• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Subaru Outback or Forester?

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
How "used" are you looking? The 2014+ Forester 2.0XT with the 2.0 turbo is very nice, plus shorter than an Outback if size is a concern.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you do decide on the Outback, make sure that you test drive both the 4 and 6 cylinder versions. I drove the 4 cylinder and hated it. I drove the 6 cylinder and bought it. (Note: this is the 5th Generation Outback that I'm talking about.) There is only a 1 or 2 mpg penalty for choosing the 6 over the 4, so it was a no brainer for me.
2019 6cyl 20city/27hwy vs 4cyl 25city/32hwy = 5 mpg difference.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled

I consistently get just under 30mpg on my 4 cylinder Outbacks, mixed rural, highway, city. I drive about 7 over the speed limit.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I consistently get just under 30mpg on my 4 cylinder Outbacks, mixed rural, highway, city. I drive about 7 over the speed limit.
A friend purchased a 2012 4cyl Outback/~ 80K miles from a local Toyota dealer and took advantage of their warranty to have the cylinder head gasket replaced, coolant thing worked on and has since been complaining that the darned thing only gets ~ 15mpg!
A neighbour was getting the kind of mpg as you with his bought new 2008 4cyl Outback which he recently replaced with a new 2018 4cyl Forrester. When asked why he didn't get the Turbo version Forrester he said they have their problems and that he was always ok with the 4cyl Outback's pick-up. IDK, I didn't care from how high revving the 4cyl Impressa's sluggish pick-up was when I took it for a teat drive, preferred the Turbo Forester there and not by much compared to the Toyota RAV 4 Hybrid. Anyway, these days it seems Subaru's are as common in my neighbourhood as yellow recyclables trash cans!

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I'm not talking baloney EPA mpg listings, which are really just reported by the manufacturer to the government. I'm talking real world mileage. There's a fairly long thread on subaruoutback.org that details the disappointment of owners when they found out that there wasn't the 5 mpg difference between the 2 models. Irate owners were bandying about the CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT threat because Subaru had so obviously misreported what actual mileage was.

I don't know. I get about 25 mpg on the highway with the 6 cylinder. That works for me. Now if they could just do something about the wind noise...

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
If you do decide on the Outback, make sure that you test drive both the 4 and 6 cylinder versions. I drove the 4 cylinder and hated it. I drove the 6 cylinder and bought it. (Note: this is the 5th Generation Outback that I'm talking about.) There is only a 1 or 2 mpg penalty for choosing the 6 over the 4, so it was a no brainer for me.
Thanks for the bit about the 4 vs 6 cyl. Besides the minor gas mileage difference, I believe the 4 cyl would be a better choice long term in terms of maintenance compared to a 6 cyl vehicle. Which are usually harder to work on in comparison.

Modern 4cyl engines have a fair amount of HP and Torque. I recall when Toyota offered the Sienna minivan with a 4 cyl in 2010 or so, their 4 cyl engine had more HP and Torque compared to a Dodge V6 from about 10 years prior.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Like a Mazda CX-5.
I had my eye on the CX-5 until I heard about the issue Mazda has been having on most models since 2010. The heater cores clog up from debris left behind from the machining and or casting process.

What happens is the heater core clogs which gives very poor heater performance but then there are two temp sensors that measure a large temperature differential which then throws a code.

Surprised its not a recall. Its about a $1500 job as the streering shaft needs to be dropped and the dash removed to get to the heater core..... poor quality control and they are not owning up to the issue...

It seems to show up after the car is 3-4 years old with around 40 k miles....

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
As for the difference in power between the different models and sub models, most Subaru owners care little about extra horsepower, else they would buy a different brand. Car reviewers and car enthusiasts usually make a big deal about modest Subaru power, but people that buy most of these vehicles are looking for utility, function, and safety in foul weather driving. I love the excellent window visibility in Foresters that may not be aesthetic but who cares when one is driving in a snow storm struggling to see. As not an impatient urban driving type, I rarely drive over 75 mph in my 2007 Forester.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

-
As not an impatient urban driving type, I rarely drive over 75 mph in my 2007 Forester.
I am and I do but not in a Forester, at least I wouldn't in the 2017 Forester Turbo I test drove. WRX did suit my driving habits, didn't particularly care for the lack of fuel economy or flashy "boy racer" effects and would want it as a hatchback/wagon.

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
All things being equal, I'd say the Outback will better suit your needs. Forget the raised-wagon concept of Outbacks past. Since 2010 the Outback really became more crossover than wagon and it hasn't looked back. You'll get a more comfortably highway ride, more passenger room and more useful cargo room (the Forester may be close in cargo volume but the floor area will be smaller). The Outback will also have a bigger gas tank/longer range. To me the biggest downside with the Outback is the engine...at least the 4 cylinder. It never feels like it has enough power...but lots of buyers don't seem to mind.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm not talking baloney EPA mpg listings, which are really just reported by the manufacturer to the government. I'm talking real world mileage. There's a fairly long thread on subaruoutback.org that details the disappointment of owners when they found out that there wasn't the 5 mpg difference between the 2 models. Irate owners were bandying about the CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT threat because Subaru had so obviously misreported what actual mileage was.

I don't know. I get about 25 mpg on the highway with the 6 cylinder. That works for me. Now if they could just do something about the wind noise...
Could that real world discrepancy perhaps be due to 4 cyl owners "who are drivers" needing to punch it all the time merging/passing vs., 6 cyl owners remaining well below redline?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I find that turbo engines do not loose much power if anything at altitude. Naturally aspirated engines on the other hand loose a lot. I mean, I do live in Colorado where you have the unique situation of having to drive at highway speeds (60-70mph) at above 9,000 feet (up to close to 11k). Both my Honda Pilot (v6)(sold recently) and the Forester (2017 2.5) just dont have enough power to pass confidently on i70 at higher altitudes at 65mph+.

Now I own the Ascent (2.4 turbo engine) and the power is there no matter the altitude. The difference is pretty dramatic compared to NA V6's.

GO turbo :D

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I find that turbo engines do not loose much power if anything at altitude. Naturally aspirated engines on the other hand loose a lot. I mean, I do live in Colorado where you have the unique situation of having to drive at highway speeds (60-70mph) at above 9,000 feet (up to close to 11k). Both my Honda Pilot (v6)(sold recently) and the Forester (2017 2.5) just dont have enough power to pass confidently on i70 at higher altitudes at 65mph+.

Now I own the Ascent (2.4 turbo engine) and the power is there no matter the altitude. The difference is pretty dramatic compared to NA V6's.

GO turbo :D

Good to hear, my wife’s Ascent should be arriving in the next few weeks

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
180 is about the longest skis you can fit comfortably in Forester, Outback should be able to handle 190+ easily.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We looked at both when we got the Alltrack. Having owned about 15 Subies over the years and sold them for about a decade, I still have a soft spot for them. Used ones hold their value very well, I would not dismiss a good deal on a brand new one.

Sponsor

Staff online