• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Suggestions for replacing our new Subaru Outback with something not so fragile/frustrating

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I do, @Monique. And what she has been offered, by somebody who wants to replace one with 250K+ miles, is something that she would be nuts to pass up. Let me just say it's $15K+. Quite a bit plus. This guy wants the color, can't believe the service records, and his mechanic said some thing like "you will not find another like this......" Since this guy prefers the car to any of the 2010 through current models {his choice, right??}, he seems to be willing to just get it done. He's evidently a wealthy guy who just wants one in his ski house garage, next to his Range Rover. Sounds good to her....

Of course, what ensues is the conversation of what to replace it with.....which gets complicated! And the thinking that "if HE wants it this much, maybe I should keep it......", which I suggest is not smart.
Some times you just make the deal!

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I've had a 2003 Highlander and a 2013 Outback. They are somewhat different vehicles. The Highlander was probably the finest vehicle I've owned..superbly built and engineered. The Outback is not a bad car..just not as good as a Highlander in many ways. The Outback was a lot cheaper having said that.

I still have my 2003 Highlander. The finest vehicle for me as well. 268K miles and still hanging in. Cloth trim is fraying, there are a few stone dings in the windshield and paint, but it still gets me to the slopes and back.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I do, @Monique. And what she has been offered, by somebody who wants to replace one with 250K+ miles, is something that she would be nuts to pass up. Let me just say it's $15K+. Quite a bit plus. This guy wants the color, can't believe the service records, and his mechanic said some thing like "you will not find another like this......" Since this guy prefers the car to any of the 2010 through current models {his choice, right??}, he seems to be willing to just get it done. He's evidently a wealthy guy who just wants one in his ski house garage, next to his Range Rover. Sounds good to her....

Of course, what ensues is the conversation of what to replace it with.....which gets complicated! And the thinking that "if HE wants it this much, maybe I should keep it......", which I suggest is not smart.
Some times you just make the deal!

WOW. Yeah, I wouldn't expect that number to crop up again. Take the wealthy guy's money and run!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Flame suit on, getting ready to be bombarded by Loyal Clan Subaru, but there is no comparison between the Outback and Highlander.

I've spent a lot of time in both, and there just isn't much similarity. Two different levels of vehicles.

Of course, you'll probably spend more for the Highlander, and you WILL use more fuel, if either of those are deal breakers.

Not to worry, I have my 2005 Forester with almost 250K miles, and when Shamora sold her 1997 Legacy Outback, she got a lightly-used 2005 Highlander. I don’t know if it’s a fair comparison between the two as the RAV4 would be a closer comparison to the Forester. Nonetheless, the Highlander is much more solid and quiet on the road, and our vehicle of choice for road trips. For weekend warrior ski trips my Forester is still a perfect-for-me ski car.

The Highlander is not a heavy-duty vehicle by any means. We have an old Ford Explorer for hauling heavy s#^t around, though I would not drive that thing on a trip, it will probably die before the other vehicles.

Not sure what I’ll get to replace the Subie after I hit 300K. I’ll have to see what the Foresters/Outbacks are like, or look at the VW Alltrack. OTOH, a Landcruiser is looking appealing....

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Land Cruiser does sound appealing, but what if you don't do your own maintenance? Is it still such a great vehicle?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Land Cruiser does sound appealing, but what if you don't do your own maintenance? Is it still such a great vehicle?
Absolutely. I've had most the service done on my Tundra at the local Toyota dealers and they have been great. I prefer Mountain States at I-25 & 36, but Boulder Toyota has been fine too.

Even more so than my Tundra, with a Land Cruiser I wouldn't expect more than standard maintenance below 150K. The timing belt at 90K is the big ticket item to keep in mind on the 4.7L V8. The 5.7L V8 on the newer Toyota's has a timing chain that doesn't need to be replaced. It makes those vehicles a bit more attractive to me in spite of their behemoth size. I'm sure I can fill the behemoths up with gear, though. :rolleyes:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Absolutely. I've had most the service done on my Tundra at the local Toyota dealers and they have been great. I prefer Mountain States at I-25 & 36, but Boulder Toyota has been fine too.

Even more so than my Tundra, with a Land Cruiser I wouldn't expect more than standard maintenance below 150K. The timing belt at 90K is the big ticket item to keep in mind on the 4.7L V8. The 5.7L V8 on the newer Toyota's has a timing chain that doesn't need to be replaced. It makes those vehicles a bit more attractive to me in spite of their behemoth size. I'm sure I can fill the behemoths up with gear, though. :rolleyes:

I need the Subaru for Boulder parking now ... but maybe by the time I'm considering a new vehicle, the LC would make more sense.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Absolutely. It makes those vehicles a bit more attractive to me in spite of their behemoth size. I'm sure I can fill the behemoths up with gear, though. :rolleyes:

"behemoth" is in the eye of beholder ... ogsmile

My 2005 Silverado is not that big by many standards but my eldest loved driving it as it earned a degree of respect or fear. ... noted was fewer people tailgated or cut in front .. etc.

One item on older vehicles for me is besides that added non needed techno garb ... that at 10 yrs, I start to fret airbags. Don't recall but thought years back that 10 to 15yr was considered default to trust them as reliable.

TS
surfandski

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
Flame suit on, getting ready to be bombarded by Loyal Clan Subaru, but there is no comparison between the Outback and Highlander.

I've spent a lot of time in both, and there just isn't much similarity. Two different levels of vehicles.

Of course, you'll probably spend more for the Highlander, and you WILL use more fuel, if either of those are deal breakers.

You are absolutely right on this as I just got home about an hour ago after picking up a 2015 Highlander in Destin, Fl! Obviously I'm in the honeymoon phase so I'll try to be fair here but even though this Highlander had 66k miles on it, it puts the Outback and my Lexus RX to shame on the highway and drives as good as the 2018s we test drove. Yesterday I drove the Outback up and it is a much busier vehicle at highways speeds between the unplanted/chattery suspension and lighter feel. Granted, I'm still convinced my suspension was not 100% and was worried I was going to wear out another set of rear tires but it was just me in the car so I kept the speed below 60 and did not have excessive tire wear. Alberto hit Destin about 1pm and I was a couple hours behind it but had plenty of rain and wind to deal with. It actually rained more today and was still very windy so it was a good opportunity to compare the vehicles. At times it was raining so hard today that I had to slow way down to even see and there was zero concern of hydroplaning in the Highlander. I won't bash the Outback but I will say that this Highlander even puts my Lexus to shame in how planted it felt in gusty winds and torrential rain. The roads are really good here but hitting bumps or transitions between asphalt and concrete bridges, the Outback suspension is very busy and would chatter around when unloaded to where it feels slightly out of control momentarily (as in don't even think of removing your hands from the steering wheel) until it recovered and the Highlander would suck up the bump and the steering wheel wouldn't even flinch to where I could have my hands completely off the wheel like it was on auto pilot. It's longer and heavier but it drives even heavier than it really is and is more stable than even the Lexus. I averaged 25.9 on the first tank and 26.0 on the 2nd at 70mph which is about the same as the Outback (granted it was just me in the car today) and much better than my Lexus. However, for a V6 with a reliable transmission to compete with a 4 cyl with a CVT, I was very impressed and there wasn't that hard downshifting on the hills like we get in our V6 Lexus or the Subaru.

When I posted this thread, the Highlander wasn't even on our radar but a couple people here and several on TGR said the Highlander sounded perfect for what we were looking for and that sure appears to be true! I appreciate everyone's input in this car search but especially want to thank whoever it was that recommended the Highlander as it appears to be everything that we had hoped the Outback would be and much more with that 3rd row! Carrying exactly what we took on this year's ski trip, I don't think this thing is even going to flinch on next year's trip!

