• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Studded Nokian Hakkapelitta 8 vs Hakkapelitta 9?

James

Out There
Instructor
I don’t think you can optimize all areas with a snow tire. Dry and wet pavement seem to suffer. My Viking Contact 7 snow tires probably have more surface feel feedback on snow covered roads than dry. It’s interesting.

TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wondering if the Haaka 9’s are better in slush because of more space between blocks.
No doubt, the studded Hakka's are much better in slush than my X-ices, especially in deep slush where the Hakkas dig down and move it away instead of riding on top of it. Deep slush seems to be fairly rare, though, and you know when it's there and can adjust your speed accordingly.

Wet ice is where I think the studded Hakkas shine over the X-ices. Think a road with a couple of inches of packed snow on a day with a daytime high of 45 degrees and a low of 15. We see that fairly often in CO.

The studded Hakkas have fantastic grip on the ice on top of the packed snow, both cold and wet. The X-ice's don't do well with a layer of melted water on top of the ice. I suspect they are much better than all-season's, though I don't have any mounted, so haven't tested any.

Edit to add: With warming temps, it seems even more important to have winter tires, ironically. We've seen layers of ice in Denver due to freezing rain and melt and freeze cycles that we never used to see here, and those are just the conditions were studded tires are superior.

Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is how we use the hakkas ;)

Ice, and snow drifting/racing/fun every winter. Good for developing right reflexes if anything actually happens when driving on public roads with other cars.

From back when the 997TT was just out and cool.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I absolutely love my 8's on my SQ5. When I purchased, all indications were that the 9's were a slight evolution, not a revolution.

Yes, the studs probably hindrer dry pavement. And yes, they are noisy on dry pavement, but have quieted down with wear. The biggest dividend.... the security that I've had in driving over passes from SW CO to the I70 corridor this winter - and many of those dtrives have happened when CO was getting pounded.

offtraildog

Booting up
Skier
getting some Hakka 9s to replace some older non-studded Hakka's .. as I was calling tire stores for availability, Discount Tire mentioned Nokian has a huge backorder and availability for sizes/models not in current regional inventory is early Jan. fortunately, I need a non-typical size in non-run flat and they are avail from the regional distributor.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
getting some Hakka 9s to replace some older non-studded Hakka's .. as I was calling tire stores for availability, Discount Tire mentioned Nokian has a huge backorder and availability for sizes/models not in current regional inventory is early Jan. fortunately, I need a non-typical size in non-run flat and they are avail from the regional distributor.

i just picked up 3 sets of Hakka 9 studded last week to replace our worn out tires. I only run them to 1/2depth then sell the old ones. The Nokian shop here said the same thing about availability. Lot of sizes are already out of stock due to reduced manufacturing back in late spring/early summer.

James

Out There
Instructor
If your desperate, the Nokian Nordman is the old Hakka 7 I believe. Might be more available.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I usually get mine via tiresbyweb.com. Then I take them to Howie.

offtraildog

Booting up
Skier
Howie does my tire swaps. ended up getting them at Point S in Kalispell. Bought from them in the past and they have competitive prices and fast service (geez - that sounds like an ad).

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
tested my new hakkas today, the local car hooligans doing skids/donuts on the resort parkinglot were a bit surprised by the porsche cayenne joining them for a few laps ;)