• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tedin415

Booting up
Skier
I thought I would take advantage of the end of season sales to buy some new frontside skis. Just a bit about me -- I'm 52 yo, 5'6", 120 lb., consider myself an expert, but these days, I'm less power and more finesse. I ski primarily at Deer Valley and Park City. A couple of years ago, as a result of a medical issue, I went from 170 lb. down to my current 120 lb. Before then, my two-ski quiver consisted of the K2 Pinnacle 105 in 177cm and the Volkl Kanjo in 175cm. But I came to the realization that I just wasn't having fun on either of these skis -- I just couldn't flex them at my lower weight and was getting bucked around in moguls. So last year, I swapped the K2's for a pair of Bent Chetler 100 in 164cm -- shortest skis I've owned since junior high school, but what a blast to get on some playful skis that I could toss around in powder and take into the bumps. They remind me of the Salomon Shoguns that I owned 10 years ago.

Now it's time to replace the Kanjos, which I never really loved much, anyway. What I'm looking for are some narrower skis (let's say < 80mm waist) that I can rail on Deer Valley groomer days. Earlier this year, I demo'd the Rossi Hero Elite ST Ti in 157 cm -- I thought the Rossi rep was crazy when he suggested this length, but they were incredibly fun. Couldn't believe the combination of quickness and stability on such a short ski. However, I did realize that they might be fun for a couple of runs, but I probably wouldn't want to ski a whole day on them. And, while carving is the primary goal, I wouldn't mind being able to take these skis into the bumps on occasion.

I'm assuming that I should be focused on something in the 160-165cm range, but would be interested in hearing any other thoughts on ski length. I'd like to throw out a few skis that I have been considering, but would welcome any other suggestions: Head iRally (163cm), Atomic Redster S7 (160cm), Head V8 or V10, Salomon S/Max 12 (165cm), and Nordica Dobermann Spitfire Ti (162cm), Kastle MX67 (162cm). As a wild card, there is someone selling a used pair of Kastle RX12 SL in 155cm -- I imagine those might be similar to the Hero Elite ST - super turny and fast, but maybe just too much for a whole day.

Any thoughts on the skis I mentioned, or any other suggestions? In particular, I'm wondering whether any of them would be too burly for a 120 lb guy, and also whether any would be feasible in the bumps. Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You have a great list started. Paging @Tony S to the Pugski Courtesy Phone.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I ski the Rossi ST carbon. Not available anymore. But I'm 5'4 and 150 lb. And my ski is 161. So I think that's a little short for you!! And remember I'm old...So....

I found the Redster's a problem with finding the sweet spot. But it's been a few years since I demo'd...

So,...if you're not in a rush...go demo and have some fun.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Maybe try the Dynastar Speed Master SL. Bought this after testing a bunch of front side carvers including the head iRally (which was also made my short list) and Rossi Hero ST. I'm a little heavier than you 155lbs and use the 173cm. A ski buddy who would be closer to your weight has the 163.

I found the Dynastar to have a slightly more secure feel in wide radius turns than the iRally (170) even though the listed ski radii are almost the same. It feels slightly less nimble in short radius. Nice ski for the bumps as well. It was the only ski I used during my season (7 weeks in a row) regardless of snow conditions (firm, pow, whatever) so shouldn't be a problem as all day every day driver given you are quite a bit younger.

The ski comes in 2 packages: the R22 and the Konect. Same ski, different binding system according to a local dealer. The R22 is plate based and supposedly makes the ski a little more expert only according to the marketing blurb. I went for the Konect as that's the package I demo-ed.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
My favorite front side ski is 172 Blizzard 8.0ca. I'm 5'8" 150

TS
T

Tedin415

Booting up
Skier
Maybe try the Dynastar Speed Master SL. Bought this after testing a bunch of front side carvers including the head iRally (which was also made my short list) and Rossi Hero ST. I'm a little heavier than you 155lbs and use the 173cm. A ski buddy who would be closer to your weight has the 163.

I found the Dynastar to have a slightly more secure feel in wide radius turns than the iRally (170) even though the listed ski radii are almost the same. It feels slightly less nimble in short radius. Nice ski for the bumps as well. It was the only ski I used during my season (7 weeks in a row) regardless of snow conditions (firm, pow, whatever) so shouldn't be a problem as all day every day driver given you are quite a bit younger.

The ski comes in 2 packages: the R22 and the Konect. Same ski, different binding system according to a local dealer. The R22 is plate based and supposedly makes the ski a little more expert only according to Bthe marketing blurb. I went for the Konect as that's the package I demo-ed.

Thank you for the great suggestion - I hadn't actually thought much about Dynastar. I should mention that I found the Hero ST thoroughly unpleasant in the bumps -- not sure if that's mostly because I am just used to skiing softer-flexing skis. Do you think I would have the same experience with the Dynastars? I had intentionally left off the top "race-inspired" skis off my list because of this concern -- hence, the Redster S7 instead of S9, and Dobermann Ti instead of RB. Figured they would be just a bit softer and more suitable for my weight.

TS
T

Tedin415

Booting up
Skier
I am a bit bigger than you, (5'7" and 160 lbs) and got the Head V8 for my eastern frontside ski last year. A good choice for lighter skiers.

The V8 is definitely high on my list -- I actually bought the Nexo Lyt 110 boots last season (which I love), and it seems that they were made to be matched with the V-Shape skis. Have you found that the V8's hold an edge well on hardpack? That's my main criticism of the Volkl Kanjos -- I have found them to be a little chattery in firm conditions.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thank you for the great suggestion - I hadn't actually thought much about Dynastar. I should mention that I found the Hero ST thoroughly unpleasant in the bumps -- not sure if that's mostly because I am just used to skiing softer-flexing skis. Do you think I would have the same experience with the Dynastars? I had intentionally left off the top "race-inspired" skis off my list because of this concern -- hence, the Redster S7 instead of S9, and Dobermann Ti instead of RB. Figured they would be just a bit softer and more suitable for my weight.

I also thought the Hero ST was not a great choice for bump skiing. Same issue with the stiffness and it is on the heavy side for, say, tucking up the tails on the back of the bump. The Dynastar and the iRally seemed similar in flex in the bumps and are both that bit lighter.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
5’10 and 150lbs here, 57 y.o.

Of the skis you mentioned, the Rally would be able to handle bumps nicely, and I’m thinking the V8 or V10 as well. The others are more carving-machine-oriented which is great, but not as versatile for bumps.

Consider a DPS Cassiar 79 (if you want to turn turn turn and keep turning), or Cassiar 82 (probably more versatile). I really like these for frontside groomer skis, very intuitive and easy-going but also responds to more input and great in bumps. Perfect for Deer Valley IMHO

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m 49yo, 5’6” and weigh 150lbs. This past season I skied the Liberty V76 (2019 version) 165cm as my daily driver (anything less that 6” new snow) and it has been a really fun ski. Carves really well, high speed limit, very good in bumps, pretty forgiving, can handle light Western crud, very versatile. The 2020 version has another layer of metal and is supposed to be a slightly better carver than the 2019 model. Highly recommend giving them a try.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Liberty also offers the V82 which is the same construction but wider than the V76. I haven’t skied it but there are plenty of very positive reviews on Pugski and other skiing websites. It’s supposed to handle mixed conditions better than the V76 but a little slower edge to edge. It’s also supposed to be very good in moguls. If Sierra Trading Post opens back up they have the 2019 V82 in 165cm for $149 but only have 2 left in stock. That’s a screaming deal for a very highly rated ski.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I really do like the Dynastar 8CA/9CA (same ski, but with different names over the past two years). The Nordica Spitfire TI that you mentioned is also great. These are just a bit more all-round than the SL, ST, and SC skis mentioned (all consumer slalom skis with an 11-12 m radius @ 155-160). By all-round I mean: able to do more than just those very short turns nod nice groomers. In bumps and some skied-out runs the Dynastar and Nordica are less tiring to ski.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
The V8 is definitely high on my list -- I actually bought the Nexo Lyt 110 boots last season (which I love), and it seems that they were made to be matched with the V-Shape skis. Have you found that the V8's hold an edge well on hardpack? That's my main criticism of the Volkl Kanjos -- I have found them to be a little chattery in firm conditions.
The V8s are great on the slick stuff. My home mountain is Killington, so lots of days with firm groomers. I think I put about 25 days on the V8s this season. I had demoed the V8 and the Head Rally back to back and was amazed how close they performed. The V8 is lighter, a bit less stiff, and works well in the bumps and even with a few inches of fresh snow. I have Fischer Motive 95s for when there is more snow.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
On paper (I haven't skied them), the Head V8 or V10 is exactly what you want. In general terms, it sounds like what you want is a ski that is two levels down from a top level FIS racing ski.

