• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stockli Laser GS. 176

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am looking to replace my Beer league race ski’s and I saw a pair of Stockli Laser GS 176 in 23 M radius , the add said this is not the consumer ski and was for Master racers ?? The web site said the radius on the regular model was 18 m .Anyone know anything about these. They are at a very good price and I am skiing near where they are located next weekend

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
To successfully use a 23 m ski in beer league you have to be able to get bigger edge angles than most folks.
I know guys that can do that but they are either young or very good.
Most beer league racing involves tucking and skiing a 23m in a tuck is very difficult.
If you can do it, it is fast.....

dave g

Booting up
Skier
Not sure about the model year your looking at.The Laser GS is available in FIS and non-FIS versions.The non-FIS version at 175cm has a turn radius of 17.1, FIS version at 176 has a 22. I ski the 188 FIS version for masters racing as well as a daily frontside ski and the ski is surprisingly versatile. You certainly can't get lazy on it , but that being said I use tall over the mountain(Stowe) on groomed runs. Dave

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have the consumer Laser GS c. 180/18 ski (slightly different specs, but close). I have also skied a longer non-FIS Stockli Laser GS version from 19/20, maybe 182/83 or 185/r. c. 19 or so, not sure exactly. Both are relatively easy to carve well, though a slight bit on the stiff side in flex in comparison to some other non-FIS gs brands.

I also have several 183/23 W FIS WC Volkl skis, a 188/30 FIS/WC W Volkl GS, and an Atomic 188/30 FIS/WC W GS. These longer r 23 and r. 30 skis are relatively easy to carve, even at speed with high edge angle, if you are used to race skis. (Also, I've been on a fairly good number of other non-FIS spec gs skis to demo.)

A 176/23 is not something I've tried. The non-FIS GS race 175 skis most brands make generally have a turn radius more like 17, because they are designed to be very turny, very easily, to me right in between gs and sl - very quick turning almost like an sl, more range of turn shape and size like a gs - except very very quick, and fun recreationally. A 176/23 would be a different animal than what I've been on perhaps - maybe harder to turn and handle well in some ways than the 183/23, which to me is a very easy-going gs race ski, actually. I just don't know, but so far I've found that most of the length/radius combinations encouraged and sanctioned/manufactured for some kind of general use are dialed in, fairly easy, and would not be a problem on a course with a comparable setup & measured gate turn length. Including for Stocklis. (For beer league, you'd have to check what the gate distance setup is, what radius it is designed for: it would have to be compatible with the r 23 radius to work. Ask the coach.)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Most beer league racing involves tucking and skiing a 23m in a tuck is very difficult.

Can you expand on this?

(P.S., Brad, I ski a 23m 175 in beer league. Works for me. YMMV)

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Long radius skis are fast if you can carve them edge to edge while going faster than the guys on 18m skis that take a more direct line.
To make this tactic work you need to be able to generate bigger edge angles than the guys on the more direct line.
To really make it work you need to get those edge angles early in the turn. like Ligety.
Most beer league courses require a tuck to run with the big dogs and tucking makes it hard to get those angles.
Carving a high angle turn in a tuck puts you in a very vulnerable position if you hook the gate.
At my resort, many of the fastest guys are on 21-23m skis but they would probably be the fastest guys on anything.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At least with the 183/23, (and other GS skis I've been on) tucking while carving when possible and appropriate seems easier than on an all mountain ski: the edge and flex are so dialed in. With practice, you can accelerate on edge turning in a tuck and it's fun. Roller coaster like. (Like maybe Dakine is in his picture, not sure.) :)

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Is that 176 an adult ski, or a Jr. GS? If it’s a junior and not a masters type ski, it’s likely too flexible.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I’d definitely ask for clarification. If you are 175+ lbs and it’s a Jr. ski, it won’t have enough backbone for you. However a jr is likely fine for a 5’ 6”- 5-9” 135 - 160 lb driver.

TS
Brad J

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok , I called shop and that’s a ski that’s a FIS construction and shape but does not meet the 193 30 r men’s regulations , meant for advanced U16 type competitive skiers , definitely not be , I found a pair in Vt with plate and binding of 2019 Stöckli Gs 180 consumer ski’s for a reasonable price, now I am debating whether to get them????