• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
That run is most certainly on my radar, and I would consider it a high point of the Gathering to hit it with fellow Pugskiers. It would be most awesome to have some 'veterans' to tag along with.

I ski it. But I don't yet SKI it, if you know what I mean. I ski it very carefully and deliberately. And all of my bad habits that I've rid myself of on other terrain pop right back out again in The Big. LOL! Notice my wide arms, for example. Ursula calls them my "angel wings". Ha! That's not where I usually have my hands when I ski . . . .

So would you say it would be best to ski it with a light touch? Use 90-100mm skis underfoot rather than big powder boards?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That run is most certainly on my radar, and I would consider it a high point of the Gathering to hit it with fellow Pugskiers. It would be most awesome to have some 'veterans' to tag along with.

So would you say it would be best to ski it with a light touch? Use 90-100mm skis underfoot rather than big powder boards?
@Chris Geib and @Bob Barnes did it on 165 SL's. ;)

TS
Skisailor

Skisailor

Laziest Skier on the Mountain
Skier

I ski it on 80 or 85 mm skis. I'm on my 80 mm K2 LuvSicks in the above photos. I wouldn't want powder boards or anything over 90mm really. It rarely has a lot of powder in it. It's too steep to hold deep powder snow. The bigger concern is when it's extra firm you want to avoid the slide that would result from a fall.
Chop and ruts can also make it interesting. So Bob and Chris had it right. That's the easier way to go as far as choosing a ski.

But it can also be smooth and wonderful with a few inches on top.

It's like a box of chocolates. . . .

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Big Cooler sure isn't a powder run, It's a steep and narrow run that the patrol monitors for avalanche possibilities. The more people ski it the more it gets the chop and ruts that Skisailor mentions. I can understand why Gelb and Barnes would ski it on 165SL's cause ya gotta make them tight turns. Then somedays there's flat light to contend with. Ski it if you want to, but if you don't there's a whole lot of other places to thrill yourself (scare yourself silly) or just enjoy your skiing at Big Sky.

Andrew

Photographer
Skier
Are you able to do this alone?

If not, Is anyone looking for a partner for the meetup at Big Sky to do this run?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No worries, mate. Show up at the gathering and we'll figure it out. :beercheer:

Charlie Walker

Charlie
Skier
@Andrew I'm possibly going to be looking for a buddy to ski this with. Will depend on conditions and whether others think I'm up to it! I'm not sure exactly what dates I'm going to be in town, but it's most likely to be the 2nd half of the meet up week.

TS
Skisailor

Skisailor

Skier
Are you able to do this alone?

If not, Is anyone looking for a partner for the meetup at Big Sky to do this run?

Just to respond to your question - Patrol will not allow you to ski it alone. I'm sure you guys will figure out the buddy thing, but if no one is available when you want to go, I would still sign in at the top and let Patrol know you are looking for a partner. They will match people up. Also, you can always ask a patroller to go with you. If time allows, they will try to accommodate you.

Lastly, for anyone skiing it, DO take the opportunity when signing in to ask Patrol about conditions and how it's skiing. The real time info is always helpful.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
The Big is an iconic run at BigSky--but not really a great run, oddly enough. As mentioned above, the snow is often OK.

You can ski it on nearly anything you are comfortable on--I wouldn't rent skis over using my 100mm or whatever you ski on every other day.

Big Sky has some awesome experiences that are unlike most other mountains in the states--the Big is one. Other runs I'd look at real hard are the previously mentioned Snowfield and the runs off the Headwaters Hike area--either side, depending on snow and sun conditions.

If you get a storm, consider hiring a guide for the morning, as finding your way around off the Tram can be tricky, and they can help you find the best snow and lift lines.

TS
Skisailor

Skisailor

Skier
Yes there are restrooms by the bottom of Powder Seeker lift.

ejj's advice above is spot on. The snow is usually good somewhere at Big Sky and the trick is knowing where to find it.

Yeah. This is actually a really big deal at Big Sky because there are just so many different aspects and so much terrain variety. Learning how sun, shade, wind strength and direction, and temps affect different parts of the mountain and how things will change over the course of a ski day takes quite some time.

It's a big mountain and there's alot to learn about it.

Bottom line - advice from locals is usually worth seeking out.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The mountain will also teach you that a little base damage is sometimes the price of admission to the "goods."

:roflmao:

I'm a slow learner. I am pretty much constantly having to fix bases on my off-piste skis.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
[QUOTE="Doug Briggs, post: 271702, member: 24"I'm a slow learner. I am pretty much constantly having to fix bases on my off-piste skis.[/QUOTE]

In low snow years I go through a lot of P-tex candles and metal grip string.