I too had my weight drop down to 120 lbs, from 165 lbs, and am doing my best to rebuild (holding at 123 lbs), but it's not easy on a diabetic diet. I still enjoyed my one-level down race skis (and once in a great while my old SGs), but I always want to make clean carves and thus end up skiing very fast. At 120 lbs, I would have to go to the shortest length in a one level down ski, and I'm not sure I would like that. A two level down ski won't have the same ultimate grip as higher level skis, but that's only a problem when skiing above 8 tenths.

What makes a ski a good carver and what makes it a good bump ski are two different things. For a carver the tips need to hook into the turn, and the ski needs to be stiff to spread force out to the tips and tails; I want the ski to grip instantly and hard, pull me into the turn, not loose grip, and then shoot me out. For a bump ski I don't want the tips and tails hooking up too hard, I want to easily be able to slide the ski in traditional short radius turns. A lot of the difference can be made with tune: carver-razor sharp tip to tail at 0.5 degree base bevel, three (or more) degree side bevel; bump ski - 1 degree base bevel and 2 degree side bevel, sharp enough tip to tail, but not razor sharp. But some of the difference depends on the ski: carver - radius depends on speed, stiff ski; bump ski - longer radius, softer ski.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Have you considered a Fischer RC One GT? A frontside carver with off-piste aspirations. At your size, the lower widths might make the most sense. But you ski SLC, so there's that to consider.

A Hero Elite Plus or MT might be more your ticket in the Rossi tent. I ski a Hero Elite LT on firm days and usually am cooked by noon unless I force myself to alternate the intensity of my runs. Like @PinnacleJim, I ski at Killington where the conditions tend to the firmer side.

I recommend you start by reading the excellent Reviews By Brand in that forum. You can post questions to site experts that have demoed the exact model you are interested in.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you considered a Fischer RC One GT? A frontside carver with off-piste aspirations. At your size, the lower widths might make the most sense. But you ski SLC, so there's that to consider.

PSA:
Since you mentioned the RC One GT in skinnier lengths, SideLineSwap have new RC One 82 GT in 166 and 173 for $297 with factory RSW 11 binding ( full demo-binding functionality ). I bought a set of 173 from this seller 6 weeks ago ( and paid $30 more at that time ) , and had them shipped to my pal in Connecticut, who will eventually get them to me. My additional costs at checkout were $35.55 shipping and $21.24 tax. I've never skied any of the RC One GT's, but bought the 82 based on the great reviews of the 86. I'm assuming the 82 will be a slightly "smaller / narrower / softer" version of the 86's goodness. And I like the colour green :thumb:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You have a great list started. Paging @Tony S to the Pugski Courtesy Phone.
Guess I'm late to the party!

I'm 52 yo, 5'6", 120 lb., consider myself an expert
Do people who ARE experts agree? Not at all meaning to be snarky; just trying to get accurate info about the "customer" for the purposes of gear thoughts. (You probably won't be surprised to learn that there are precious few males, at least, on this forum who do NOT consider themselves experts, so I'm just probing a little.) Do you ever race, or do you have a racing background of any kind?

I swapped the K2's for a pair of Bent Chetler 100 in 164cm -- shortest skis I've owned since junior high school, but what a blast to get on some playful skis that I could toss around in powder and take into the bumps.
This is a great data point. You clearly have a smile on your face when thinking about how these work for you. There's pretty good consensus here and elsewhere that a narrow ski for use primarily on packed snow will end up being considerably shorter than a well-sized 100mm+ ski used by the same skier for deeper off-piste conditions. Do the Bent Chetler's ever feel significantly too short for you? E.g., perhaps in crud?

Earlier this year, I demo'd the Rossi Hero Elite ST Ti in 157 cm -- I thought the Rossi rep was crazy when he suggested this length, but they were incredibly fun. Couldn't believe the combination of quickness and stability on such a short ski. However, I did realize that they might be fun for a couple of runs, but I probably wouldn't want to ski a whole day on them.
Why would you not want to ski a whole day on them? Are you sure? Or are you just saying it because none of your 6' 200lb buddies at Deer Valley are on a ski like that?

