• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi James--Glad to hear that your back is (hopefully) getting a bit better. As an MD and someone with a history of low back issues myself, I can empathize. Several years ago, I had sciatica so bad that I abandoned the usual MD denial defense mechanism and went to see a spine surgeon. Long story short, some lumbar stenosis and pinched nerve root. I was lucky, and a selective steroid nerve root block knocked the pain down and facilitated recovery and rehab. It also woke me up to the need for keeping my back and core conditioned, which I've been religious about since, and IMO has helped me avoid a lot of the low back strains that I used to get.

I don't generally try to engage in curbside consults, since one rarely has enough info to make more than some educated guesses. On the plus side, if you haven't noticed signs and symptoms of nerve root compression (pain running down into a leg, numbness in the area supplied by that nerve root, foot drop or other focal weakness), then it's likely (but not guaranteed) a nonsurgical problem, as opposed to something like a ruptured/"slipped" disc compressing spinal nerve roots, or something more insidious (like an abscess or bleed or tumor). That said, and as others have noted, the causes of back pain are many. And in my personal as well as professional experience, stuff like SI joint pain, IT band issues, and leg or hip issues can be causes of back pain. Remember, the legs and pelvic girdle are attached to our back.

The natural history of acute low back pain is that most cases get better with what you're doing + gentle, progressive PT in six weeks or so. That sucks for your plans for A-Basin, but at least most folks don't need surgery. However, I'd encourage you to talk with a doc about possible underlying causes that could re-trigger it, and absolutely get thee to an ER at once if you note any focal weakness or numbness in one or both legs, or problems with your bladder or bowels!!

Agree 100% with the advice you got for core strengthening and PT. Even though one may argue that stuff like spinal stenosis is an anatomical problem that only surgery will correct, I've seen way too many folks pull the surgery trigger before giving conservative treatment an honest go, and live to regret it. It's just my opinion, but a lot of people walk around with varying degrees of back/core deconditioning, and that just sets us up for more problems down the road.

Knowing what I know about back surgery, I'm doing everything to stave it off for as long as possible. But then, a lot of MDs tend to look at stuff from a glass-half-empty point of view! ;^)

This is good, sound info. As a family doc who sees a lot of low back pain in an outpatient setting I completely agree with @Tahoma. Sounds like there are no red flag symptoms (loss of bowel or bladder control, numbness in the saddle region) or any signs/symptoms of spinal nerve root impingement (shooting pain typically down one leg especially with a straight let raise, weakness or numbness in specific nerve root distributions, loss of deep tendon knee and ankle reflexes). Without the benefit of taking a thorough history or doing the appropriate examination, based solely on your description of what happened and your symptoms it sounds most like back muscle spasms. In this type of situation the recommendation is typically to give it some time and conservative treatment like the over the counter meds others have recommended and/or prescription muscle relaxants with back resting positions and low back physical therapy. Start with some gentle back stretching exercises. As the back starts to feel better incorporate core strengthening which is the mainstay of maintaining a healthy back. Long term, weight loss especially if there’s a beer belly, can be really helpful. Of course, like many others have said, an evaluation with a primary care doctor is a good idea.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@James Lots of information you are getting. Personally I would visit a good Chiropractor.

As has been suggested, it could all be muscle related. Tight hammys, etc. Amazing how the lower back muscles are all tied together with muscles that mostly go to below your knees. :)

Heal up. Back issues suck.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Missed this whole thing. Take care of yourself, James.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been doing a 6-week stretch/exercise routine from SpineZone, which is available to me through my medical insurance.
I've also seen a Physical Therapist who has a CFMT certification, Functional Manual Therapy (CFMT).

While the SpineZone routine is beneficial, it is AMAZING how one session helps. I actually walk away feeling better, and usually feel even better the next day. It involves the therapist pushing and manipulating the trouble spots. It can uncomfortable but is never truly painful. Massage or rolling (foam, lacrosse ball, etc) are similar, but having someone who is good at it is really beneficial.

Long Hair Hippy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Monday I hit some hidden ice mogul. Hurt then. But got better till today.

Damn, that sucks! I think the same ice bump that got you gave me a hernia, I’m still feeling it.
Seriously, definitely go get checked out if it continues to bother you. I ignored neck and nerve pain for a long time after a rather intimate encounter with a tree I had . Fortunately it was small and supple! No pain until several weeks later. Turns out I ruptured 2 discs in my neck. Must have given myself whiplash in the process.
A couple of artificial discs and a few metal plates, I’m almost as good as new.

