• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Studded Nokian Hakkapelitta 8 vs Hakkapelitta 9?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yes, I have the 8's

They are awesome on ice and hard pack. On deeper snow the Blizzacks are a bit better but the Hakka 8's are just quieter much more refined
Thanks, the tire dealers around here do not stock the Hakka's they have to order them. The Blizzacks are easier to find locally.

James

Out There
Instructor
There’s a new Blizzak WS 90 that replaces the 80. Supposedly lasts longer.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Thanks, the tire dealers around here do not stock the Hakka's they have to order them. The Blizzacks are easier to find locally.
I've gotten mine thru Tires By Web, which is Discount Tire. My daughter is fortunate to live in a bigger city so she has Discount Tire, but that's 3 hours away.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
The problem with the 8s is that there now are the 9s. When I had an 8 ruined by a pothole, there were no similar 8s available, so we ended up replacing all four with 9s. They're very similar in performance.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Note that below -13C, 9F, studless tires stop quicker on ice. Above that, studs effectiveness rapidly improves.

So here we see different results for bare ice at different temperatures,
I think that points to a huge issue with testing or choosing winter tires: the extreme variability of the surface conditions and what tire performs best in those specific conditions.
This makes it very hard to perform good tests that are relevant to different users across their entire season.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
So here we have different result for bare ice at direct temperatures,
Translation?
There’s not a whole lot of doubt in the tests.
Upshot- if you’re in very cold conditions where the ice is always below say 10F, no need for studs.
On warmer ice, esp ice near 30F or with water, studs vastly out perfom non studs on ice. That’s usually the issue anyway esp with all the salt used.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've gotten mine thru Tires By Web, which is Discount Tire. My daughter is fortunate to live in a bigger city so she has Discount Tire, but that's 3 hours away.
It is my understanding that Tiresbyweb is NOT affliated with Discount Tire it is a Tire Factory site. Discount Tires online presence is either Discounttire.com or discounttiredirect.com

Getting my Hakka R3 SUV mounted today at Discount Tire!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It is my understanding that Tiresbyweb is NOT affliated with Discount Tire it is a Tire Factory site. Discount Tires online presence is either Discounttire.com or discounttiredirect.com

Getting my Hakka R3 SUV mounted today at Discount Tire!
I'll concede to your greater wisdom on this one.

In any case, if a local store doesn't carry them, they are available online. We've bought five sets of Hakkas through them.

Last edited:
TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you spot the Hakkapelita tracks vs. the all-season tracks?

IMG_20200220_074812.jpg
IMG_20200220_074826.jpg

IMG_20200220_075037.jpg

I've had a bunch of nasty I-70 trips this season and couldn't be happier with the tires. Heavy traffic at 50 mph on icy and snow-packed roads with a bunch of idiots is relatively stress-free with these tires.

I don't know how folks do it without great snow tires. I guess they don't know what they don't know.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
One thing I read is modern snow tires seek to retain snow within the tread for better snow friction. I guess snow on snow equals better snow traction. You don’t really see wide ipen lugs anymore on snow tires for cars.

TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ I've read the same thing. Maybe the more open tread on the Hakka 9 is possible because of the studs? The studless Hakka R3 doesn't have as wide open lugs as the studded Hakka 9. The studs could make up for the need for more surface area for sipes. It would be interesting to ask a Noikan engineer.

In any case, the studded Hakka 9's work extraordinarily well. They are noticeably better on ice than the studded Hakka 7's on my old truck, and those still work great. It's not a fair comparison, as the Hakka 7's are five years old and have maybe a bit more than half the tread life left, and they are on a different vehicle type (truck vs. SUV), but it is noticeable. They old studded Hakka 7's are still much better than newer Michelin X-ices we also have.

Here's the studded Hakka 9 and the studless Hakka R3:

noksf9_ang_xl.jpg

noksr0_ang_xl.jpg

And the studded Hakka 7:
nokian-hakkapeliitta-7-main.jpg

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
The R3 is an all weather tire?
The Haaka 9’s are available without studs. Presumably same design.

If you want to compare directly, get a set of Nokian Nordman tires. They’re old Hakka molds. I think the current Nordmans are Haaka 7.

James

Out There
Instructor
^ Right. It’s been a few months since being in the Nokian dealer.
Well the stud theory makes sense then. The R3 has 3 sipes per outer block and the blocks are bigger.
Wondering if the Haaka 9’s are better in slush because of more space between blocks.

It really is odd that retaining snow in the tire is good. R3 below, picture from Nokian.

C71D7025-8246-4E89-A5AC-57AE25FCABDB.jpeg

nokian-hakkapeliitta-7-main-jpg.94414

Haaka 7 ^

v Current Nordman 7 available with or w/o studs.
06643B7B-73C8-4878-A9BA-F9C160F7DF79.jpeg

74DD4419-7231-4289-A060-13F756B2B669.png

Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hah, didnt know you could get them in the US

Where I live everyone runs them in winter.

I have R3's on my tesla model 3 performance
my evo has 8s with dubs.

9s is just an evolution, and better on noise etc.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
One of our company vehicles is running the Nordman 7. Which is why I have to ask does the studded 9 have better dry and wet pavement traction than the Nordman 7 (apparently the old Hakka 7 design). I hope it does; I'm forever forgetting that I can't just floor the little Kia Soul with the Nordman 7s on it when the pavement is good to go (I'm spoiled rotten by my Mazda 3's traction control and Hakka R2s).

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Dry asfalt, and wet asfalt is where the studded nokians, and the R3 (and older R2 etc) fall short. They are very soft and not good at it at all, newer generations are better.

But all tires can be safe on wet and dry asfalt, its ice/snow thats dangerous.

But you dont go 120mph+ on wet asfalt with them, brake length is a lot. Better at 120mph on snow

We ice race, and snow race a lot on fields with theese tires, a lot of the places refuse that you use ice racing tires (10mm studs) so then we use the hakkas with dubs

Sponsor