• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Studded Nokian Hakkapelitta 8 vs Hakkapelitta 9?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone have experience with the studded Hakka 9 vs. the studded Hakka 8?

I've got studded Hakka 7's on my Tundra and love them. I need some tires for my new to me Sequoia and trying to decide if I should spend extra for the newer model Hakka 9's or get the cheaper older Hakka 8's. My instinct is to bite the bullet and get the latest technology, but the price difference is pretty substantial (from Discount Tire):

Hakka-8-Shopping_Cart___Discount_Tire.jpg

Hakka-9-Shopping_Cart___Discount_Tire.jpg

I figure if anyone has experience between these versions of the Nokian Hakkapelitta they are probably on PugSki. :D

Happy to hear any thoughts in general about spending up for the latest version of tires as well.

Last edited:

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have three seasons on the 8s but no experience on the new 9s. Unless you can't afford it, FWIW I agree with spending the extra $250 for the 9s. Nokian is a no BS company and if they say the 9s are better I believe them.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have the 8's on the Ascent but without the studs. Great tire. Its not amazing on deep snow but on packed snow and ice the braking is just awesome. They are still making the 8's for sure.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Go for the 8's if they are not old. My daughter has the 9's and there was some weird wear around the studs when she first got them. They actually went back to Nokian about it. I have the 8's and they never had that wear. I know I posted pics on the site once, I'll look for them.

Found it

My daughter has that tire. Very happy with it EXCEPT it has odd cups around the studs. She was concerned enough to contact the tire place and they went back to Nokian. Nokian said that this would wear away. But I've certainly never had this (on my third or fourth set of Hakka's.) And it's too soon to tell if this is going to mean anything. View attachment 54012 View attachment 54013

This was at just over 1000 miles.

I think it did wear away, and she's happy but that wear is still odd.

Last edited:
TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are they still making the 8s?
Older tires with older rubber have less grip. Quite possibly the 8s are older too.
Yes, they are still making new 8's. They even make new 7's (just for passenger cars) rebranded from Hakkapelitta to Nordsmen.

Passenger_car_studded_tires___Nokian_Tires.jpg

https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/passenger-car/studded-tires/

Interesting strategy. I guess they are so far ahead that their older tires are still very competitive if not superior to the studded tire competition. Might as well keep selling them at a lower price with the sunk cost in development and manufacturing.

Interesting business decision, as there must be a ton of canalization keeping the new tires from getting to scale. Maybe that's a good thing, though. I wish auto manufactures kept old models around while sorting out the new ones for a year or two.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
We have both the 8’s & 9’s currently. I actually prefer the 8’s in the snow, but I think the 9’s bite better on ice (no weird wear like sibhusky mentioned). Not sure that really helps you though.

TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought the Studded Hakka 9's a Discount Tire yesterday.

In addition to having the latest technology, the sales guy mentioned that if I need to replace a tire down the road I'll want the most recent version as they will be around longer.

He thought that they were just closing out the old stock Hakka 8's. There were only four sets of Hakka 8's remaining in front range stores he could pull stock from. He gave me $20 off per tire on the Hakka 9's he had in stock. I confirmed they were recently manufactured (3319).

I didn't bolt them on yet. I wanted to try out the take-off wheels and tires I got of an '18 Tundra first. I've got snow tires on two other vehicles, including Hakka 7's on my old truck that I need to sell at some point to recoup some of my wheel and tire expenses!

New Hakka's 9's on the factory 20" wheels fitting easily in the huge back of the Sequoia:

IMG_20191112_113717.jpg

And my new to me 18" TRD wheels with Michelin A/T-2 tires that Discount put TPMS sensors in and mounted up:

IMG_20191112_113221.jpg

I'll get the Hakka's bolted on before the first family ski trip when more terrain opens. I'm loving the improvement in the ride quality with the Michelins over the worn-out Wrangler AT's that came with the vehicle. Not really a fair comparison as they were worn down to where they were incredibly noisy from the large side blocks. The truck rides and sounds like new now.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
If they are anything like the studded Hakkas on my pickup you are going to love them.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I bought the Studded Hakka 9's a Discount Tire yesterday.

In addition to having the latest technology, the sales guy mentioned that if I need to replace a tire down the road I'll want the most recent version as they will be around longer.

