• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Subaru Ascent 7 Passenger Concept (actually Preview)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is hard to discern the size..I am looking forward to seeing it next to an Outback which is large on it's own.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty easily, mate it to a five or six speed transmission with a fairly aggressive final drive and give ti good brakes. The modern four will do what the V6 would 20 years ago. Add a blower and it will do even more.

Check that, except I think it is CVT in all models. I don't think that is typically the towing transmission of choice, but maybe I'm off base there.

Love that brown interior!

Last edited:

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
At least from the pics, I like it a lot.

I'd been thinking that I'd replace my outback with a new one in a few years, but I'll have to take a look at this too. The extra room would definitely come in handy at times. Be very curious to see official numbers when they're available (price, fuel economy, dimensions, etc.).

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I hope the higher trim levels get a bigger / more capable engine.

we noticed throttle response and acceleration were strong from a stop but wished for more power for passing at cruising speed with the pedal mashed to the floor. It is the same beef we have with the 2.0-liter in the smaller Crosstrek. It’s part of the industry move toward smaller engines, and Subaru wants best-in-class fuel economy. Certified mileage figures are expected in January.

Husband says he will consider it if they fix the thing where the radio always starts when you start the car - a sore spot with my Outback. I really, really hope they fix it.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier

we noticed throttle response and acceleration were strong from a stop but wished for more power for passing at cruising speed with the pedal mashed to the floor. It is the same beef we have with the 2.0-liter in the smaller Crosstrek. It’s part of the industry move toward smaller engines, and Subaru wants best-in-class fuel economy. Certified mileage figures are expected in January.

Husband says he will consider it if they fix the thing where the radio always starts when you start the car - a sore spot with my Outback. I really, really hope they fix it.

That small engine is also a non-starter.

Nice vehicle, but no way with that engine and no HUD

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I am still in total disbelief that a new design would not have an HUD as standard equipment

SMH

You're the only person I've ever "met" who was strongly concerned about this feature.

I understand why it would be helpful, but I don't think it's a driver for most people. It sounds very expensive, especially to fix. Is it done with a projection, or is it built into the window? What happens if a rock flies up and hits the window?

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You're the only person I've ever "met" who was strongly concerned about this feature.

I understand why it would be helpful, but I don't think it's a driver for most people. It sounds very expensive, especially to fix. Is it done with a projection, or is it built into the window? What happens if a rock flies up and hits the window?

It is projected. I have it in my Tahoe, Betsy does not have it in her Escalade. I now hate driving her vehicle. ONLY downside is it is not really visible with polarized glasses, so I have to wear different glasses to drive my car.

I downsized to my Tahoe, and can totally see a Ascent sized vehicle for our next car, but not with that engine.

I guess the HUD would not be a deal breaker, but it would factor into an equation when weighing between vehicle choices. NO way Betsy would drive a vehicle with that small engine, and our next vehicle purchase will be hers as I just got one this year

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier

That behavior is typical of neutered turbo engines, at higher revs it has to pull timing to keep itself from blowing up on 87 gas.

350 HP and torque would be quite reasonable to do with 2.4 turbo but would require probably 93 gas.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Agreed it's underpowered.

My old Outback requires premium. That seems reasonable for a turbo, anyway.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
It's a Subaru turbo, a quick flash with a Cobb Accessport or a local tuner should be able to give you any additional power you might need.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am liking large pick-up trucks more and more, I need to move outta here! jajaja

Seriously, The full size pick-ups have a huge tank (30+ Gallons) and even with the V8s they get 22mph on the highway. Put a liner and a hard cover on the truck bed and the toys are secure. :D

So that might be my next vehicle instead of a large SUV... humm :huh::doh:

There is a lot to be said for a truck. Like way more cargo space, higher load capacity, probably better towing.

There is also a lot to be said for an SUV like this. It should allow for better fuel economy, it will seat 7 people, and it is a lot shorter, allowing for way better parking and maneuvering.

Unfortunately, there is no single design that wins on all fronts.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Since car reviews seldom test the AWD systems very well (except in true off-road vehicles), I’d be more inclined to trust Subaru than one of the other brands to make a true, functional AWD system.

My parents rented a car in Chicago a few years back. The rental agent talked them into upgrading (at a steep price hike) to an AWD because of the expected snow on the drive to MInnesota.
Once they got here, they tried to turn around in some unplowed dead end and got stuck, despite the “AWD”, once two wheels wheels were in the soft snow, the two on the good surface stopped turning.

Still would prefer to see actual serious AWD Tests in a car review, but they tend to be in warm places like CA.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
Since car reviews seldom test the AWD systems very well (except in true off-road vehicles), I’d be more inclined to trust Subaru than one of the other brands to make a true, functional AWD system.

My parents rented a car in Chicago a few years back. The rental agent talked them into upgrading (at a steep price hike) to an AWD because of the expected snow on the drive to MInnesota.
Once they got here, they tried to turn around in some unplowed dead end and got stuck, despite the “AWD”, once two wheels wheels were in the soft snow, the two on the good surface stopped turning.

Still would prefer to see actual serious AWD Tests in a car review, but they tend to be in warm places like CA.

I don't think manufacturers would play ball and send their cars to be decimated. The last gen CRV was notorious with regard to AWD, unable to send enough torque to get you moving, then shuts down after a few attempts due to overheat.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This Ascent looks like a real winner from the most recent magazine reviews and the Subaru website.

Unless there is a glaring issue, we will likely go this direction for a 4WD/AWD vehicle.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any details on pricing? Rough guess?
here ya go:
5929B5B8-4321-4032-A75E-42455242EAFF.jpeg
B5D6B2D0-4D85-4CE4-9BFE-FDB3259A735B.jpeg
0F8B6FF8-CA6C-4C67-A258-BC5AFF8F1598.jpeg
6582E83A-DAB1-4B59-8CF2-32AD26E276CB.jpeg

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Heard (from folks who checked it out at the auto show) that the third row leaves a lot to be desired.