• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Subaru Outback or Forester?

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello

I understand that there are alot of similarities between the Outback and Forester, but wanted to ask peoples opinions as to which one might be a better choice for as a SF bay area / Tahoe Winter Weekend Warrior vehicle?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hello

I understand that there are alot of similarities between the Outback and Forester, but wanted to ask peoples opinions as to which one might be a better choice for as a SF bay area / Tahoe Winter Weekend Warrior vehicle?

The Ascent :micdrop: :D

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
AD89CF63-FAB2-4746-B966-DB96EBF0EB49.jpeg
What he said!!!
(8k miles on mine since October)

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
The big question is new, or used. If used, have a budget number in mind?
Yes, I forgot to mention, I would want to purchase a used one so the Ascent wouldn't be considered as its too new.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Your question with used vehicles ought not be simply Outback or Forester. If money didn't matter you could just buy a new vehicle thus you must be thinking of a price range? Different vehicles of either model will vary considerably with price depending on model year history, condition, number of miles, gas mileage, features. For the amount of money cars cost, one really needs to do a lot of homework, especially when focusing in on specific vehicles for sale. Of course Outbacks have always been the larger, heavier, higher wheelbase, more expensive models. In any case, the older a specific vehicle with more mileage, the more importance of evaluating a vehicles maintenance and condition. If one is not a car savvy person, the wiser strategy is buy a Carmax or Subaru dealer pre-owned certified vehicle or buy something with low mileage just a year or three old. Both models can serve a list of purposes of outdoor enthusiasts and newer models are going to especially have more recent electronic features if that matters. Even the most full featured 10 year old Outback won't have some features of a recent year Forester.

I have a 2007 Forester with 200k+ miles. I put my 3 skis inside the bed thus do not carry them on the roof. I sleep in the back bed at all times of year. I do a lot of outdoor day and multi-day road trips all year long and tend to pile in a lot more gear than other people. Snow utility and driving performance is not going to be that different. Each model sub-type over each year will have different features that may be of personal interest.

www.subaruoutback.org
www.subaruforester.org

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Handling, etc.: Forester

Utility: Outback

Price: Forester

Where I live -- small, crazy active town, so maybe a bit of an anomaly -- used Outbacks are in HUGE demand. If you can buy new and keep forever, you're better off.

My choice would be a used Outback H6, discussed here: https://www.pugski.com/threads/best-year-s-of-the-outback.13749/

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I own a 2015 Outback, and often drive a Forester when I get a loaner car when mine is in for routine maintenance. (I stress routine, because I have never had a problem with it).

My impressions are that the Outback is heavier and has a more solid feel to it...I prefer the way it handles to the Forester.

The Forester has a great FOV and a more spacious feel inside. The XT version is really fun to drive, (but comes at the cost of lower MPG) but the regular version is just meh, IMO. If you prefer a higher seating position and tons of headroom, the Forester might be for you.

For winter conditions, I’d prefer the Outback. Even though I “only” live in PA, I live in a rural area with rarely plowed roads and lots of drifting when it snows, and I make twice-weekly drives to the Pocono Plateau, where weather conditions can be very changeable (whiteout snow squalls).

I run Blizzaks mounted on steel rims.

I also prefer the lower roof height as I regularly load one or two paddle boards on the roof in the summer. Do you want to ever load anything onto the roof of your car?

BTW, the new Forester (2019) is better....a little more solid feel, better handling. But a little to “techy” for me.....I am all for safety features, but the displays were too distracting. But if you’re looking at used, that isn’t as much of a concern.

Make sure your used vehicle has only been used out West....here in the East, the prolific use of salt (mostly very corrosive calcium chloride) on our roads has a very visible rusting effect...I was dismayed recently when I saw the underside of my vehicle.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
Make sure your used vehicle has only been used out West....here in the East, the prolific use of salt (mostly very corrosive calcium chloride) on our roads has a very visible rusting effect...I was dismayed recently when I saw the underside of my vehicle.
Some makes, models, model years, do much better then others with that. Bad metal will rust like all get out! I would hope you were seeing inconsequential parts which are prone to rusting from heat and not bodywork!

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
I own a 2015 Outback, and often drive a Forester when I get a loaner car when mine is in for routine maintenance. (I stress routine, because I have never had a problem with it).

My impressions are that the Outback is heavier and has a more solid feel to it...I prefer the way it handles to the Forester.

