• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Subaru Ascent 7 Passenger Concept (actually Preview)

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
Heard (from folks who checked it out at the auto show) that the third row leaves a lot to be desired.
That would be a shame as this was the biggest shortcoming of the Tribeca. I haven't seen it in person but pictures indicate that the 3rd row is one of the roomier in the class. Maybe it's not a Traverse back there but it appears larger than the Highlander, CX-9, Explorer, etc. Will have to get inside one at the NY Auto Show next week.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Heard (from folks who checked it out at the auto show) that the third row leaves a lot to be desired.

Interesting that the Limited is listed with "Up to 26mpg" but the lower models had "Up to 27mpg". Same engine too. Maybe the bigger wheels (20inch vs 18inch) are the critical factor?!

Likely the wheels, but also more options = more weight.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am going to really want to like this but for some reason, I think it is going to fall short in feel. With that said, they will sell a ton of them. This is going to do for Subie what the XC90 did for Volvo when that was released.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am going to really want to like this but for some reason, I think it is going to fall short in feel. With that said, they will sell a ton of them. This is going to do for Subie what the XC90 did for Volvo when that was released.

I am still miffed that they are not including HUD as an option on this vehicle. Best safety measure I have ever had.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
My guess is there was some confusion around the "you can't report on this until XX date / time" cutoff. (What's that called again?)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
WANT.

Can't have, but want.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Links fixed. Something happened when I tried to make them look clean. I never got this whole "forum" link think figured out.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Links fixed. Something happened when I tried to make them look clean. I never got this whole "forum" link think figured out.

You got the order of the name vs the URL swapped, didn't you?

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
This is going to do for Subie what the XC90 did for Volvo when that was released.

This could be a big hit for Subaru as it will keep Subaru buyers who need a 3rd row from jumping to other brands. It may also attract some new customers. It fills a gap in the lineup and should be a high-margin vehicle. But Subaru has been the industry's biggest success story over the last 10+ years. They've been growing year after year (including years when other manufacturers struggled). The Ascent could add to the good news but Subaru's trend has been positive.

This is where the Ascent differs from the XC90 which absolutely saved Volvo. 5 years ago, Volvo sales in the US had dropped to about 50,000 cars/year. This is a number bordering on irrelevancy for a full line automaker. Last year Volvo sold 80,000 cars and 30,000 of them were XC90s. The XC90 is a flawed vehicle in a lot of ways (many buyers are unhappy with reliability) but it is exactly what Volvo needed to turn itself around. Subaru will not be able to tell a similar story about the Ascent (and that's a good thing).

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
If only the 2nd and 3rd row seats were all easily removable. The floor flat. And the roof 2ft taller.

Then it'd be the perfect Subaru van I've always wanted.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am still miffed that they are not including HUD as an option on this vehicle. Best safety measure I have ever had.

From the Jalopnik review: There’s a heads-up display for EyeSight that will flash right in your line of vision if you get something wrong, which is useful.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Test drove an Ascent today. It was the basic model, but I wanted to check out the size and engine.

It was a bigger than I had expected, certainly the size of a Ford Explorer if not larger. Seats were great, it more than lived up to the hype and exceeded my expectations.

I have not had a Subaru before, but the only thing that was iffy, and I say only iffy, was the engine power. I did not get a chance to drive it on the freeway, but I will say it had adequate power. I am not a big go fast driver, so it would be fine for me. Mrs. 53 likes power tho

Edited to add: They are gonna sell the crap outta this thing!!!! IF it had the 3.6L engine it would be a slam dunk and I would have bought one today (ok, ordered one to be built which is a 8-10 week process). I think I would need to drive it at altitude before I plunked down any cash.

I just ordered a new vehicle this week to be delivered in Utah, so this will be Betsy’s choice/decision

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Test drove an Ascent today. It was the basic model, but I wanted to check out the size and engine.

It was a bigger than I had expected, certainly the size of a Ford Explorer if not larger. Seats were great, it more than lived up to the hype and exceeded my expectations.

I have not had a Subaru before, but the only thing that was iffy, and I say only iffy, was the engine power. I did not get a chance to drive it on the freeway, but I will say it had adequate power. I am not a big go fast driver, so it would be fine for me. Mrs. 53 likes power tho

Edited to add: They are gonna sell the crap outta this thing!!!! IF it had the 3.6L engine it would be a slam dunk and I would have bought one today (ok, ordered one to be built which is a 8-10 week process). I think I would need to drive it at altitude before I plunked down any cash.

I just ordered a new vehicle this week to be delivered in Utah, so this will be Betsy’s choice/decision
How was the passenger seat? this has been one of my biggest gripes with Subaru, the lack of adjustment with the passenger seat and specifically how flat the seat is and little if no support under the back of the legs.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How was the passenger seat? this has been one of my biggest gripes with Subaru, the lack of adjustment with the passenger seat and specifically how flat the seat is and little if no support under the back of the legs.

Funny enough, I did not sit in the passenger seat. I was a bit rushed and it was clearly an oversight on my part. But looking at it, it looked the same as the drivers seat which was very comfortable and totally adjustable. It was every bit as adjustable as the seat in my now gone Tahoe LTZ. The drivers seat on the Ascent lacked nothing and I am 6’ 3”

Hope that helps

Sponsor

Staff online