• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

aki009

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I managed to buy the Laser WRTs end of March after hearing raving reviews from people that had been able to test them. I am pretty experienced with Stöckli myself, having owned/owns Laser CX, AX, SX, GS FIS and SR 95.
The first run on the WRT's, and I was laughing loud midways down the slope. It just happened, couldn't stop it. Was when I switched from large to small turns, and the skis just plain switched from being a GS to a SL. Like turning a switch, unbelievable!

<snip>

Precision and versatility kind of sums them up. And loads of fun!

Mine have Vist V614 bindings with Speedlock 1915 plate.

I couldn't agree more. I was trying out different Stöcklis at their demo center until their lone pair of WRT-ST's became available. I was sold not even halfway down the hill. It's by far the most versatile groomed run ski I've ever attached my boots onto. I was lucky enough to score one pair after going door to door in town.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was looking for a ski for my wife and bought a pair of Lusti ski's from Premier ski, she has not skied them yet but they looked well made , I was tough to find a intermediate level ski with sandwich construction, metal and a wood core . they were good to deal with but they did come from Europe, took 3 weeks, I am also interested in their beer league ski.

Kurt

Ski 4 Life
Instructor
Nice review! Stockli WRT definitely has my attention. Just stopped by the Stockli shop and they didn't have them yet. I'd be interested in a comparison between the WRT and Atomic S9; cage match?

TS
Jeffc7

Jeffc7

Booting up
Skier
I managed to buy the Laser WRTs end of March after hearing raving reviews from people that had been able to test them. I am pretty experienced with Stöckli myself, having owned/owns Laser CX, AX, SX, GS FIS and SR 95.
The first run on the WRT's, and I was laughing loud midways down the slope. It just happened, couldn't stop it. Was when I switched from large to small turns, and the skis just plain switched from being a GS to a SL. Like turning a switch, unbelievable!
I have owned a lot of high-end skis in my time, these beats every one of them, hands down. The level of precision, high speed stability and agility is just above any other recreational ski I have ever tried. They are very close to pure racing skis, just much more forgiving and comfortable. I can ski them all day long. So far, I have had 14 days on them, just love them more and more.
The WRT's are truly two skis in one pair, actually close to four. They are the impossible fusion of SL FIS, GS, SC and SX. In one ski.
Three of my friends tried them, they are on Laser SX, Laser CX and Laser SC. We switched, so I got theirs, so we could compare back and forth. Between the SX and CX, the difference was very obvious. They feel a lot less precise, almost like they have dull edges. They didn't, not at all. Also, they don't have the versatility of the WRT.
The difference to the SC is smaller, which surprised me. I always liked the SC, but it was my third choice in the Laser range, after SX and AX. But in this comparison, we all agreed that the SC was in fact the closest to the WRT. It lacks a bit both of the precision and versatility/stability (WRT can go faster, larger arcs just like that), but in small/medium turns, they are quite close. WRT still more agile, more responsive and more fun in that discipline too.
My two friends with SX and CX immediately tried to get their own WRT's, but didn't succeed, as they are not on sale until October. Seems I was lucky to find a pair that I actually could purchase. Guess they sold a pair that should have been for demo. The guys will definitely get them for next season. :)
My friend with SC's, new this season, wouldn't switch quite yet. I understand him, as he likes short turns most. The difference isn't that big in that discipline.
I like to switch between going flat out in max speed, and doing short slalom turns on hard packed, steep hills. I have never found one pair of skis that can do that, until now. Amazing, and highly recommended if that is what you like.
I skied them today in increasing slush throughout the day, and was surprised of how long I could keep them on before switching to the AX's. And even in slush, my first thought after switching was how much more precise they were compared to AX.

Precision and versatility kind of sums them up. And loads of fun!

Mine have Vist V614 bindings with Speedlock 1915 plate.

View attachment 44103

Great write up. Looks like a WRT is in my future.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
http://www.stoeckli.ch/inten/ski/ski/fis-racing/laser-wrt-st

Google Translate gives us: "WRT - World Cup Racing Team: That's explaining everything. This ski combines the strengths of a slalom and giant slalom skis. Agility meets stability. The result is a shortturn giant slalom ski. In the package with the STO R-Speed plate and the R-16 binding the conditions are created to master demanding course settings and to win ski races."

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
http://www.stoeckli.ch/inten/ski/ski/fis-racing/laser-wrt-st

Google Translate gives us: "WRT - World Cup Racing Team: That's explaining everything. This ski combines the strengths of a slalom and giant slalom skis. Agility meets stability. The result is a shortturn giant slalom ski. In the package with the STO R-Speed plate and the R-16 binding the conditions are created to master demanding course settings and to win ski races."

Sounds like a one-ski race “quiver”?

SnowDevil

Skier
I used to ski Stoeckli (Laser GS, Stormrider XXL, and Laser Cross Pro) until I discovered RTC in Switzerland. If you like the idea of the WRT, check out the RTC Carve 68'er or Skicross 65'er. Personally, I think the shorter Carve 58'er is the perfect ski for high-performance skiing on the piste for a big guy. The 68'er is a monster of a ski.

http://rtc-ski.ch/carving/carve158/

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I used to ski Stoeckli (Laser GS, Stormrider XXL, and Laser Cross Pro) until I discovered RTC in Switzerland. If you like the idea of the WRT, check out the RTC Carve 68'er or Skicross 65'er. Personally, I think the shorter Carve 58'er is the perfect ski for high-performance skiing on the piste for a big guy. The 68'er is a monster of a ski.

http://rtc-ski.ch/carving/carve158/
Never heard of these, they look quite interesting.

SnowDevil

Skier
RTC is a rather small company handcrafting their skis all within the small city of Brig-Glis in Switzerland. They've been around for about 15 years. I discovered them on a visit to Zermatt. At first, I thought they looked too short, but if you use them as designed (carving on the piste), they are built so solidly that they are the perfect carving machines. In the special FIS Carving Cup (an exaggerated slalom no longer held), their skier won the world championship. Exoticskis.com had some videos on RTC's construction processes posted a while back. Try them if you get the chance. I ended up buying 5 pairs (168, 148, 138, 128 and the wider cross in 160cm)!!! The 128 is the most fun I've ever had on skis.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone else get some time on the WRT ?

Yesterday I rode the lift with someone strapped into a set. After skiing, I stopped at my local Stockli shop and saw that they had the WRT in their demo fleet. I'm planning on taking out a trio of Laser AX 175, SC 170, and WRT 172 for fun & frolic maybe next week.

pykie87

Booting up
Skier
RTC is a rather small company handcrafting their skis all within the small city of Brig-Glis in Switzerland. They've been around for about 15 years. I discovered them on a visit to Zermatt. At first, I thought they looked too short, but if you use them as designed (carving on the piste), they are built so solidly that they are the perfect carving machines. In the special FIS Carving Cup (an exaggerated slalom no longer held), their skier won the world championship. Exoticskis.com had some videos on RTC's construction processes posted a while back. Try them if you get the chance. I ended up buying 5 pairs (168, 148, 138, 128 and the wider cross in 160cm)!!! The 128 is the most fun I've ever had on skis.

128's, jesz. They'd certainly be interesting. But at $2k a set...

How tall etc are you?

When you say the "Carve 58'er is the perfect ski for high-performance skiing on the piste for a big guy.", how tall are you talking and can you go in depth a bit more about the ski?

I'm looking at a dedicated low waist SL style carving ski.

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I demo'd the WRT 172 a few days ago on a very hard snow day, along with the current Laser AX 175 and Atomic X9 175 ( their Laser SC 170 was already booked ), and I had along my recently acquired well-used Laser SX 170. My level of experience with true frontside skis is limited, so I have little to compare them too and my comments lack validity. That said, I felt that the WRT was incredible ! Unfortunately it is near $2,000 $Canuck bucks up here with binding.

As I was Googling for other reviews and comments I came across a review by Philippe Juneau. I always enjoy his reviews and this one is in French . I have no idea what he is saying but watch the video from the 2:25 - 3:00 mark and tell me he does not love this ski !

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A buddy of mine demo'ed them yesterday and I took one run on them (we have the same boot sole length). My first impression was lots of "pop" out of the turn. I'm going to give them a try for a day on Monday and will try to elaborate.

James

Out There
Instructor
I thought the wrt was a woman's ski?
Or is that the mrt? Which would make less sense.

John Baumer

Booting up
Skier
Just purchased the Laser WRT in 172. I am an equipment junky with a particular weakness for Stockli, I've had/have the Laser SL [non FIS], SC, GS [non FIS], SX [non FIS], AX and the Scale Delta. I was a bit surprised to find the WRT fairly available at reasonable prices so I had to try it.
The shape of this ski is very similar to my 170 Laser SLs [119/66/97] 14.5 TR vs 172 [119/66/100] 14.8 TR. I got two hours on good firm groom to familiarize myself with the WRT and then tested the SLs against the WRTs the next day in the same conditions. I can see why it has been said that the WRT is the FIS SL ski stretched 7cm. The grip on the WRT is truly viscous and the tails are LIVE! Skiing these aggressively with high edge angles, is like tickling the tail of a dragon.....how much before these bite back? How much can my legs take? Fortunately, I haven't found the dark side of these yet. The WRT seems to have manners on top of the ridiculous level of performance....time will tell, I have several days ahead with ideal hard pack to tempt fate. Wish me luck. The Laser SL has been one of my go to skis, as I am on small verticals. When I switched back and forth from the SLs/WRT, the SLs felt like the edges were a bit dull. I suppose that can be expected when one compares a FIS constructed ski with recreational ski.
As a disclaimer, I'm a very large skier......so YRMV.

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cool ! Keep us updated.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm confused; if the WRT is a cross between SL and GS, then what the hell is the SX?

I gather it is a non-FIS version of a skier cross ski, after the competition skis that turn so powerfully in the kind of varied, twisting and turning courses of that event. Hence, a powerful, stable turner capable of a wide range of turns at speed, but fitting that event, loosely: and thus wider (but more varied) turning than an SL and yet more dialed in to such stable power turns than a GS ski would be. Not a tame ski. Fun?

John Baumer

Booting up
Skier
Interesting question on the SL/GS/SX/WRT differences. As fate would have it, I had another perfect evening on nice hard pack to experiment. I have had the Laser SX for 1 year and it has become a big favorite of mine. The SX has such a big performance window, that I was able to get the ski in the 177 length for reasons of tighter turn radius. I don't overpower this ski in the least. I put Marker Piston Plates on them, perhaps this helps firm up the ski with my extreme size.
After spending time on the ultra responsive WRT, I was concerned that it would make other skis feel lacking. Not the case. I spent 4 hours on the SX, and they were magic. The SX is its own wildly entertaining ride. The Laser SX has its own distinct personality that is quite different than the Laser WRT. Some of this, I'm sure has to do with the SX having a 16.8 TR vs 14.8 on the WRT. It would be interesting to ski a shorter SX with a TR closer to the WRT for a better comparison. Two different skis, with two different experiences. That's one of the great things about skiing these days, the equipment options we have really help make it fun.

Sponsor

Staff online