The Forester has a great FOV and a more spacious feel inside. The XT version is really fun to drive, (but comes at the cost of lower MPG) but the regular version is just meh, IMO. If you prefer a higher seating position and tons of headroom, the Forester might be for you.

For winter conditions, I’d prefer the Outback. Even though I “only” live in PA, I live in a rural area with rarely plowed roads and lots of drifting when it snows, and I make twice-weekly drives to the Pocono Plateau, where weather conditions can be very changeable (whiteout snow squalls).

I run Blizzaks mounted on steel rims.

I also prefer the lower roof height as I regularly load one or two paddle boards on the roof in the summer. Do you want to ever load anything onto the roof of your car?

BTW, the new Forester (2019) is better....a little more solid feel, better handling. But a little to “techy” for me.....I am all for safety features, but the displays were too distracting. But if you’re looking at used, that isn’t as much of a concern.

Good point about the roof height. I’m tall so it doesn’t matter, but my daugher who we gave our old Outback to likes that she can get skis on and off pretty easily. She would have preferred a Forester based on looks and perceived sportiness, etc., but now that she’s had it for a while she too really likes the outback.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some makes, models, model years, do much better then others with that. Bad metal will rust like all get out! I would hope you were seeing inconsequential parts which are prone to rusting from heat and not bodywork!

No bodywork. I viewed the undercarriage with a technician while discussing a leak in my snow tire.

However, any mechanic here will tell you that ever since calcium chloride began to be sprayed on our roads, ALL vehicles are corroding faster.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you do decide on the Outback, make sure that you test drive both the 4 and 6 cylinder versions. I drove the 4 cylinder and hated it. I drove the 6 cylinder and bought it. (Note: this is the 5th Generation Outback that I'm talking about.) There is only a 1 or 2 mpg penalty for choosing the 6 over the 4, so it was a no brainer for me.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No bodywork. I viewed the undercarriage with a technician while discussing a leak in my snow tire.

However, any mechanic here will tell you that ever since calcium chloride began to be sprayed on our roads, ALL vehicles are corroding faster.
True that. I'm well aware of calcium chloride, mgnesium chloride and calicum hydroxide. Been drip dosing the stuff in my aquarium on a nightly basis for the clams and stony corals for years! I'm happy to read that it's not the bodywork!

BTW, I have a sister who lived in Syracuse for eleven years, talk about rust! Her cars weren't bad, but some of her friends vehicles, one wouldn't allow her children to ride in the husbands rust bucket SUV, she wouldn't either!

If you ski Gore MT in the A'dacks, North Creek, their road mix includes garnet chips from Barton Mines, you can see it glisten in the sun, it's pretty cool!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I don't know how it is in other places, but jesus they put so much salt on our roads... Calcium chloride or sodium chloride..the salt is an inch thick in spots..just dumped on the roads. I wish they'd just use sand like up north..

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
She would have preferred a Forester based on looks and perceived sportiness, etc., but now that she’s had it for a while she too really likes the outback.
I don't care for the look of either. When I test drove the Impreza wagon and WRX, I then asked to try a more utilitarian vehicle, salsemen told me based on my driving I'd be happier with the Forester's better handling over the Outback due to Forresters shorter wheelbase. I drove the 2017 turbo Forester and was horrifiyed by the body roll and sway when cornering (bear in mind my first car was a ginormous mid 1970's era Ford LTD Country Squire station wagon with faux wood side pannels, darnd things body would go sideways cornering). The new Forester should be better there with its stiffer chassis, IDK, haven't been back for a test drive.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The 2013 Outback is a wallow-wagon. And apparently they improved some handling dynamics issues that plagued the 2010-2012 models. It hangs on, but do not confuse this vehicle for a vehicle with "good handling". If you're looking for that, look elsewhere..

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Have owned 3 Outbacks. '97, '04, '11. All around 200K miles. Great cars. All 4 cylinders, plenty of power.
Forresters feel like tin boxes to me compared to the Outback.

Also on the '04 I had a fairly powerful accident, not quite totaled front end. Airbag deployed, I was completely uninjured.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Forester is taller and a bit shorter than the Outback. The Outback's driver's seat and front passenger seat felt a bit crowded to me so I like the added headroom in the Forester.

We put skis in the back and bikes on a hitch mounted tray rack. But strapping the kayaks to the roof is a bit of a PITA. You can always carry a step stool.

One thing we love about our 2014 Forester is it has great visibility. Best of any car I have ever driven I think.

Handling is OK - much prefer the smoother ride of my Highlander. Never had any issues driving in snow.

Sponsor

Staff online