He thought that they were just closing out the old stock Hakka 8's. There were only four sets of Hakka 8's remaining in front range stores he could pull stock from. He gave me $20 off per tire on the Hakka 9's he had in stock. I confirmed they were recently manufactured (3319).

I didn't bolt them on yet. I wanted to try out the take-off wheels and tires I got of an '18 Tundra first. I've got snow tires on two other vehicles, including Hakka 7's on my old truck that I need to sell at some point to recoup some of my wheel and tire expenses!

New Hakka's 9's on the factory 20" wheels fitting easily in the huge back of the Sequoia:

View attachment 84465

And my new to me 18" TRD wheels with Michelin A/T-2 tires that Discount put TPMS sensors in and mounted up:

View attachment 84464

I'll get the Hakka's bolted on before the first family ski trip when more terrain opens. I'm loving the improvement in the ride quality with the Michelins over the worn-out Wrangler AT's that came with the vehicle. Not really a fair comparison as they were worn down to where they were incredibly noisy from the large side blocks. The truck rides and sounds like new now.

Now all we need is some snow here in Colorado!

Those tires look awesome!

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Does anyone have experience with the studded Hakka 9 vs. the studded Hakka 8?

I've got studded Hakka 7's on my Tundra and love them. I need some tires for my new to me Sequoia and trying to decide if I should spend extra for the newer model Hakka 9's or get the cheaper older Hakka 8's. My instinct is to bite the bullet and get the latest technology, but the price difference is pretty substantial (from Discount Tire):

View attachment 84105
View attachment 84106

I figure if anyone has experience between these versions of the Nokian Hakkapelitta they are probably on PugSki. :D

Happy to hear any thoughts in general about spending up for the latest version of tires as well.
You lucky sucka! I am looking at Hakka 9 SUV for my '13 ML63 AMG...295/35/R21 . They are $461.00 just for the tire. With road hazard and tax, mounted ........a whopping $2400+

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
You lucky sucka! I am looking at Hakka 9 SUV for my '13 ML63 AMG...295/35/R21 . They are $461.00 just for the tire. With road hazard and tax, mounted ........a whopping $2400+
Update, Discount Tire had a Black Friday deal and Hakka's R3 SUV were included. Got 4 295/35/21's for $2,329.00 out the door including Tax and Road Hazard Warranties. Got 15% Rebates coming should I should get $317.70 back for a grand total of $2,011.30................The good news, I found a guy about a mile from my house who sold me a full set of M-B 21" Stars for $500 for the set. They are normally $800 per wheel! So I got $5,600 worth of Wheels and Tires for $2,511.00 on the car!
PERF08284_1__53944.1459975489.800.800.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Does anyone use the 8's or the 9' without the studs? Any review of them without the studs would be appreciated.

James

Out There
Instructor
Does anyone use the 8's or the 9' without the studs? Any review of them without the studs would be appreciated.
Afaik, they only come studded. (Was just in a Nokian dealer and asked) The Haakka R3 is unstudded. The Nordman comes studded or not. (Studded at factory) I believe the current Nordman is the old Haakka 7 tire.
Giga-Tire was selling Haaka8's for like $83/tire 235/55/17 and 16's size in October. Never looked at larger. They didn't have the date code available, but I think they were guaranteed to be <3 yrs old.

Interesting review:
IMG_6812.jpg

The Saskatchewan Studded Tire Club has links to the Norwegian tire test. Hakka 9's are very good in wet braking.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Afaik, they only come studded. (Was just in a Nokian dealer and asked) The Haakka R3 is unstudded. The Nordman comes studded or not. (Studded at factory) I believe the current Nordman is the old Haakka 7 tire.
Giga-Tire was selling Haaka8's for like $83/tire 235/55/17 and 16's size in October. Never looked at larger. They didn't have the date code available, but I think they were guaranteed to be <3 yrs old.

Interesting review:
View attachment 86608

The Saskatchewan Studded Tire Club has links to the Norwegian tire test. Hakka 9's are very good in wet braking.

Thanks

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm not sure how applicable a quote from a rally team about stud retention during wheelspin is to everyday street driving. Not that I don't spin at all, but I'm pretty sure their definition of "a little wheelspin" would be very different than mine.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Yes, I have the 8's

They are awesome on ice and hard pack. On deeper snow the Blizzacks are a bit better but the Hakka 8's are just quieter much more refined

Sponsor