• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Sugarloaf - tips & tricks ?

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
After debating finally decided where to go skiing this year with my crew. It's gonna be Sugarloaf. Decision was made based on everything posted on my previous thread about ski resorts on East.
This time if you can spare some time to give me some tips and tricks about this mountain would be great since it's our first time going there. We are coming from NYC with cars and want to find some nice AirBnb near base lodge or Ski Village. Also still debating when to go? End of February or middle of March. When snow conditions are better?

Since we gonna be there 5 or 6 days i would appreciate what you can tell me about après ski? Where is good to eat, where to go out , are there any bars with live music or at least bars that works late night? Can we find some other activities like SPA center (pools and hot tubs), bowling alleys? Any cool breweries around etc...
So far we want to visit Stephen King's house on our way there or way back whatever...

Thank You !

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
@Tony S would be the Loaf expert, but I'll chime in with a few thoughts.

I'd think the later you go, the better you'll enjoy it, but there's never a guarantee of "good" snow conditions in New England. Giving the sun a chance to rise though can't hurt.

Sugarloaf is in the middle of nowhere; the only town anywhere near it is Kingfield, which is about 10 miles away. There isn't much there though. The only other town in the vicinity is Rangeley, which is about 30 miles away.

après ski... There are a few spots at the base of Sugarloaf -- Widowmaker, The Rack, Bag and Kettle all come to mind.

There is the Sugarloaf hotel at the base as well which has hot tubs, exercise rooms, etc.; I'm sure that for some fee that they'll let non guests in as well. There are lots of condos at the base; I'm sure a good number of them are listed as AirBnb properties, but again -- there is N-O-T-H-I-N-G outside of the Sugarloaf base area.

Re: Stephen King's house. Have you Google Map'ed it? The Loaf and Bangor are two hours apart, and most of that is on roads where the potholes are probably named (i.e., I'd say the "two hour" estimate is a "best case scenario").

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We stayed in Eustis and relaxed so didn't get out much. You could break up the drive and stay a night in Portland which might provide more of a nightlife experience.

Skiing-wise, if the snowfields are open you must seize the moment because they could be closed for the rest of your stay due to wind holds.

If possible, spend lots of time at Bracket Basin. You can traverse a ways to skier's right to find some fresh lines.

If you poke around the edges of the King Pine trails you'll find some glades in between the trails.

The cat skiing is fun and cheap but a little disappointing on the challenge side. We had our kids so maybe the operators were reluctant to give us the good info. From Burnt Mt you can keep on skiing downhill from the log yard. The trails eventually level out land you have to go left to get back to the access road and might need to flag down a bus.

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
Thank you guys!

When i say après ski and lurking around i don't really mean to go far away from LOAF anyway. That Stephen King's house came up to our mind since we a re going to Maine like why not? but when i'm seeking for fun besides skiing i mean somewhere at the base lodge , near, around, walking distance or 5-10-15 min drive. We are not looking for "allnighters" anyway since tomorrow is another long day of skiing but sometimes to go out and relax with beer and music is never bad idea.

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
Now Ski/Snow conditions bothers me, if i'm going to be 5-6 days over there and spend most of my time on few trails and lifts because of strong wind or lack of snow... hmmm

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Now Ski/Snow conditions bothers me, if i'm going to be 5-6 days over there and spend most of my time on few trails and lifts because of strong wind or lack of snow... hmmm

This is a risk that you're going to have to take if you want to book a 5-6 day trip in advance in New England. Middle of March is probably close to the best time to ski Sugarloaf and minimize your risk of having limited terrain available. Sugarloaf doesn't get a lot of snow, but the mountain is tall and mostly north facing, so it preserves snow quite well.

I agree with @Wilhelmson about the cat skiing. I did it last season. It was a lot of fun, but the Burnt Mountain glades weren't any more challenging than the glades in Bracket Basin. If there has been recent snow, I would recommend doing the cat skiing, as the low skier density (only cat skiers and uphill skiers can access the terrain) will ensure good snow conditions. It could still be fun to do even if there hasn't been recent snow, but there is lots of other really fun glades at Sugarloaf that you could spend days exploring.

I cannot really help with après-ski, my sense is that Sugarloaf's après scene is weak relative to many other resorts in New England.

Have fun! I love Sugarloaf.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Don't sweat this too much. The snowfields are only about 500 vertical out of 2000 total. The lower parts of the upper trails are accessed by different lifts that are usually operational. Plenty of black and 2x black to go around; it's a pretty big mountain.

Most of the big mountains are now around 90% open, excluding some woods, so even with an average February conditions should improve over the next 6 weeks, but anything is possible.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I stayed overnight at Judy Blumes former house in Montpelier VT. She did't live there; some friends of friends' parents had bought it. Pretty sure it was Blume.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
There are enough restaurants on mountain to keep you entertained for 6 days. Widowmaker, Shipyard, and the Rack often have music of some sort too. March is probably the best bet for having the snowfields be open. Stephen Kings house is way out of your way unless you want to burn a day driving ...

