• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Razorback

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I´ve been reading a lot about Stockli Laser on this forum, and in some thread someone wrote that the newer Laser SC is a whole other ski than the older ones. So i still have an extremely good memory of the SC from 2011 (pictured below) when it was 63mm underfoot, that was absolutely one of the best skis i have ever been on and i have since then kept an eyes open for a used pair, but they are very rare here in Sweden. After reading this im a little bit concerned that if i find a SC of a newer model it will be different ski than the one i remember, so in what way have the ski changed except for going up to 72mm underfoot and different top-sheets, and are there any other model that are more similar these days that i should consider instead?

Im looking for the on rail like carving machine i remember that where somewhat similar to my Völkl Racetiger SL´s but more medium arc and a little bit more flexible in different turn-shapes and super hold.

ski_stoeckli-laser-sc-2009_n4740-4541-0_l.jpg

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I suspect the new SC is a completely different ski from the old one you remember, but still meets your needs. Other skis that come to mind are the one of the narrower Head Supershapes and Fischer Curvs

TS
Razorback

Razorback

Skier
The Fischer WC SC is an alternative that is very easy to get for a low price here, the 165cm has a Radius of 13m and 122/68/103 mm dimensions, more or less identical to my Racetigers that have a radius of: 12.7m and 123/68/104 dimensions.

TS
Razorback

Razorback

Skier
I suspect the new SC is a completely different ski from the old one you remember, but still meets your needs. Other skis that come to mind are the one of the narrower Head Supershapes and Fischer Curvs
Head Supershapes is not one of my favorites, skied the iSpeed for a couple of seasons, but in the long run i thing they where to heavy. Fischer Curv looks more interesting but are also quite rare so far in the 2nd hand market.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I have the laser SC from three years back or so; I don’t think anything has changed since then. I don’t have experience with the older SC’s.

I find the SC to be a great carver, although it’s definitely a level diminished from my FIS slaloms.

They carve, turn size is easy to change, they hold on ice, and they’re workable in some lighter ungroomed terrain as well (decent in bumps, and you won’t die in a few inches of crud, but you’ll probably wish you were on something else).

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
Deacon Pro 74 173 ( pistonplate)
I have FIS RACETIGER SL and GS

The Deacon fit right in middle and are absolutely magnificent. I suspect that (like with the RaceTigers) the Marker WC plates are the engine responsible for a significant part of the Deacon Pro’s performance. Plus you get the same customization possibilities as with the RaceTigers. The 178 has a slightly larger turn radius vs the 173. I like the 16 radius of the 173, very easy to bend into short, quick turns.

Avail now on the Volkl website at mid season discount

James

Out There
Instructor
Could try these. Might work out a deal.
With a freight forwarder, shipping might not be that bad. I used Bongous several years ago to Belgium, but they've been bought out by fedex. Seems to be fedex cross border, but difficult to use.

TS
Razorback

Razorback

Skier
Could try these. Might work out a deal.
With a freight forwarder, shipping might not be that bad. I used Bongous several years ago to Belgium, but they've been bought out by fedex. Seems to be fedex cross border, but difficult to use.

I’m sorry but I don´t see how a 12.9m radius ski can be a more medium arc ski than a 12.7m ski, I understand that the Stockli SL FIS is somewhat another animal, but I’m not looking for a more extreme SL ski I’m looking for something in between SL and GS, in the 14-15m range

James

Out There
Instructor
I’m sorry but I don´t see how a 12.9m radius ski can be a more medium arc ski than a 12.7m ski, I understand that the Stockli SL FIS is somewhat another animal, but I’m not looking for a more extreme SL ski I’m looking for something in between SL and GS, in the 14-15m range
Ok. Now you say. I was going off this.
After reading this im a little bit concerned that if i find a SC of a newer model it will be different ski than the one i remember, so in what way have the ski changed except for going up to 72mm underfoot and different top-sheets, and are there any other model that are more similar these days that i should consider instead?

The WRT-ST combines both. But is also more demanding than the sc . I doubt you’d find one used. It’s listed as 14.8m/172, but is stiffer than the others.

The SC is currently 14.9m/170cm What’s wrong with that? It’s going to be different than a 63mm 10 yr old Stockli. Likely more versatile.

The sx is 15.4m/170cm and 2mm narrower.

You really should ask @LindseyB in the Stockli thread.

TS
Razorback

Razorback

Skier
Anyone that have tried a Laser GS in shorter lengths as an alternative to SC? im thinking a GS 170 (im 176cm/5'9) compared to a SC in 170? Or are the GS lacking to much playfulness to be even close to a SC/SX or WRT?

Last edited:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Like @KevinF I own the 2015 Laser SC in 170. It is a great carving ski, just what you're looking for. Not quite an SL, but not a GS either.

With a Piston Plate and Marker binding it's an amazing ski. For the first few years I owned them I had Attack 13 bindings on them. Still a great ski, but the plate made them much better. Over 170 days on them and still ski great.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Or are the GS lacking to much playfulness to be even close to a SC/SX or WRT?
While a blast to ski fast and hard laying long trenches, and great in the beer league course, my 175 Laser GS is not what I would call "playful".

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Anyone that have tried a Laser GS in shorter lengths as an alternative to SC? im thinking a GS 170 (im 176cm/5'9) compared to a SC in 170? Or are the GS lacking to much playfulness to be even close to a SC/SX or WRT?

My 175 GS is my least favorite ski, in a quiver of outstanding boards. It is great first thing in the AM, on freshly groomed snow. As I mentioned before, once the snow gets skied out a bit there is just too much feedback from the GS for my liking - like driving a German performance car with low profile tires on a gravel road. I have the Marker WC PP on the GS.

My go-to is an AX in 175. I enjoy them all over the mtn - bumps, pow, trees, lay trenches - all good. So good that I have two pair, and when teaching five-days out of the week I alternate them, with one coming home for a "spa treatment".

I also have the SC in 170. It is like a piste specific AX. More spirited, quicker turning. However those same sensations make it less than desirable in skied out powder for me - unless the snow is bordering on bumps, and I ski it as such. And I wouldn't consciously take them off-piste. Skiing the edges of runs... sure. Off in the dark recesses on a run that is not groomed, not so much. When I go back East, it is the ski that I take.

On the SC, I can relax a bit. Not so much on the GS. I'm evolving to the point where I am not after a ski that will provide a specific sensation. More often I am going for the ski, for me, that is the most fun over the widest range of conditions: A few front side runs? Check. Trees on the backside? Check. That run that has long flat sections, but spirited steeper sections and feeds into bumps? Check.

TS
Razorback

Razorback

Skier
found a pair of 14/15 GS in 170 with Salomon and the STO Speedplate for only $250, a to good price to not try out meanwile i continue keep my eyes open for SC´s

James

Out There
Instructor
found a pair of 14/15 GS in 170 with Salomon and the STO Speedplate for only $250, a to good price to not try out meanwile i continue keep my eyes open for SC´s
Lol! Yeah, very hard to pass that up.

TS
Razorback

Razorback

Skier
Well the GS was not what i was looking for, tried it out the past weekend and there was no playfulness at all, reliable and fast but not much fun compared to my Blizzard G-Power FS IQ (that are close to retirement).

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not my listing but have seen it listed for a while.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Salomon SForce Blast might be a good option. I haven’t skied the Stockli but the Blasts are a trench laying machine.

Sponsor

Staff online