• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wade, as you are also a lighter guy, did you get to ride the SR97 in 177 ?
Seems like a good length if it is indeed a bit softer.
Not sure if the SR97 has the beef the OP might be looking for, but even I doubt a "lightweight" Stockli won't be wimpy.
FYI Here is a link to Dawg's review of the SR97 vs FX95-HP , with some commentary on the SR95.
https://www.pugski.com/threads/2017-stockli-stormrider-97-vs-kastle-fx95hp.4117/

Last edited:

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
I didn't get to ski the SR 97.

For my parameters, I was looking for a bit more shape, and the 17m radius of the sr 95 filled that idea. As I said, spending so much time on th mx74 w/ the 15ish shape has me liking more shape this year... Key is getting that shape without getting a tail that hooks too much in bumps and steep off piste..

Cheers!
w

TS
SnowDuck

SnowDuck

Booting up
Skier
Hi Wade, So are you keeping the SR95 instead of the FX95 or in addition? Per your and Pug's comments as well as other input, it does seem that these two skis do have very different applications. FX for off-piste and narrow terrain, SR95 for excellent overall versatility but higher speed limit on open terrain. Perhaps, similar to the general handling characteristics of the Motive95 but with more top end and adding the premium feel and stability? Thank you.

BTW, will happily ski the Motive95 until a go-to replacement is found -- so, for those who love this ski, no knock, it is a reliable, fun, do-all stick.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Hi Snowduck,
early this season, I sold my fx95hp, as I was going to get a fx95 non HP (I'm 5 11, 160lbs, so was thinking softer). Then, this year happened, and I just skied my mx74 and bonded again w/ skinny a full contact ski with lots of shape and energy.

I decided I wanted a 95 with a bit more shape and closer to the feel of my skinny ski, so I bought the SR 95. I was lukewarm, but am starting to really like it...

Cheers,
W

TS
SnowDuck

SnowDuck

Booting up
Skier
Wade, Thank you for the information. If/when you have a minute can you tell me if/how the SR95 preformed on our previous roughed-up hard-pack -- speed limit perceptions appreciated. Also assume you will be on it during this storm cycle. Any insights on its performance in-the-snow, especially this deep snow. Have found a good year end value on the fx95hp; good option to try the premium at a more somewaht lower entry price but holding off for now. Also, going up to Mt. Bachelor in a couple of weeks so may demo the SR95 there if available. In the meantime enjoy these -- finally -- days and nights of snowfall!

Cheers

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Wade, Thank you for the information. If/when you have a minute can you tell me if/how the SR95 preformed on our previous roughed-up hard-pack -- speed limit perceptions appreciated. Also assume you will be on it during this storm cycle. Any insights on its performance in-the-snow, especially this deep snow. Have found a good year end value on the fx95hp; good option to try the premium at a more somewaht lower entry price but holding off for now. Also, going up to Mt. Bachelor in a couple of weeks so may demo the SR95 there if available. In the meantime enjoy these -- finally -- days and nights of snowfall!

Cheers

I am really bonding w/ the SR 95, after a lukewarm start. I'm going back to the contrast to my mx 74 as a main part of the reason I didn't bond early, and also the monster 88, which is also narrower and minimal rise. Also, all hard snow... back to back, I was underwhelmed on the scratchy stuff, but after a couple hours, I adjusted and the SR behaves quite well in hard snow. fun in steep bumps, narrow spots and edge hold is good.
I've mentioned that I had to make an adjustment, almost the opposite of the FX 95. with the fx, it liked me to ski it more arch to back of arch, while the stormrider needs to be driven more from the forefoot to get the tip to work well and the tail doesn't need any extra help, it has a solid feel and doesn't break away on me like some new school skis. i've mentioned the dual personality, I thought it was mainly the long early rise tip w/ the more abrupt tail, but I have discovered a big part of that personality is simply sidecut. It has a mellow tip in at 131 w/ the early rise (the monster 88 is 133 in comparison, so much more forebody shape), and it has a 120mm tail (while the monster is 114). So short radius type shape, but much of it in the tail...

Anyway, I love it. Deep snow the last couple days, sweet. I thought it might be too short for over a foot or so, but was perfect today in about 20 in plus.

That said, I am a ski psycho, and when I didn't love it initially, I decided to go to try something else as well... talk about premium... ! I have a ski i named the Holiday 93 coming in a couple weeks. Custom Wagner to my specifications, whew. (Part of that is still my thought that at 160lb, 49yr old who skis pretty slowly, most skis are designed to be much stiffer then I need, but that's another topic)
I will keep the SR and ski them back to back in the spring, and probably early next year, and if I love the holiday 93, I'll sell the SR then. It should hold value as it is a 2019 ski as well.

Winter in Tahoe! Whoo hoo!

Cheers!
W

Juanito

Putting on skis
Skier
That said, I am a ski psycho, and when I didn't love it initially, I decided to go to try something else as well... talk about premium... ! I have a ski i named the Holiday 93 coming in a couple weeks. Custom Wagner to my specifications, whew. (Part of that is still my thought that at 160lb, 49yr old who skis pretty slowly, most skis are designed to be much stiffer then I need, but that's another topic)
I will keep the SR and ski them back to back in the spring, and probably early next year, and if I love the holiday 93, I'll sell the SR then. It should hold value as it is a 2019 ski as well.

I will be interested in hearing how you like your custom Wagner Holiday 93. My adult daughter demo'd a pair of "stock" Wagner 94 in 163 last year. They were 135-94-114 and it was love after the first two turns. She said "the more you give it the more it gives back."

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
yep, I'll do a good review on wagner for pugski once I get to know it.
Will be interesting for this site, as there is a large group of the pugski demographic in this product. Her "stock" shape is dang close to mine. I am building 132 93 117, just under 18m radius in a 177, minimal early rise (5cm). so, less shape in shovel then what your daughter skied, more in tail, but compared to SR 95, more shape in shovel and less in tail. I like a shapely ski, but don't like too big a tip, as they tend to get to active in big bumps, or too big a tail, as they can get hooky off piste (but for some reason, I don't have the issue on the SR 95 at the moment)
Cheers!
W

ProLeisure

We are all snow leopards.
Skier
I didn't get to ski the SR 97.

For my parameters, I was looking for a bit more shape, and the 17m radius of the sr 95 filled that idea. As I said, spending so much time on th mx74 w/ the 15ish shape has me liking more shape this year... Key is getting that shape without getting a tail that hooks too much in bumps and steep off piste..
w

Because of the conditions in Tahoe this year I’ve really enjoyed the attributes of a narrower wasted ski as well. I really bonded with my Laser AXs (78 underfoot), and I feel skiing them a lot this winter improved my skiing. They do well in the bumps and pretty well in steep off-piste, but they do hook up occasionally.

I have a pair of last year’s SR 95s. (Carbon tip. 183cm) They’re a fantastic ski, love ‘em, but skiing the Lasers and enjoying the narrower waste got me wondering what the Stormrider 88 might be like. Well, Start Haus had a 50% off sale over President’s Week and I was able to put an end to my wondering by picking up a pair (177cm). I’ve only been on them 4 times, but I really like how they ski. The SR 88s have a bigger radius than this year’s SR 95s (19m vs 17m), but they have the same radius as my pair of last year’s SR 95s (19m), and many, if not all the same characteristics of my SR 95s. The SR 88s are just quicker edge to edge. So far, I’ve really enjoyed them.

Hi Snowduck,
early this season, I sold my fx95hp, as I was going to get a fx95 non HP (I'm 5 11, 160lbs, so was thinking softer). Then, this year happened, and I just skied my mx74 and bonded again w/ skinny a full contact ski with lots of shape and energy.

I decided I wanted a 95 with a bit more shape and closer to the feel of my skinny ski, so I bought the SR 95. I was lukewarm, but am starting to really like it...
W

For what you were looking for, I think selecting the SR 95 was a good choice. For reference, I’m 5’10”, 175lbs, and used to have a pair of FX 94s (174cm) and I currently have a pair of last year’s FX 95s non-HP (181cm). I enjoy the SR 95 more.

TS
SnowDuck

SnowDuck

Booting up
Skier
Thank you! Yes, per all the reviews on this forum and your recommendation, I think the SR95 will be the best step up from the Motive95. Hope to get on a pair in a couple of weeks.
QUACK

Idahosnow

Putting on skis
Skier
I am not the most technical skier, but I do have time on the SR95 and the FX95hp. My SR 95s are from a few years back (black and green) 173 length. They are very smooth on and off the groomers. They are a very comfortable ski ad do all that I ask of them. I tried the new SR95 last weekend at a demo and did not like them. Not sure if it was a tune issue, but they did not hold an edge well and felt very vague to me while my SR95s are very responsive. I have jumped on the Kastle FX95hp at two different demos and both times was thrilled with them. They just feel right. They feel lighter on my feet than the SR. As I said, I am not a great skier but felt in complete control both on and off the groomers. If I could do an even swap on the Fx95hp, I probably would. I'd have to spend a whole day A B testing to know for sure though. The only knock on the FX95HP was the strange sound they make at times. Tin Canny. I didn't notice it this year, but last's years demo it was very noticeable. Not sure if this year's ski is different or if the conditions were different.

me: 5'8" about 170#, higher intermediate skier I think. If on groomers,I like a lot of speed. Other skis I have tried and liked.........Nordica enforcer, Mantra M5, Kendo, Nordica Navigator 85

Sponsor

Staff online