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
I've done air bnb in Kingfield, White Wolf Inn (couple nights) in Eustis but prefer on Mt. Price is pretty reasonable imo for the 5 day package (check in Sun, out Fri) and saves you the drive, just boot up and ski. I've done both Feb and March and prefer March likely because I've hit some big snow events in that month over the last few years. Feb can be cold but I found the trails were full coverage and skied well. But you never know what you'll get until you're there. Even without fresh snow there should be lots of terrain to keep you busy. Can't really speak to glades as I am a very amateur tree skier so have only muddled my way through things like broccoli garden. If you are in a group you'll have no prob keeping entertained après or in the evening. I don't have any problem even when solo, I find the local folk pretty easy going and friendly. There is a shuttle service at night around the mountain to get around.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I'm sure things have changed in 10 years since I was there. The White Wolf is good for a night coming or going, but the inns at the base are much nicer. Food was good though. DH and I stayed at the older inn. No elevator, but walk out to the lift that was right there was great. Some of the Ski Diva group stayed at the upper inn which at that time was new.

There was a fitness centre of some sort too. Didn't use it, so not sure what was there.

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
There are enough restaurants on mountain to keep you entertained for 6 days. Widowmaker, Shipyard, and the Rack often have music of some sort too. March is probably the best bet for having the snowfields be open. Stephen Kings house is way out of your way unless you want to burn a day driving ...

Yeah, some of the friends would want to see it so will make a trip probably. Might be fun. Thank you !!

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
I've done air bnb in Kingfield, White Wolf Inn (couple nights) in Eustis but prefer on Mt. Price is pretty reasonable imo for the 5 day package (check in Sun, out Fri) and saves you the drive, just boot up and ski. I've done both Feb and March and prefer March likely because I've hit some big snow events in that month over the last few years. Feb can be cold but I found the trails were full coverage and skied well. But you never know what you'll get until you're there. Even without fresh snow there should be lots of terrain to keep you busy. Can't really speak to glades as I am a very amateur tree skier so have only muddled my way through things like broccoli garden. If you are in a group you'll have no prob keeping entertained après or in the evening. I don't have any problem even when solo, I find the local folk pretty easy going and friendly. There is a shuttle service at night around the mountain to get around.

When you say shuttle service around you mean everything of "content" is spreaded around mountains and roads or everything is in that Ski resort village, base or how you want to call it. Something what Stowe has? Don't really mind to explore around just wanna have some idea let's say if we want to switch bars in the middle of evening or whatever...

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
Are there any bowling alleys around or spa with pool or even maybe outdoor hot tubs? I think i saw it in that big hotel in base village/lodge but not sure if they let non-guests visits...

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Only Friday that I ever spent at Sugarloaf we attended a strip show in Carrabassett. We were told the fish fry at some local joint was not to be missed so we hung out at our motel room for some beers then headed out to eat. We walked into the place at 6:20 only to be verbally attacked by the waitress that they closed at 6:30 and we were way too late. Backed out the door then looked around at our choices. Dive pizza joint or the big hulking white hotel looking building. We found a bar in a back room of the hotel and ordered some food. Guy walked up to us and asked for a cover charge. Glanced around the empty room and asked him for what? He said for the entertainment. Sure enough the place filled up with snowmobilers and woodchucks out for wild Friday Night. Quiver of ladies that could keep a Maine lumberjack warm on a winter's night drove the crowd wild. Did not see a bowling alley or spa.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Only Friday that I ever spent at Sugarloaf we attended a strip show in Carrabassett. We were told the fish fry at some local joint was not to be missed so we hung out at our motel room for some beers then headed out to eat. We walked into the place at 6:20 only to be verbally attacked by the waitress that they closed at 6:30 and we were way too late. Backed out the door then looked around at our choices. Dive pizza joint or the big hulking white hotel looking building. We found a bar in a back room of the hotel and ordered some food. Guy walked up to us and asked for a cover charge. Glanced around the empty room and asked him for what? He said for the entertainment. Sure enough the place filled up with snowmobilers and woodchucks out for wild Friday Night. Quiver of ladies that could keep a Maine lumberjack warm on a winter's night drove the crowd wild. Did not see a bowling alley or spa.

That's amusing as local color, but that particular color has faded in the - I would guess - 30 or 40 years since your experience.

There is a bowing alley a few miles south of the access road entrance.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
That's amusing as local color, but that particular color has faded in the - I would guess - 30 or 40 years since your experience.

There is a bowing alley a few miles south of the access road entrance.
Last year of ASC maybe 2005? Had to visit The Loaf while I had a free pass. Will be my home mountain if we ever move to Maine.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Are there any bowling alleys around or spa with pool or even maybe outdoor hot tubs? I think i saw it in that big hotel in base village/lodge but not sure if they let non-guests visits...
The Grand Hotel has a big outdoor hottub. Pretty sure you can pay to use it. I think they have a Spa too.

There is a Spa and pool at the SugarTree condos with some tiny outdoor hot tubs. This if free through some of the condos. They'll also let you in for a fee. Bowling you have to drive off mountain.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
When you say shuttle service around you mean everything of "content" is spreaded around mountains and roads or everything is in that Ski resort village, base or how you want to call it. Something what Stowe has? Don't really mind to explore around just wanna have some idea let's say if we want to switch bars in the middle of evening or whatever...
Sorry for late reply. My experience in March is that I can call a shuttle to go from a condo down to the Rack or up to the village or over to the Shipyard. Not a great range but within range of anything at Sugarloaf.