• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Suby head gasket woes

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My 2000 Outback finally developed the head gasket leak at 140k. It is a slight leak, not even making it to the driveway. Question to you guys is can I live with the leak for a while and keep on top of the fluid loss or will it get progressively worse? I've heard some people say you can live with the leak for a while.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I had a little oil in the water, not water in the oil and lived with it for a long while. If you get water in your oil it can cause serious problems.

I'm on my 3rd Outback, '97, '04 and currently an '11 with 180K miles on it. I forget which one had the head gasket problem. Not the current one.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
You may be able to seal it with some leak stop.
Subaru puts a leak stop additive in the pre 2006 cars when they change antifreeze as a factory fix.
I use the Bars Leaks 2 part variety when needed.
It won't hurt to try as long as you monitor AF level and temperature.
If there is any evidence of AF in your motor oil get professional help.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
If it were mine I’d just do it. The longer answer is if you are just losing coolant, you are probably fine to wait. If you are mixing fluids fix it. The way it was explained to me is on that engine a head gasket usually means that coolant leaks out of the engine, which is mostly harmless. Still, I’d fix it.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for the replies guys. It is hard to sink any cash into this car at this point but my buddy who is a Subaru tech said he can knock out the gasket change for $500. I'm seriously tempted to do the new car fix, I need to be able to rely on this thing to do 1000 mile trips through blizzards this winter. It has given me a faithful 100,000 miles of service so far so we have a bond that makes this tough.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for the replies guys. It is hard to sink any cash into this car at this point but my buddy who is a Subaru tech said he can knock out the gasket change for $500. I'm seriously tempted to do the new car fix, I need to be able to rely on this thing to do 1000 mile trips through blizzards this winter. It has given me a faithful 100,000 miles of service so far so we have a bond that makes this tough.
At $500 it’s a steal, YouTube this work and you’ll understand why, when he’s in, change a couple of other wear points and you should be good.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
Yeah for $500 it's a no brainer, even if you sell it after you'll get it back vs what you'd get with a leaking HG.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
$500 is incredibly reasonable. Cheap. I'd jump at your buddy's offer!

It will be good to go for a LONG time. That generation of Outback has a long life, if you're not in a rust belt area.

The flip side is that the car with the blown HG is worth very little.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I need to be able to rely on this thing to do 1000 mile trips through blizzards this winter.
With the leak, your car does not pass ^^^ test.

Here, today, you can get it fixed for $500, at a time that's convenient for you, and by someone you trust. 500 miles away from home this winter, you have none of those.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I agree for that price. I didn’t do it because it was about three times as much is that

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
There are a few subbys for sale next to me that need head gasket repairs. Watched youtube for the repair and said, Nope don't want to tackle that. $500 for someone to do it is an awesome deal.

I don't mind "mechanics specials", but this is one I would run away from. :)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Have your buddy assess the other big ticket items like clutch and exhaust before you put money into it. Otherwise $500 is a great price.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
If the timing chain hasn't been done yet, you could combine this into that service, I think (not sure) that it would save you money that way. (Although at 140K it should have been done a while ago.)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid