• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stolen K2 Mindbender 108Ti 186cm--FOUND

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Any thought about a sting operation? A few well placed WTB posts in various forums? Long shot I know but it sounds like this was a financially motivated act not a “ I have to have a pair” type of thing. Dunno, sorry about the loss lot of shady folks out there.
I wouldn't personally be getting into a vigilante thing..I'm not gangsta homey..if the police want to try...go for it. I mean, if they're owned by K2..well..cost of doing business really.. Bad people suck but that's a rounding error for K2.. How many pairs do they give away each year? :huh:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They are all so long that it seems less like a "I want those skis" snatching thing and more like either an organized heist with someone with experience taking a QUANTITY of skis or some employee of some place thinking the skis were theirs and taking them along with fifty others. And, with the yellow, they are pretty showy. Are there any yellow skis out there that these don't stick out and call attention to themselves? So, someone who that doesn't worry. Either comfortable with stolen skis or convinced that they own them.
These are 2020 skis. I highly doubt that someone "accidentally" took them, thinking that they belong to them.
The thought is that they were taken out of the back of the truck.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I meant in the nature of inventory for a shop, not a casual skier's personal pair. But if they were in a truck, not leaning along with 100 other skis in a demo area, then that implies they should have known it wasn't their truck.

I'm thinking of "carried to the wrong truck" as a possibility now.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
or some employee of some place thinking the skis were theirs and taking them along with fifty others.
-
What I've been thinking as the better scenario, people being people, demo rep probably doesn't and won't know they are in the van until the next demo day at who knows where.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I meant in the nature of inventory for a shop, not a casual skier's personal pair. But if they were in a truck, not leaning along with 100 other skis in a demo area, then that implies they should have known it wasn't their truck.

I'm thinking of "carried to the wrong truck" as a possibility now.

Maybe in the future, but at this time, even shops that got those skis in early didn't get 4 pair in one size.
I'm normally the first to give people credit for goodness, but in situations like this, its pretty clear that it was deliberate theft.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
These are 2020 skis. I highly doubt that someone "accidentally" took them, thinking that they belong to them.
The thought is that they were taken out of the back of the truck.
In which case they knew what they were doing. Beefy'ish 108 freeride ski with the lattest buzz and aggressive ad campaign in 186cm will sell fast. Unless they are complete morons they've already used a solvent to remove the identifiable markings. I don't think anyone would bat an eyelash at them selling as Demo's on fleaBbay come spring summer or fall. Sorry.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I wouldn't personally be getting into a vigilante thing..I'm not gangsta homey..if the police want to try...go for it. I mean, if they're owned by K2..well..cost of doing business really.. Bad people suck but that's a rounding error for K2.. How many pairs do they give away each year? :huh:
The police often don't have the time to do the legwork for this sort of thing. My dad has done something like this before. But he only right way to do it is to hand it off to the police when its time to actually confront the criminal. I don't think there is any reason not to leave some bait around. But always hand off to the police after collecting as much info as possible.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
While they may technically be "K2's property and the cost of doing business", reps get fired for losing several thousand dollars book value worth of product. Hate to say something that might be construed the wrong way, but being in retail management for over ten years past life, the high level company directors and loss prevention never rule out inside job when something kike this happens. So, it really could be a matter of someone getting fired if these skis aren't recovered or at least the police have some solid leads that indicate it wasn't an inside job. F'n thieves.. This sucks to high hell, but that's probably how things might shake out if they get away with it.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Years ago at what was the last NSIA demo show, Rossi lost numerous pairs of the Strato that was just coming back. The system was that you had to be from a shop or media and present your ticket to the vendor. So Rossi ends up with the vendor tickets and no skis. They call the vendor and the vendor staff just say they didn't get the ticket back from Rossi. The whole system was a little too lax compared to a retail demo day at a resort.

Now the rep's call and mention that they are setting up a demo day for next years product. They want to know who you are etc. So first name basis now. And it's not part of a buying show. Also not at one of the bigger Quebec resorts.

Not that things can't still get lost. But this system seems to be working better for them.

My take, someone wanted these, just like those Rossi's years ago.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
These are NOT K2’s skis, they are the reps skis and he is financially responsible for them. The cost is doing business is core shots, gouged topskins and maybe a broken ski. 4 pairs of stolen skis is not the cost of doing business.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Not to make light of his problem, but I lock my Rictors up for lunch because I'm financially responsible for them. He didn't have his process locked down enough for someone whose pocket was getting picked.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
These are NOT K2’s skis, they are the reps skis and he is financially responsible for them. The cost is doing business is core shots, gouged topskins and maybe a broken ski. 4 pairs of stolen skis is not the cost of doing business.

I was mostly responding to the post below. If they're the rep's property then who are they financially responsible for them to? Whoever takes the loss will be looking at all possibilities of who they can blame.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was mostly responding to the post below. If they're the rep's property then who are they financially responsible for them to? Whoever takes the loss will be looking at all possibilities of who they can blame.
The rep takes the loss.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I would say this shouldn't spiral downward into a blame thing which I may be contributing to. We should focus on finding the skis. Sorry for the thread drift.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I would say this shouldn't spiral downward into a blame thing which I may be contributing to. We should focus on finding the skis. Sorry for the thread drift.

Agreed. Regardless of who eats the cost, it sucks for them in more ways than just the money lost. Did anyone post this to DCSki? I've seen it everywhere else I browse.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Those are unique skis that I would remember.
There can't be many pairs around.
I'm trying to figure out what I would do if I saw them in a lift line somewhere in the Sierras?
Ski thieving is pretty safe crime once the goods are fenced.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I am not sure they know. My guess is when they got back and did inventory because the the K2 guys were pretty adament in getting ID..when I usually can walk up get what I need without providing a card.

Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 5.12.51 PM.png

:eek:

So they were in the truck...

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Slightly off topic, but it annoys the hell out of me that while just about every ski resort in western Canada have lockable ski racks, yet in the USA almost no ski resorts offer this feature. The system requires a $20 rectangular lock about the size of a match box to be inserted and locked into the rack.

So whenever I ski in the US I carry a small cheap cable lock. A wire cutter could defeat the lock but no tool is required to steal the skis next to mine on the rack.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Slightly off topic, but it annoys the hell out of me that while just about every ski resort in western Canada have lockable ski racks, yet in the USA almost no ski resorts offer this feature. The system requires a $20 rectangular lock about the size of a match box to be inserted and locked into the rack.

So whenever I ski in the US I carry a small cheap cable lock. A wire cutter could defeat the lock but no tool is required to steal the skis next to mine on the rack.

Our local resorts offer a free ski check and lockable ski/snowboard racks. Still, many if not most just lean their skis somewhere unlocked and unattended.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
There's probably three people locking their skis at the summit here. One of them is me. The cable on mine is noticeably thicker than most of the pocket locks. There has been at least one attempt to cut a thinner cable lock I had. They didn't succeed, but the cable wouldn't retract after that, so I got a thicker one the next time.