• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stupid mistake = 6 broken ribs and broken collarbone

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
I was skiing a catwalk trainman from Swifty to Shedhornlift at a high rate of speed, got confused at the intersection of cow flats and middle road and tried to turn left instead of going straight. As soon as I started the turn I realized there wasn’t enough room, put a lot of pressure on the skis and my right binding released sending me hard into the concrete hard catwalk. I heard the bones cracking when I hit. I’m done for the season.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Any metal and screws needed for your collarbone? I had the full metal treatment after a skateboarding accident. I hope you can find a comfortable position for sleeping. For me, it was in a recliner chair -- the only way I could sleep for a couple of months. It took me a year before I could raise my arm to use 2 hands for shampooing my hair. I hope your recovery goes better. Concrete and collarbones are a bad combination.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To quote myself (old thread on Epic)
Oy, my ribs!

From experience:
It will be about
  • 1 month before you can cough
  • 2 months before you can laugh or sneeze, depending on the depth of the sneeze
  • 6 months before you will start to feel normal
  • 1 year before you can forget about it. (depending on any rib that may be in a nagging spot)

TS
SShore

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Any metal and screws needed for your collarbone? I had the full metal treatment after a skateboarding accident. I hope you can find a comfortable position for sleeping. For me, it was in a recliner chair -- the only way I could sleep for a couple of months. It took me a year before I could raise my arm to use 2 hands for shampooing my hair. I hope your recovery goes better. Concrete and collarbones are a bad combination.
Fortunately all clean breaks so no surgery needed.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ouch!! I now know exactly where you were, having gone down that same route. I have had the broken collarbone.. it takes a while, longer if you wrecked your shoulder at all. The ribs.. .it only hurts when you laugh :roflmao:
I'm sorry we didn't hook up while I was there, but maybe I'm glad I wasn't following you!!
Hope you heal fast , and are back on the the hill soon.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Skiing above the clouds with Dom
F26AFB64-26CF-441E-AA45-ADDD3779E2FB.jpeg

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry to hear this. Glad you don't need surgery. Take it easy and look forward to next season.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
To quote myself (old thread on Epic)
Oy, my ribs!

From experience:
It will be about
  • 1 month before you can cough
  • 2 months before you can laugh or sneeze, depending on the depth of the sneeze
  • 6 months before you will start to feel normal
  • 1 year before you can forget about it. (depending on any rib that may be in a nagging spot)
+1 to all that.. Been there twice in the past decade. Just ribs though, no collarbone.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While you were recuperating, I was skiing with Dom at Mt Rose. The day started above the clouds in winter like bluebird conditions, and ended with spring skiing and a view of Carson Valley.
You have raised a really nice young lady.
Skiing above the clouds with Dom View attachment 41395
Similar perspective as the first photo.
IMG_7032.jpeg

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
ouch, collarbone no fun. ribs maybe worse.hope you heal fast & fully.

TS
SShore

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
While you were recuperating, I was skiing with Dom at Mt Rose. The day started above the clouds in winter like bluebird conditions, and ended with spring skiing and a view of Carson Valley.
You have raised a really nice young lady.

Similar perspective as the first photo.
View attachment 41413

Thank you so much for taking her. She had a great time. She is on her way to Bozeman to get me out of the hospital and take me home.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I was skiing a catwalk trainman from Swifty to Shedhornlift at a high rate of speed, got confused at the intersection of cow flats and middle road and tried to turn left instead of going straight. As soon as I started the turn I realized there wasn’t enough room, put a lot of pressure on the skis and my right binding released sending me hard into the concrete hard catwalk. I heard the bones cracking when I hit. I’m done for the season.

I liked your post to acknowledge it and to say thank you for your good attitude towards an injury. And sharing, which could help others, though this was just an accident, and shite happens.

Anyways, perfect time to enjoy wine, scotch and binge watching ski movies. Not as good as skiing, but hey!