I owned that exact model for a season a few years ago. It was the 162. That year I was in the low 130lb range, 5' 7". Very fun. My only real complaint was it that it didn't have quite the teeth I wanted on bullet-proof east-coast ice, but that's not an issue where you are. (Yes, I've skied in Utah quite a bit.) I agree with you and others here that it's not a great bump ski in terms of flex pattern. However, having a ski that short buys you a whole lot in terms of ease and quickness in bumps, even if the tips are a little grabby and stiff. I've had a couple pairs of SLs @ 155cm, including my current ones, and they are definitely fun in moguls - especially, as King Grump points out, in slush bumps. Don't write these off, is my point, if you really loved them. When you get to my list of suggestions below, and see that they are all 160cm+, remember that it's about you, while I'm just some guy spouting off on the internet.

I'm assuming that I should be focused on something in the 160-165cm range
Maybe. It depends. :P See my note about your Bent Chetlers above. I think if you end up on a easy-flexing more "blended" model, 160-165 probably is a good length. If you end up on a more serious SL-like ski, not so much.

but would be interested in hearing any other thoughts on ski length. I'd like to throw out a few skis that I have been considering, but would welcome any other suggestions: Head iRally (163cm), Atomic Redster S7 (160cm), Head V8 or V10, Salomon S/Max 12 (165cm), and Nordica Dobermann Spitfire Ti (162cm), Kastle MX67 (162cm). As a wild card, there is someone selling a used pair of Kastle RX12 SL in 155cm -- I imagine those might be similar to the Hero Elite ST - super turny and fast, but maybe just too much for a whole day.

I confess I have not been on most of these exact skis. I have been on the Rally, and I've owned several pair of Kastles, including the MX 84, and demoed yet more. I've demoed the Spitfire Ti in the next size up (170?), but it may not have been the exact version you are mentioning here. It was quite a lot of ski. Personally I wouldn't buy it with any mogul skiing in mind. All of the MXs are also a lot of ski, in a slightly different way. They are not particularly forgiving in bumps, no matter what anyone says. (The previous FX line, by contrast, are fabulous bump skis. Like Francois said above, designing for carving and for bumps is a challenge at best.)

Okay, bottom line, if I were looking for a Utah ski for groomers and the occasional bump run, I would go wider than most of the skis you listed. I would be looking in the 80mm range, even with the Bent Chetlers in my back pocket for fresh snow days. It's pretty easy to auger-in a pair of narrow, short, stiff SL ski on fresh DV corduroy where you're leaving track an inch deep or more. And later in the day when it's skied-off, today's technology under a 120lb skier still gives you plenty of torsional stiffness to hold an edge if your tune is fresh and your technique is clean. Some suggestions:

• Keep the V8/V10 in the list. I haven't been on them, but the people here who like them are worth listening to.
  • Head Titan @163. This is on the stiffer, racier side at your weight, and a handful in moguls, but a rewarding classic ski that everyone should really try once.
  • Liberty V82 @165, as @Prosper says. The Liberty construction has really nice snow feel and not too stiff.
  • Since you liked the Rossi, try the "Plus" version @160cm, with the idea that it might have a similar feel with a little more all-day play.
  • Stockli Laser AX @161, if you can afford it. Kind of the "it" ski around here at the moment. Someone was going to suggest it sooner or later, so I just saved them the trouble.
  • Kastle MX 84 @160cm. This has a more bump-friendly tip than the Titan. (Still the stiff tail, though.) Feels less like an SL - more cruise-y with slower hookup, but insane stability at speed. With next year's revamp of the MX looming, these are starting to appear at reasonable prices.
  • Elan Wingman 82 CTi @166cm. This is really the one. I just listed the others to make it look like I was broad-minded. See my long-term review, albeit truncated by the virus.
Good luck!

TS
T

Tedin415

Booting up
Skier
Thanks to all for your thoughtful and analytical comments -- this is really a great online community, and I hope to be able to contribute in the future. Based on the feedback, I'm thinking that the Head V8 or iRally might be the best choice. There's a local shop that has the 2020 iRally in 163cm, and they are closing them out at $425 - that seems like a pretty great deal, but I may check in with them to see if they also have the V8 at a similar price. Thank you everyone for taking the time to provide feedback!