• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Subaru Ascent 7 Passenger Concept (actually Preview)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
SUBARU ASCENT SUV CONCEPT MAKES WORLD DEBUT AT THE 2017 NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW​

AR-304129991.jpg

PH-412009996.jpg&Maxw=1200&cci_ts=20170412103000

PH-412009996.jpg&Maxw=1200&cci_ts=20170412103000

Subaru Press Release:
Subaru confirms future 3-row SUV will be named Subaru Ascent
The Ascent will be powered by an all-new turbocharged DI Boxer Engine
Ascent SUV Concept showcases 7 passenger interior

NEW YORK - Subaru of America, Inc., which this month posted its 64th consecutive month of record-breaking sales, today made the world debut of the Subaru Ascent SUV Concept. The styling concept also confirms the name Ascent for the upcoming Subaru 3-row SUV. Both the design concept and the production Ascent will feature an all-new turbocharged direct injection boxer engine.

The exterior design of the concept follows Subaru’s “Dynamic x Solid” theme with powerful fender flares representing Subaru’s all-wheel drive system and a large, bluff grille denoting a true SUV look. The interior of the concept features a flowing dashboard design and a 7-passenger configuration with center captain’s chairs.

The Ascent production model will be based on a modified version of the Subaru Global Platform that debuted last year. The model will be built at Subaru of Indiana, Inc. in Lafayette, Indiana and will be sold exclusively in the North American market starting in 2018.

Specifications:
Body size: (Length x Width x Height) 198.8 x 78.3 x 72.4 inches
Wheelbase: 117 inches
Tire Size: 275/50 R21
Seating Capacity: 7

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Looks like its going to be quite expensive. Well north of $40k

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looks like its going to be quite expensive. Well north of $40k

I assume you mean a loaded one? The starting price will be well under that, it has to be.

Chevy Traverse: $28,700
Nissan Pathfinder: $30,290
Honda Pilot: $30,595
Toyota Highlander: $30,660
Hyundai Santa Fe: $30,800
Mazda CX-9: $31,520
Ford Explorer: $31,660

I think you can almost guarantee that the starting price will be right in that range. But yes, the top of the line is gonna be north of $40k for sure.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It will be interesting how Subaru's second attempt to move up in size and price from the Outback goes.

Of my admittedly small sample of friends who own or have owned Outbacks, when they are ready to move up in size, they also seem ready to move up from Subaru.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
The last one was ugly and has unusable back seat, so this one should do much better.

I'm guessing the 2.4 turbo will be used in the next STi as well, and will be around 300 HP. So the 2.0 turbo is shared between Forester and WRX, and 2.4 is shared between Ascent and STi (both tuned for higher end HP in latter cases).

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I am liking large pick-up trucks more and more, I need to move outta here! jajaja

Seriously, The full size pick-ups have a huge tank (30+ Gallons) and even with the V8s they get 22mph on the highway. Put a liner and a hard cover on the truck bed and the toys are secure. :D

So that might be my next vehicle instead of a large SUV... humm :huh::doh:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Hmmmmm ....

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I see no reference to clearance ... looks a little lower than Outback? Yes/No?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I do not understand why no one makes a high-clearance minivan.
The new market is limited but the used market will be huge. ;)

They would need to find a different name for it, any vehicle associated with the term "mini-van" has a death sentance. Any designer that brings up the work "mini-van" will be black balled in a manner akin to the McCarthy era.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The new market is limited but the used market will be huge. ;)

They would need to find a different name for it, any vehicle associated with the term "mini-van" has a death sentance. Any designer that brings up the work "mini-van" will be black balled in a manner akin to the McCarthy era.

The Sequoia would be close in intent, no? Could a company build something like that but not quite so ridiculously gas-guzzling?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Car companies public-research the heck out of new vehicles...make noise it might be heard. Apparently, women drive the car design market...