• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Sugarbush is being sold to Alterra

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm not surprised to hear this. Win Smith and his team appear to have done a tremendous job at building value at Sugarbush since 2001. Like @SKI-3PO said, with the competition between Vail and Alterra and a generally booming economy, now is the time to sell. Who knows when another window of opportunity like this one will come up.

Alterra is smart to partner with resorts that it is interested in acquiring in the future so that Alterra can start building relationships with the owners and operators of those resorts. They also probably get useful data from the resorts that can help inform investment decisions. I wouldn't be surprised to see Alterra purchase other resorts that it is currently partnered with if/when those resorts decide to sell.

Sugarbush feels natural within the Alterra umbrella. Fingers crossed for Jay Peak.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Wow, I didn't think SB would sell so quickly, i expected at least a few years to feel out the new epic/iKON alignments.

So that leaves Bromley and Magic alone in So. VT. Hopefully, they can partner somehow to compete with the conglomerates. I think they were partners a ways back before magic went down, and then resurrected.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So that leaves Bromley and Magic alone in So. VT. Hopefully, they can partner somehow to compete with the conglomerates. I think they were partners a ways back before magic went down, and then resurrected.

I don't ever remember Magic & Bromley ever partnered up for much of anything. I do remember Stratton owned Bromley long time back - '80s. Our Stratton season passes were good at both places.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd rather see Ikon partner or buy Bromley, TBH. I really like Bromley but I try to stay with mountains on my Ikon pass. Alterra could use a so. VT or NH resort, IMO.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I don't ever remember Magic & Bromley ever partnered up for much of anything. I do remember Stratton owned Bromley long time back - '80s. Our Stratton season passes were good at both places.
Everybody is correct. Stratton took over Bromley in 1979. Magic took over ownership of Bromley for a few years in the later 80's. Partnerships went both ways. Last of the glory years for Magic. Loved that mountain back in the day.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now that Alterra has SB, if they get Jay Peak as well how does Vail respond? Do they throw obscene amounts of money at Smuggs to create the largest resort in the east? I think I read somewhere that a combined Stowe and Smuggs would be that big.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The press release came while I was skiing. Edited the OP of this thread to include the official press release.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'd rather see Ikon partner or buy Bromley, TBH. I really like Bromley but I try to stay with mountains on my Ikon pass. Alterra could use a so. VT or NH resort, IMO.

Stratton is Southern Vermont, no?. Bromley is hooked in with Jiminy Peak anyways isn't it? Can't see anything in Southern New Hampshire that would fit the bill. Ragged?, Gunstock? Waterville or Bretton may be targets though. While I like Sunapee I don't think it would be Epic if it weren't for it's connection to Okemo and Crested Butte but maybe I'm wrong. Windham in New York I could see as a possible target going head to head with Hunter and it will be interesting to see if Camelback Pa gets on Ikon next season as they are now owned by one of the KSL companies (not going on Ikon this season - costing me $).

Sugarbush to Alterra is a good move, but I don't think it will change that much as it was a partner last season. I'm a big fan of the multi-area passes. Variety is the spice of life. On Ikon now but could see doing Epic in the Future plus I'm also rooting on the Indy Pass/Freedom Pass guys, hope more mountains join them and would be open to doing those in the future as well. Put another way if you have a good menu I going to sit down and eat.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Bromley, Jiminy Peak and Cranmore are under the same ownership. Alterra has Stratton so southern Vermont is covered. Killington is also an IKON partner resort which is nice. Bromley has discount days throughout the season and also has CT ski council days as well. I have a limited number of passes for the season but can usually wrangle a day pass if needed. You can also get deals on liftopia. I don't think much will change with sugarbush, especially since they were already an IKON partner resort.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bromley, Jiminy Peak and Cranmore are under the same ownership. Alterra has Stratton so southern Vermont is covered. Killington is also an IKON partner resort which is nice..

Kind of to my point, those are a nice trio of areas,and a selling point to someone like me over the old style 1 mountain pass. Berkshire East and Catamount likewise. If I lived in Pittsfield or that general area I'd be interested especially if I had young family. We raised our young family in the Pocono's, (had a family house up there at the time) it was a 1 mountain pass but man if Camelback and say Elk or Blue had joined forces it would have been great.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I keep forgetting Stratton, mostly because I don’t like skiing there. You guys are right that so. VT is covered for Ikon; just not for me ogsmile

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I keep forgetting Stratton, mostly because I don’t like skiing there. You guys are right that so. VT is covered for Ikon; just not for me ogsmile

Stratton isn't my scene either. I count Killington because I frequent there early and late season.

Ok while I understand the feelings I'm gonna defend Stratton a little. With Ikon (and its predessor Maxx) my wife and I spend at least 1 weekend a season at Stratton. Big mountain, good lifts, nice Lodging, best slope side walking village in New England (Note: I did not say town but slope side village) with decent food. Not the most challenging mountain but when the snow is right Stratton has some really fun trees. If you have not been there since they replaced Snow Bowl it is quite an improvement. We have stayed a couple of times at the Black Bear Inn and really enjoyed it. Will do it again this year and look forward to it. Its a nice weekend.

IMG_0037.JPG
Stratton's Slope Side Walking Village reminds me somewhat of Copper Colorado
IMG_0043.JPG

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stratton rubs me the wrong way for a number of reasons. To each his own, I guess. I mean, I like Okemo a lot and many don't.