• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stowe, 1978

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Those are great, but I've seen 'em before. I like the first one because I know Ivan and Chuck, taught both of their kids in Stowebusters.

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
I remember lots of boilerplate at Stowe in the late 70's.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
How about the downhill race run in the first one? Not sure what trail that is, but no netting at all and spectators all along the trail. It looks pretty insane by today's standard.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Open the truck on the big stinking Lincoln and toss in all the skis, equipment, beer and there was still room to fit in a body or two.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
What's with all these videos depicting soft fluffy conditions? Quick! It's actually nice out! Grab the video camera!

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the memories!! My dad would take me skiing to Stowe many times in the late 60's and through the 70's. It was a learning experience in many ways.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
When did men ever wear ties in Vermont. I'm calling BS on that.

Also, I saw a couple of those brown with orange and yellow stripe jackets at A Basin earlier this year. Is that coming back? Can neon be far behind?

dm

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Barry Corbet is in the credits of that second one. Corbet's Couloir is the least interesting thing about him.

dm

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
When did men ever wear ties in Vermont. I'm calling BS on that.

Also, I saw a couple of those brown with orange and yellow stripe jackets at A Basin earlier this year. Is that coming back? Can neon be far behind?

dm

The guy "serving" the lettuce with the 8 inch wide tie def makes the highlight reel.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Love seeing Stowe as it was when I was young. A group of friends made an annual 4 day trip to Stowe, the memories are priceless. Some of the coldest days of my life were spent riding the old single chairs with wool blankets wrapped around to temper the cold. Matterhorn at day's end was the apre of choice. Thanks for sharing!

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
Central Coast, Ca. - Mammoth main squeeze! LOL!
LOL! The Shed... back in the late 60's early 70's was always crowded; but we were always hungry...
as for running DH, there was never 'netting' on any courses back then, an occasional 'gate' (bamboo pole) to direct racers and you were grateful/lucky when the course wasn't through moguls or water bars which weren't filled in... course maintenance really didn;t exist much... spectators were like squirrlels...
I do remember one course at Elk in Pa, where, to get a long enough course, it down one mogul pitch, hung a hard turn onto a cattrack to another mogul pitch and then another hard turn onto another cattrack which took you back to the 1st pitch. Thing was, if you didn;t keep up your speed through that last mogul pitch you then hit the flat run-out and barely made it to the finish (or so it felt...)
An off-course trip into the woods was not a rare occurrence back in those days. I had the lucky experience back in the NY State DH at Gore. Life-Changing...
that film may have been '78, but that DH sequence had to be from early 70's, 72-73-ish.
The freestyle stuff was more mid 70's stuff, especially considering the short skis, outfits, 'staches and poms... LOL! very groovy! but not my thing...
squadra corse not Mk IVs, Banshees not Hanson or Scotts, M4 & rotomat FDs not spademans
it's all good - sweet memories 'Burns', Foley, DooJack, 'Da Guinea', Da Flash - vino courtesy of Vincenzo... sweet

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
I only made it to Stowe once. Think it was 1981. Had lunch with a customer on Friday in Ahstabula, Ohio and headed straight up to Stowe. I was supposed to meet a friend flying in from Cleveland but his flight was cancelled on People's Express. Drive up was pretty non eventful till I reached Rt 100 in VT and it was puking snow. I was driving a front wheel drive Olds Cutlass so I thought I was invincible. Decided I needed to get over to the Interstate (89?) to have better road conditions. Finally made it up to Stowe and it was late . Couldn't find the room I reserved. Finally I figured out it had to be at the top of a cork screw road going to the top of a hill. Swallowed hard and went up the road and Infound my accommodations. Never forget it , desk clerk when I told him I had survived some tough conditions responded you can't ski in a desert!

Went to my room and no heat. Boiler out. Slept in my ski jacket and pants! Super high winds during the night blew all the new snow all over. Anyway a memorable experience for sure. Looked down Goat and didn't want anything to do with it.
Need to go back before I croke! Can ski it on my Epic Pass. Ski Capital of the East (Period) .
I think that moniker is appropriate!

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier

Sweet vid Josh thanks for posing. Love the blanket on the lift and watching people ski the pow. No silly debate about which "quiver ski" to bring, or what ski is best for "3-D" snow....people just skied. And in this vid there was some shedding. Serious shredding on Kneisels as well.......just ripping the fall line on the front 4.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
not much tree skiing though....