, to acclimatize, and was diligent about taking the altitude sickness pills and hydrating. She loves Telluride, the town itself, better than Snowmass or Aspen. For me, the skiing is great at either.

Whistler Blackcomb is the first that comes to my mind. But, the Village doesn't compare to the town of Telluride. Mont Tremblant, but that is a much smaller ski area and the village also doesn't compare. I'd prefer to stay in North America.

Any suggestions for skiing comparable to Telluride and Aspen and a town comparable to Telluride, but at lower elevation? Thanks

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Everything in British Columbia and Alberta is at a lower elevation than pretty much anything in the American West . The villages are less as well. If you don't like Whistler Village, you might be SOL. Banff is a great town, and Lake Louise and Sunshine are fantastic places to ski. You might not like that they a distance away from town though.
You may have to settle for less . Sometimes life is like that .

On another note, something I do before going to a high altitude resort, is 2 weeks before, I give blood . The theory is you get rid of the old thick sludge , and the fresh new red blood cells that get made take up O2 much better. An old timer in Colorado told my Dad about that years ago, when he had trouble with the altitude. Ive been doing it for years now, and it seems to work . Never have a problem. (apart from my general lack of fitness , that is!!) It may be complete placebo effect, but doesn't hurt . And you get to feel somewhat good about giving blood.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Whitefish town is at 3000 feet. It's a great town, plenty of restaurants and shops. Breweries. Free bus between town and ski area. The base of the mountain is at 4400 feet. The summit is 6800. So, if Denver is fine for her, here will be fine. I used to get horrible, multi day migraines when I lived at sea level and skied in Colorado, never got them visiting here. Now I live here, of course, so I've acclimated.

The town is a real town, not some Walt Disney pseudo town. Its background is logging and railroads, far before there was a ski area. Even now, it's summer tourism that is the main attraction, as we are near Glacier National Park. The winter crowds are increasing as the Visitor Bureau is getting more successful, but I don't think the tipping point into horror has occurred quite yet. (Although if we make SKI mag's Top Ten again, I may be looking at other alternatives. Thank God for our fog.)

For info on the mountain, check out my site, link below.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I guess the question is are you going for the skiing, or the town? The one thing about WB is Vancouver isn't that far away. Sports - check!, Culture - check! Lots to do. As for Tremblant, the resort village is crap - yeah, I live it in when I'm there. But the Old Tremblant village and St, Jovite secteurs are more like a regular town. But you need to drive or take the bus. As graham418 says, Banff is great town, but you'll need to drive or bus to the slopes. The Eastern Townships are Quebec would be similar. Great skiing, small villages, great food, but need a car.

I suffer too from altitude so I know her problem. I've had enough of Whistler, next trip out west will be the interior of BC.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The fog issue is related to the lakes. IF THE LAKES FREEZE EARLY, like last season, the bad viz days are directly related to snow coming down. If, however, it's a warm winter like 14-15 and 15-16, then the lakes may never freeze and you can have day after day of really bad visibility, like being unable to see the chair dangling ahead of you. I used to complain about two chair days until I ran into zero chair days. Now I say, well, you can still see two chairs, not so bad. But those days still require you to think your route. Where is the sun, where are the trees, will this trail be mogulled up, etc. There are skiers for whom this is not an issue (my daughter - you ski with your feet, mom! Not your eyes!) but this is an issue for many. It's certainly possible to hit a week here and never see fog, but it depends on the season and the weather.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
@karlo, do you have a preference location-wise? East coast an option? The Village is about 1000 feet. The summit of Mansfield is about 4000 feet. Charming New England town. Iconic Village. Great restaurants, great options for lodging. The skiing is really great. We have a lot of Stowe Regulars, and locals on here.

I grew up skiing there. Any time that I have suggested a list, people have loved it. That includes friends from Europe. We don't need to start an Epic debate, on East versus West. Skiing is not the same, but I have have skied everywhere and have had some of my best days ever at Stowe. Just saying.

If the trip is about more than just the skiing, it's pretty neat. Also close enough to check out Sugarbush, and the real icon, Mad River Glen.

West....Tahoe Basin? Lake elevation is less than 6000 feet. Lots of locals there as well.

Jackson Hole is a a touch over 6000 feet, at the valley floor.

@Philpug and @Tricia were recently East, at Stowe and MRG. Also agree that Whitefish is pretty great.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Thank you!

Banff is a great town, and Lake Louise and Sunshine

She likes it. We were there to bike. I can bus it or drive.

Sun Valley

I'll research it.

I've been thinking of going. But, for the family, on school break, maybe too far.

the interior of BC.

Any suggestions to look into?

Worth looking into. The fog gives me pause. I (fondly?) recall taking my wife and 5-year old daughter up Stowe in very heavy snow, very poor visibility all the way down, and my daughter yelling all the way down to my wife, "who let Daddy make the decisions? He's not making anymore decisions!". My wife led her down; she was not about to follow me. Ok, fondly, we laugh about it now, or I do.

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
'the Village doesn't compare to the town of Telluride'
Not sure what that means. Is Telluride more genuine and Whistler more contrived? Perhaps you want more/less night life, more/less tourists or ?
FWIW I dislike Whistler and describe it to non-ski friends as Vegas with snow. As mentioned earlier, BC has lots of great skiing comparable or better than Whistler but no comparable villages. The most 'genuine' 1900ish ex mining town in BC would be Fernie. Very good skiing but the town is a distant second to Whitefish which is not as good skiing as Fernie.
I would agree with agreen that Jackson Hole is the best combination of funky cool town and excellent skiing.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Stowe. Sugarbush.

Jackson Hole!!!

Thank you!

Stowe is absolutely fantastic. I highly recommend for both Alpine and Nordic. In fact, we have a timeshare there. Sugarbush is also a once a season pilgrimage for us, as is the French restaurant, Chez Henri. No town to speak of though. Looking further afield than Vermont and ADK. In the East, Quebec would be an option; mid-March, so not excessively cold.

I like Jackson Hole. Plus, the Nordic skiing amongst moose, lunching on a frozen lake under the Grand Tetons, amazing. But, I'm pretty sure the village won't make the cut for my wife.

Edit: Hmm. Jackson Hole, or Banff as per above? Maybe my wife drives into Jackson, rather than me driving to Lake Louise? :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@karlo You've gotten some great options for low altitude skiing out west, (and east).
From my personal history with a relative who had a lung condition that created altitude issues, try this herbal supplement. New Chapter Breathe.
I was turned on to it about 9 years ago. Your wife should start taking it a week before the trip and continue to take it throughout the trip for altitude relief.

Also, DP is a pulmonologist from the Denver area who wrote a great article about adjusting to altitude.
I think I have a draft of it from back when I was doing some article editing on EpicSki. I'll shoot him a message and ask if he minds if I publish it here.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
'the Village doesn't compare to the town of Telluride'
Not sure what that means. Is Telluride more genuine and Whistler more contrived? Perhaps you want more/less night life, more/less tourists or ?

I am also trying to understand what is the quality of Telluride that you are looking for elsewhere at lower elevation? Beautiful scenery? Steamboat, South Lake Tahoe, and Park City are fairly robust ski towns near good skiing and at lower elevation of about 6500".

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FWIW, Northstar Tahoe base is 6,330. Summit is 8,600. That could be manageable for her.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Big Sky has a base at around 7,000 feet. Had fun out there.