• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Subaru Ascent 7 Passenger Concept (actually Preview)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny enough, I did not sit in the passenger seat. I was a bit rushed and it was clearly an oversight on my part. But looking at it, it looked the same as the drivers seat which was very comfortable and totally adjustable. It was every bit as adjustable as the seat in my now gone Tahoe LTZ. The drivers seat on the Ascent lacked nothing and I am 6’ 3”

Hope that helps
Subaru Passenger seats tend NOT to have the same adjustments as their drivers seats, there is no tilting of the seat lower.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would just inquire about the similarity of the seats on the Ascent. I have been in vehicles when they have not been the case. We made a VERY thorough check on my Mini Countryman that I ordered this week and the seating, the adjustability of the seating, and the legroom in the 2nd row. The version I got had equally adjustable power seating in the driver and front passenger seats. NO WAY Betsy would sit in a crappy seat.

So, IF it is not fully adjustable, that is a deal breaker.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug

Apparently the top two models of the Ascent (leather seated models) have the power adjustable passenger seats
But is it 4 way or 8 way? I have yet to see an Asian vehicle under $60K that had an 8 way adjustable passenger seat.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That is just stupid for a vehicle trying to break into a new category
EVERY Asian vehicle in this catagory is the same. It was one of the top reasons we don't get the Outback when we decided on the Alltrack. Again, check out the passenger seat for yourselves. It might not be an issue, in our case it was. I doubt Subaru has lost more than .05% of Outback sales because of our situation so it is not high on their radar.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
But they need to beat a lot of American made vehicles in the category, and there are some good ones
Again, a 8 way passenger seat is rarely a stumbing block for all but a few buyers. In our case, we drive a lot of long distances and it just didn't work for us. If you look at Outback, Highlander ect sales, loosing tens of sales is not a concern.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Again, a 8 way passenger seat is rarely a stumbing block for all but a few buyers. In our case, we drive a lot of long distances and it just didn't work for us. If you look at Outback, Highlander ect sales, loosing tens of sales is not a concern.

Yeah, was never a problem for us in the three Subies I've had from 2004 through now. The shape of the 2008 Outback seats was more of a problem - they curved inward in a way that didn't accommodate Eric's broad shoulders.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, taking info from the Toyota 4 X 4 thread, I checked into the Forerunner. Non-starter as it does not have a power rear liftgate.

So, back to the Ascent, Explorer (not a fan of Ford) and a Traverse, but I doubt Betsy will get a Traverse. The 4 way seat is likely not an issue for us, but the 2.0L turbo engine could be a stumbling block. I wonder how it performs at altitude??? Anyone have any ideas? I know normally aspirated engines perform poorly at altitude compared to sea level.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
VW Atlas? I believe @Dadskier has one. The new Hyundai Sante Fe will be coming with a diesel. You shouldn't write off the Ascent until you actually it in and drive it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
but the 2.0L turbo engine could be a stumbling block

My 2004 WRX wagon had a 2.0L turbo. Of course, smaller vehicle and all that, but also older technology. It ran great except for tight hairpin turns - it was a manual transmission, and neither first nor second gear seemed to be quite right for those 10mph nearly-180* uphill turns. Much less of an issue with the Outback, which had a 2.5L turbo.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
VW Atlas? I believe @Dadskier has one. The new Hyundai Sante Fe will be coming with a diesel. You shouldn't write off the Ascent until you actually it in and drive it.

A Diesel Atlas? No. Though it was obviously designed with one in mind. (some of the early digital dashboards popped up with diesel interfaces by mistake).

The passenger seat is a kind of a miss on the Atlas on the S and SE versions. I knew it wasn't powered, but they dropped the manual height adjustment for some reason (something base model VWs have had for years) and it sits pretty low. Visibility in the passenger seat isn't great for short people. SEL and up have fully powered passenger seats.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A Diesel Atlas? No. Though it was obviously designed with one in mind. (some of the early digital dashboards popped up with diesel interfaces by mistake).

The passenger seat is a kind of a miss on the Atlas on the S and SE versions. I knew it wasn't powered, but they dropped the manual height adjustment for some reason (something base model VWs have had for years) and it sits pretty low. Visibility in the passenger seat isn't great for short people. SEL and up have fully powered passenger seats.
Diesel Santa Fe. Shame the Altas dropped the multi adjustment passenger seat. Our basic Alltrack S even has that.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I did drive the Ascent this past week

Loved it, but unsure of the power at 5500’ to 8500’

4 way power seat is fine, the Ascent is freaking awesome

Big vehicle for the small engine is my only concern

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I saw a couple on the road now, boy is it big, especially for a Subaru. At first glance it looks like a Outback, which is big in it's own right then I immediately realized that is was the Ascent. The first one was in a parking lot so I got a chance to walk around it and look inside, this one was a Limited andhad the rear bucket seats which the layout looked real nice. The next one was on the road and there was a Outback in the next lane and the size difference was obvious.

If the power is there from the 4 cyl turbo and the engine doesn't have to work too hard and the ecomomy is compomised, Subaru will have another winner here...by Subaru standards. This is a tough and very crowded segment with a lot of great options, I am not sure if Honda and Toyota will notice a drop in sales from the Ascent but Hyundai, Mazda and maybe even the domestics might feel it more.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If the power is there from the 4 cyl turbo and the engine doesn't have to work too hard and the ecomomy is compomised, Subaru will have another winner here

That first one is a big "if." My 6 cylinder Outback does fine, but my old 4 cylinder turbo had more pickup. People complain about the lack of oomf on the 4 cylinder Outback ... the Outback has been a 2.5L, Ascent a 2.4L for a bigger vehicle. What am I missing?

Sponsor

Staff online