• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Suggestions for towns near Jackson Hole and Big Sky to rent airbnb in next February.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
First off, we are doing a 10 week IKON family ski trip so we are on a budget which means we aren't looking for slope-side or necessarily even in the resort town itself as the prices are 2-3X+ what they are further out. Looking on airbnb, rentals are limited and even more so since we'll have our dog with us so we are looking in the 45-90 min window which will obviously mean longer during storms but I'm pretty die hard and don't mind an epic drive to get there early for fresh turns. I grew up in Tahoe and am comfortable in the snow but could really use some local knowledge as there is a big difference between having a tall, curvy pass to go over each time vs a town that might be a further drive away without the sketchy roads.

J Hole- If we were to rent something around Victor/Diggs, how is 33 compared to a town where we'd be driving 89 or 191?

Big Sky- we have friends with a HUGE home in Island Park which looks like it's a fairly long hike up to Big Sky (85 miles) but it would be free and they have half a dozen snowmobiles so it's tempting to stay there even if it's just part of the week that we plan to ski Big Sky. How gnarly would the drive be from there up 191 to Big Sky?

We've found affordable and convenient lodging for our month in SLC and 2 weeks in Colorado but are having a more difficult time in these 2 locations. The past 2 years we spent the winter in Colorado and some of the places we skied were 90 minute from the house we rented while others were much closer but we made do. My wife and kids typically only ski 3 days per week and prefer sunny days whereas I typically ski 6 days per week and cherry pick the powder days which means I won't have the family with me if the long blizzard drive gets especially epic.

Thanks for your help!

Tony

tseeb
Skier
There is a big pass between Victor/Driggs and Jackson (Teton Pass) that can close due to avalanches. The alternative via Alpine Junction is a long way around and even that can close between there and Jackson. Have you looked at motels in Jackson? Some of them have free shuttles to resort and winter prices are a lot lower than summer. Motel 6 is as reasonable as anything in Jackson and allows pets at no charge.

Island Park would be a long drive to Big Sky, but road is generally good 2-lane with no big passes. It could work for a day or two, but more than that would be exhausting. Since some of the route is inside Yellowstone, don't get a ticket there as it can be a federal offense requiring an appearance at federal court. Staying in Bozeman or Belgrade and skiing Big Sky would also quickly get old as it's going to be over hour with any traffic and there are a lot of shady and possibly icy corners along river.

When we were at Big Sky for Gathering in late Feb this year, Hwy 20 between W Yellowstone and Island Park was closed for a couple of days due to blowing snow. Luckily it opened before we got to W Yellowstone so we could use shortest winter route to Driggs after staying in W Yellowstone. Having to take alternatives in that area usually adds many hours to your travel time.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
A ton of a ton of people commute from Victor/Driggs to Jackson. Victor especially is basically a bedroom community for Jackson. It is certainly doable, just know that the pass is spicy driving during a storm. If you don't need to ski every powder day early, it can work. Especially if you're willing to occasionally pickup a day pass to Grand Targhee, or go backcountry skiing or snowshoeing on the west side of the pass. There is a ton of fantastic mellow recreation on the west side of the Tetons. Plus Driggs is a cool lil town in itself.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am curious where you found a place in SLC. My wife and I are considering driving with the dog and staying a couple of months there this coming winter

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Big Sky- we have friends with a HUGE home in Island Park which looks like it's a fairly long hike up to Big Sky (85 miles) but it would be free and they have half a dozen snowmobiles so it's tempting to stay there even if it's just part of the week that we plan to ski Big Sky. How gnarly would the drive be from there up 191 to Big Sky?

Island Park to Big Sky is a long drive on wilderness roads punctuated by West Yellowstone, especially at night in falling or blowing snow. MT plows at night unlike WY, not sure about ID. Your idea of staying there enjoying the snow machines and hitting YNP, then staying in Big Sky or Gallatin Gateway may be a better option. YNP, while not part of the IKON plan, is wonderful in winter.

Tip: gas prices in West Yellowstone are always more expensive than the jacked up Big Sky prices if you need to top off the tank.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Last time we were out there we rented an RV and parked it at Fireside. Not sure how that fares in the winter though.. Heard awhile back there's a Motel 6 out that way that's one of the cheaper options.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Last time we were out there we rented an RV and parked it at Fireside. Not sure how that fares in the winter though.. Heard awhile back there's a Motel 6 out that way that's one of the cheaper options.
If I remember correctly, @DanoT found it cheaper to rent a room and keep his RV at the Motel 6 than to rent a space at the RV campground.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
If I remember correctly, @DanoT found it cheaper to rent a room and keep his RV at the Motel 6 than to rent a space at the RV campground.

It might vary a bit from year to year or time of year but a nightly rate at the Motel 6 in Jackson is $300/night in summer drops to $50/night in winter if taken by the week. The rooms are small (but not compared to an RV) and recently remodeled including laminate flooring which is easier for staff to keep clean than carpets. With the weekly rate you usually get a frig and microwave and free WiFi. The only campground that is open in winter is close to $60/night.

I have heard of some TGR Maggots parking overnight at the TGR Headquarters in Wilson but downtown Jackson is pretty strict about no RV overnight parking.

TS
surfandski

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
Thanks for all the comments. In Jackson we ended doing the Motel 6. Definitely not as convenient as a house but I moved the J Hole and Big Sky portions to the front of our trip when the stoke is still high so we'll get the hotel portion out of the way first and then be more comfortable in houses the rest of the trip.