• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stranahan's Tour

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Greg and I were in Denver yesterday for a 'service campaign' on my Tacoma (they replaced my spare tire carrier so my spare tire won't fall off), a visit with Greg's friend doing a rehab of an old bungalow, a trip to West Marine, and a open house at DU. We managed to squeeze in a visit to Stranahan's on Kalamath in Denver. This is their only location and they distill their own liquor which is to say they don't buy clear liquor and then age it.

20161003_145351_West Byers Place.jpg
We got there a bit before the next tour so we utilized our two for one coupon in the bar.

20161003_150414_South Kalamath Street.jpg Katie was our guide and did a great job of explaining the process.

20161003_151043.jpg
The mash tun, boil kettle and first three fermenters were left over from the previous owner, a brewery.

20161003_151116_South Kalamath Street.jpg
The stills used for the first distillation.

20161003_151554_South Kalamath Street.jpg
The stills for the second.

20161003_152011_South Santa Fe Drive.jpg
In the barrel room (I can't remember exactly what she called it, but it wasn't the barrel room).

20161003_154656_South Kalamath Street.jpg
A barrel with plexiglass ends to demonstrate the loss of the angel's share (what evaporates) and the color of the liquor in the barrel. The light behind the barrel was white.

20161003_154808_South Kalamath Street.jpg
Enjoying our samples in the barrel room.

20161003_160008_South Kalamath Street.jpg
Katie discussing the various whiskeys made at Stranahan's.

20161003_162220_West Byers Place.jpg
Out front is this old Dodge with (presumably) empty and screwed down barrels. Barrels sell for $120 when they have some left over.

All in all it was a fun time. There were a bunch of other folks on the tour from around the country. For $10 you get the hour tour, a two for one coupon good in the bar, 10% off coupon good in the store (except for whiskey), a taste of Original and Double Peak and you get to keep your tasting glass.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
:rocks: Yes, please!

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
For 5 points and control of the board: This is called single malt whiskey. Why can't it be called Scotch?

For a bonus 10 points: Why isn't Stranahan's called Bourbon?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For 5 points and control of the board: This is called single malt whiskey. Why can't it be called Scotch?

For a bonus 10 points: Why isn't Stranahan's called Bourbon?
1) Not made in Scotland?
2) Made with less than 51% corn?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stranahans has just started showing up in the liquor stores in Ontario. I have had to sample several bottles to make sure I like it. I do. Tin Cup is another Colorado whisky that has just started selling here. Also very good.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Stranahans has just started showing up in the liquor stores in Ontario. I have had to sample several bottles to make sure I like it. I do. Tin Cup is another Colorado whisky that has just started selling here. Also very good.

Tin Cup was started by the same guy who started Stranahan's. While most of Stranahan's is bottled by hand with a 23K person waiting list in the lottery for the bottling parties, Tin Cup is bottled at Stranahan's location. Only a couple times a month is Stranahan's bottled by machine.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now that you mention it , there are some similarities in the taste. I will definitely have to do much more intensive research, and report back.

A bottling party sounds like too much fun. From now on I will be sure to try and guess which ones are bottled by machine, and which ones by hand!

Sponsor

Staff online