• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Style vs technique

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Interesting article. Wish we'd get this quality of content from PSIA.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have always been impressed on how at the bottom of a turn good skiers are in the same basic position from the 30's to today. must be the physics part

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm never disappointed when I take the time to read Josh's material

I really like this line

. Style is very different from technique, but you need both. Don’t let style affect your technique, and don’t be so focused on technique that your skiing doesn’t have any style.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Josh has a collection of great instructional tips on the web. Good to see some clear, coherent writing/footage about ski instruction, and more than a single paragraph. :thumb:

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I love Josh's skiing, and I really love his delivery of information. The way he casually explains what he's doing, with simple Canadian charm, WHILE SKIING (even bumps) is the best. I just watched that 25 minute video they made about him and Big White, it's great.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Technique vs Style....Science vs Art,
When I first read Josh Foster's article, I struggled with just what he was trying to communicate (says the engineer/technician in me). So, spent some time looking at many of his short, quick tips videos to get a better sense of the man and his message. @Superbman stated quite well that his communication style is casual and simple, and, his skiing totally reflects the same simple and casual style. No information overload, no technical explanations, no radical body movements. Just warm, friendly and straightforward. I'm guessing that 90% of those looking for instruction they can emulate easily would love to be in a class taught by Josh.

There is plenty of technique/science of information on the web for those seeking greater technical skills, but. we all should be able to learn by listening and watching Josh. His message is much better understood following a little research.

Jjmd

Putting on skis
Skier
Someone can be stylish, for example a skier with slightly too much of a up move in transition, and look ok but not be as efficient or versatile as someone with correct technique. Where I disagree is that one needs to combine style and technique ,because if you have correct technique, you automatically have style that manifests itself in efficient ,powerful skiing. It’s not like an idiosyncratic golf or tennis movement that is correct at impact but looks terrible, correct skiing by definition looks smooth and clean. How many racers on the D1, Nor Am, World Cup, pick your venue, look bad or have “ insufficient style”. In skiing, style comes from correct technique. Correct technique in skiing can not look bad, no matter the condition, therefore there is absolutely no reason to ever work on style.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Liked Josh's article. That sounded a lot like what he says in his how to ski videos.

Style evolves as technique develops. A detrimental motion is not style, it is a technique error. Caveat: I still will do a mombo (turns initiated with extreme upper body rotation) now and then.

To see a skier with good technique an absence of style is boring. The cruiser who links continual linked turns run after run without playing with the terrain, altering up turn shapes, or turn initiations is missing the spontaneity of the sport. They look like they have a song stuck in their heads, and they really need a playlist.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Except in the context of flashy ski clothing I have no idea what “style” actually means; and I bet you’d get as many different answers as there were skiers polled. Which is a good indication that it’s a bogus idea!

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Style is the accent, and technique is the language. Style is what sets skiers apart from one another, how you can recognize your friend coming down the hill before you can make out who they actually are. Technique is what makes skiers look the same, and gets you down the hill in a controlled manner.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Skills are the actions you can perform, technique is how you choose to use those skills. Style is technique constrained by limited skills.

dm

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Style is what sets skiers apart from one another, how you can recognize your friend coming down the hill before you can make out who they actually are.

Style doesn't have to be stylish. I have a few friends I can recognize that way..."Is that X?" "Nope, right color coat, but that's not how he skis."
The boundaries of good technique are broad enough to accommodate some variation. And then there is speed, turn size, line choice.

James

Out There
Instructor
People walk differently. Not exactly "style" in a fashion sense, but still style. In skiing you have rythm of turns also and variation of turn shape. I ski with someone who makes tons of very consistent small radius turns. He's like a metronome. That's his style. Or call it habit. Who cares.

People have different body types. HK will never ski like Hirscher. Lindsey will have a different "style" then Mikaela. Some is body, some how they grew up? Lindsey on straight skis. Be interesting to see how much a-framing she has in her free skiing.

Last edited: