• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
I was wondering about Stockli skis. They look very nice, but why are they so expensive? Is there something unique about the way they are made that justifies the cost?

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
I can't vouch for how they're built - but I can vouch for the outcome.

Apparently harvesting wood from Yggdrasil for the core makes a difference.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
http://www.stoeckli.ch/inten/ski/manufacturing

More hand work. Nothing is cheap in Switzerland.

I just bought a pair of Laser AX. Amazing skis. They do everything better more easily. I let 2 friends ski them. I thought I’d have to pry them from their cold dead fingers to get them back. The Laser AX might be the best ski of their category.

The Renoun Z-90s I tried have a long truck trip in their near future.

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
ski one..... or 2...... Superb construction, superb feel. superb performance YMMV, not all will like the super damp feel of a stockli.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I would be very surpised if their production costs are very much more than other manufacturers. But costs that are just a little more means they can't go for lowest price, so they are driven to a higher price/lower volume approach.

Of course you need a quality product (or marketing luck) to make the high-end strategy work.

That said, I've been toying with the idea of buying a pair of AX for way more than I have ever spent on a pair of skis. But everyone who discounts even a little is sold out. Full list price goes beyond ridiculous to redonculus.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When in doubt, read reviews by your trusted testers.
2018 Stöckli

A few clips:
@FairToMiddlin : The SR 83 is sublime. Few skis combine strength and maneuverability with smoothness as well as this lil’ guy. Yes, you pay a good bit for it, but in return you get a 17.2m ski that tightens up the radius eagerly, yet with a silky feel. It and the SR 88 seem to have this magic ability to give you as much performance as you need with the minimum of effort. I have been enjoying this phenomenon for four years now at SIA, and any time during the test that I feel glum, or unattractive, or not well-liked by my friends, I know I can get on a Stormrider and immediately feel confident, handsome, and popular. I’m being silly, but only a little bit.

@UGASkiDawg : I loved the previous version of this ski in the 183, so I was excited to get out on the new version. I definitely would have preferred the 183 but all they had was the 175. Still, this thing is money. Like all Stöcklis I have been on, it just executes what is asked of it with no fuss. An all-mountain scalpel that is user friendly without any loss of power or precision, the SR95 has that supple feel that connects you to the mountain. Every time I get on it, I start rethinking my decision to buy the Kästle FX95HP; this is the only ski to ever come close to doing that. I could have this ski as the holy grail of the one-ski quiver and be perfectly happy in all conditions.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
ski one..... or 2...... Superb construction, superb feel. superb performance YMMV, not all will like the super damp feel of a stockli.
Really?
Kind of reminds me of that stupid commercial.
You know, “for those who like getting their arms caught in vending machines, being hit by linebackers” etc.
What’s not to like?
I just couldn’t afford to DEMO a pair, much less BUY one.
The closest I get is to sniff the P-Tex on yours:(

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
or

Ron: The new AX represents the new class of narrow all-mountain skis. It has a very unique build with softish, slightly rockered tips but is quite stiff torsionally. Moving down the ski, it is fairly stiff underfoot with thick sidewalls and ample camber. It features a more traditional tail (slightly rounded but flat-ended) that is slightly turned up with no rocker. It does what no other ski in this class can do. The tip becomes very stable when tipped on edge and pulls you into a turn like a true carving ski. The AX is eerily stable and quiet at speed, too. Taking it into softer snow like bumps and piled-up groomers, its softer tips absorb and rise up just enough. It just slices through push piles like the proverbial hot knife through butter. It can stand up to skis much wider with more rocker. I did find that the bindings may need to be moved forward just a touch. Overall this ski is fantastic! (I own it now.)
  • Who is it for? Advanced intermediates and up who like the feel of a narrower ski for all-mountain conditions including boilerplate carving up to a few inches of fresh.
  • Who is it not for? You would be surprised just how versatile this ski is! Those with aversions to four-digit prices just need to wait for a used pair -- but it will be worth the wait.
  • Insider tip: Demo first to be sure of the mount point; the 175 skis like a 178.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
looking on the video you linked no more hand work will be in any other, mass production company

for one I would be very interested to see more detail explanation. Because in their own marketing video above I couldn't see any
I'm sure that these marketing videos don't show a variety of detail that some of us wish we could see.

Having skied and reviewed the Stöckli Motion 85 and the MadRussian MR87....there is a difference.
In a cage match comparison I might conclude
Why choose the Stöckli Motion 85? Because you're looking for a premium ski with a smooth feel from first turn to last chair
Why choose the Mad Russian MR87? Because you're looking for a ski that will hold up to the most abusive skier and plow through crud with the grace of a D-9 Caterpillar

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
or

Ron: The new AX represents the new class of narrow all-mountain skis. It has a very unique build with softish, slightly rockered tips but is quite stiff torsionally. Moving down the ski, it is fairly stiff underfoot with thick sidewalls and ample camber. It features a more traditional tail (slightly rounded but flat-ended) that is slightly turned up with no rocker. It does what no other ski in this class can do. The tip becomes very stable when tipped on edge and pulls you into a turn like a true carving ski. The AX is eerily stable and quiet at speed, too. Taking it into softer snow like bumps and piled-up groomers, its softer tips absorb and rise up just enough. It just slices through push piles like the proverbial hot knife through butter. It can stand up to skis much wider with more rocker. I did find that the bindings may need to be moved forward just a touch. Overall this ski is fantastic! (I own it now.)
  • Who is it for? Advanced intermediates and up who like the feel of a narrower ski for all-mountain conditions including boilerplate carving up to a few inches of fresh.
  • Who is it not for? You would be surprised just how versatile this ski is! Those with aversions to four-digit prices just need to wait for a used pair -- but it will be worth the wait.
  • Insider tip: Demo first to be sure of the mount point; the 175 skis like a 178.
HAHA, I almost copied yours too, but then I realized I was copying almost half the review thread.
Nice review!

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
or

Spot on Ron agree with all you said. I been threw many brands of skis. Stockli and me just fit well. With my bad back and the need for speed the smoothness is huge plus. Not even to mention the flex on their skis just feel right, but I am a big boy 5'10" 210 lb. I just wish they weren't so dam much $$$$, but what momma don't know won't hurt her. If you never been on a pair you'll never understand

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Who is it for? Advanced intermediates and up who like the feel of a narrower ski for all-mountain conditions including boilerplate carving up to a few inches of fresh.

+1 This description fits me. I took the plunge and bought untried unseen an unused languishing pair 165 from an Epic member last March. I thought I had over-purchased and was surprised to find the skis are easier (forgiving) than my Renoun Z90s 174. Lighter weight, yet stable, damp and nimble? How can this be true?!?

Now if I could just learn how to ski....

Love them. Yes, the build quality is just icing.....

TS
jo3st3

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've heard it's a 10 day process per ski and each layer they allow to fully cure. So I guess that's the reason... the way they manufacturer them. Does that make that much difference? I don't know enough about ski construction to really say.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
,10 day process is probably more marketing hype than reality. Yes, I'm sure that you can somehow add the process time up and come up with that number. They are hand built. All skis are hand built. So what's the difference and how do you justify the significantly higher price? I think of it more like two chefs making the same dish. One can go out and get a cheaper cut of meat or use fish that's been around a little too long vs. paying a premium for the best cut or the freshest fish possible. One buys frozen sauce from the restaurant supply guy, the other makes it from scratch and simmers it for hours, tasting as he goes to get it just right.. One opens a can of vegetables, vs. getting fresh from the garden organic veggies, and so on. One chef learned his trade on the grill at McDonalds. The other has an advanced degree from a famous Swiss cooking school. Both will make the same dish and both dishes are edible. One has you wishing you'd gone to another restaurant. The other one has you swooning over the most amazing meal you've ever had. The dinner tab is much higher for the better meal, and you can't wait to go back.

Is there that much difference? That is ultimately in the mind of the ski buyer. My guess is that most folks would say that they would absolutely make the same purchase if they had it to do over again. It's hard to pay a premium price for something and then admit that you've overpaid for a product that's not as great as you thought it would be. However, I'm just not hearing the faintest whisper of that. If a Stockli is 50% more expensive than another very good ski, does it ski 50% better? Probably not. But I don't think it's a 1:1 correlation. It may be worth paying 50% more for a ski that's noticeably better performing. 10% better? 20% better. I don't know. I do know that we get a finite number of ski days and anything we can do to make every ski day the best it can be is a good idea. I'd rather spend extra money on a great skiing ski than go to that killer restaurant on a regular basis. Ultimately, with the money I save on my restaurant tab and my doctor bills (those gourmet sauces are not good for you), I come out money ahead, I'm healthier, and I have a great time skiing

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
While I too am an AX shill ogwink and have repeatedly pulled them out first over the Z-90s, it's not necessarily because I think it's a "better"ski in the absolute sense - just better for the conditions I ski the most. I think it's misleading to try to do a head to head comparison; a 78 waist vs a 90?? Really??
Deep into last Spring when the late morning corn was thick and deep, I generally went with the Z-90s.

The obviously more representative comparison is the Z-77 vs the AX. I can speak on this only for 181s (AX) and 183s (Z-77) - I preferred the Z-77s, but that may have simply been the extra length of the AXs, which already ski long.

Last edited:

Sponsor