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
There seem to be a lot of very solid independent mechanics with Land Cruiser experience all over the county. To be honest, I trust my guy and his right hand mechanic much more that I trust any of the three Toyota dealers near us. One of the reasons that we stick with them. Of course, keep in mind that our newest is 10 years old. We’ll see if we stick with them, when we need to make a move. Hunch is we will.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
"behemoth" is in the eye of beholder ... ogsmile

My 2005 Silverado is not that big by many standards but my eldest loved driving it as it earned a degree of respect or fear. ... noted was fewer people tailgated or cut in front .. etc.

One item on older vehicles for me is besides that added non needed techno garb ... that at 10 yrs, I start to fret airbags. Don't recall but thought years back that 10 to 15yr was considered default to trust them as reliable.

While I wouldn't rely on it for safety, this factor is a pleasant benefit. I've driven a lot of vehicles from Motorcycles to four door pickups, and this factor is very real. While on the motorcycle I knew a lot of folk don't look for bikes, so I just pretended to be invisible, so discount that one. I've also put lots of miles on a Chevy Chevette, Pontiac Wave (Chevy aveo clone), and a number of BIG old-fashioned station wagons. The number of people pushing their way in front of me when I clearly had the right of way with the chevette and wave far exceeded the number of people doing that when I was driving the wagon, and even fewer people disrespected the 4-door pickup.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The number of people pushing their way in front of me when I clearly had the right of way with the chevette and wave far exceeded the number of people doing that when I was driving the wagon, and even fewer people disrespected the 4-door pickup
I've certainly noticed that pickups around here don't bother to give me my side of the road in either the Audi or my Alltrack. They act like I'm a motorcycle and drive on my side of the road.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
You coulve modded the Outback a touch:

IMG_1354.jpeg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe get a fake moose and tie it on the hood?

Just add some dents, hanging metal and primer!

found similar effect with a small Nissan King Cab years ago, except that it was rusted with a few holes, dented, cracked windshield, side mirror , spots of primer.. etc. I would commonly get the "you go first wave" at 4 way stops even when I pulled up second and on their left.

The vehicle just called out "I don't care, take your chance"

miss that truck, 4 banger would always fire up in coldest of winter and even with single wheel rear drive, a set of tire cables kept me going in 10 in blizzards. However once I needed a small pc of plywood to hold up the bed's right wheel well, and with an infant to transport ... felt best to trade.

scott43

Skier
Not to stoke the fire more, but I just brought home twelve rolls of sod in the Outback . What do you figure that is? 250 to 300 pounds? I wouldn't say it was on the bump stops but it was definitely down an inch and a half or two inches of ride height..

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not to stoke the fire more, but I just brought home twelve rolls of sod in the Outback . What do you figure that is? 250 to 300 pounds? I wouldn't say it was on the bump stops but it was definitely down an inch and a half or two inches of ride height..

funny,

looked at sod a few weeks back for a project, if recalling right typical cut pc is 20 x 40 inches (about) .. 18 pc per sq and at 300 -350 lbs per square. This varies a lot on moisture content. So, 12 rolls would be 2/3 or 200 - 230 lbs about.

less you mean them big full rolls! 3yds/roll ... then you hauled some 12000lbs!!!! :roflmao:

scott43

Skier
funny,

looked at sod a few weeks back for a project, if recalling right typical cut pc is 20 x 40 inches (about) .. 18 pc per sq and at 300 -350 lbs per square. This varies a lot on moisture content. So, 12 rolls would be 2/3 or 200 - 230 lbs about.

less you mean them big full rolls! 3yds/roll ... then you hauled some 12000lbs!!!! :roflmao:
Yeah..I was being generous to the Outback.. :D And just going by how heavy they are to lift..but they aren't really heavy..just awkward to carry with style..

Sponsor

Staff online