Good Luck!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
been there.

I knew it! It looked like your parking job, too. ogwink

12246667_10206975380920420_6988237259081285665_n.jpg

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
If the back problem happened to me, I'd try acupuncture.

Picked up my senior (14-15 y/o) dog from day care one day. They reported he had been sleeping in the nap room and when he got up, he was barely able to move. (I was never sold on this story, but that's not the point.) When I saw him, he was up on his feet and able to creep along. Vet did not do any x-rays, but put him on pain relievers. He got somewhat better, but limped ... every day, every walk.

After a week or so, I took him to a veterinary acupuncturist -- happened to be at the same clinic as his vet. One treatment, about $300. No walk for him that evening. During the next week, I counted 2 times he limped. But I was wrong. 1 was a limp. The other was that little pre-run movement. Yes, he was back to running within 7 days. I never detected a limp again.

Even the acupuncturist was surprised. She said it usually took more than one treatment to see improvements in animals' conditions. Good thing no one told him that, huh?

I can't say acupuncture resolved the problem. But nothing she did caused him any discomfort or threatened to make his situation worse. And 24 hours later, he was well on his way to Normal.

So I'd recommend an acupuncturist and/or a vet.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Any one try Acupuncture on achey knees ?? no swelling

Yes. 3 sessions a week for ~ 3 months & no noticeable improvement from the treatment. But everyone responds differently.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
You could try bee sting therapy for knees.The person I knew who did that was in her 90's.

Last time I got accupuncture it was in Chinatown with a friend. Not much English spoken. Went through the hand on the wrist whatever that is, not pulse. There was cupping and massage involved. Of the elbow. I could call it torture. Accupuncture was the easy part. There was a lot done in an hour and a half. Cost $50. Maybe 10yrs ago.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
On vacation years ago in either Reno or Vegas IIRC, I did one of those lower back things -- the kind that produces gripping pain whether you're trying to bend or to straighten out ... like it just wants to be put in one position and left there forever.

Went to a massage therapist. I don't know what technique he used, but he started at the spine and pushed out to the side. It felt like he was using his thumb to drain stuff out of lines that ran horizontally. As he pressed, I imagined myself sinking deeper into the table. I wanted to imagine myself running out the door because this was downright painful.

Afterwards, I learned that he knew what he was doing was going to be painful. His training included some amount of medical stuff; his certification/license allowed him to get prescriptions from physicians for treating patients. I left there pain-free and went on about my vacation as if that back problem had never occurred.

I wish I knew the terms for his certification/license as well as for the technique he used. Maybe someone here who is well-versed in massage can fill in the blanks. I'd love to find a similar practitioner just for routine work.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
You could try bee sting therapy for knees.The person I knew who did that was in her 90's.

It’s funny you should mention Bee Sting Therapy, I had never heard of it before, but just looked it up, fascinating.

My knees are in constant pain from old injuries and surgeries, now turned arthritic. One night I was stung on my knee by a scorpion in Arizona. I was lucky, I felt a tickle on my face and ended up flicking the scorpion off my check and onto my knee, where it took revenge. Anyway, after the pain of the sting subsided twenty four hours later, my knee felt great. In fact my knee was pain free for several months. I asked my Dr about it, but he just shrugged his shoulders. Well, maybe there are some healing properties in venom?

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
It’s funny you should mention Bee Sting Therapy, I had never heard of it before, but just looked it up, fascinating.

My knees are in constant pain from old injuries and surgeries, now turned arthritic. One night I was stung on my knee by a scorpion in Arizona. I was lucky, I felt a tickle on my face and ended up flicking the scorpion off my check and onto my knee, where it took revenge. Anyway, after the pain of the sting subsided twenty four hours later, my knee felt great. In fact my knee was pain free for several months. I asked my Dr about it, but he just shrugged his shoulders. Well, maybe there are some healing properties in venom?
Maybe give it a go.
You take fish oil?

My back is getting better. I can lift both legs at once lying on the floor. Odd how that was impossible a few days ago.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Well, maybe there are some healing properties in venom?

Probably some similarities to how blood platelet injections work. My understanding is that the injection formulation is designed to actually promote inflammation - which revs up the body's healing response in the area and amplifies the uptake of the platelets. Bee - or in your case, scorpion - venom surely promoted inflammation and perhaps a strong healing response. Makes sense.

Bee sting therapy has been used for treating MS symptoms and to enhance healing of injuries for years... with mixed results. Some people have had promising results and others not so much.

Sponsor

Staff online