• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
If I ordered an eight, the first time I performed an embarrassing move I'd blame it on not ordering a seven - you know like I blame my boots.

So there is carbon and titanal in every ski in this category. They simply adjust that formula to create the correct flex. True?

What about a plate? Is it available with plate or flat only. I like to move my foot forward.

These descriptions are great. It takes me back to a ski I loved that I was able to skid but could carve like a mo-fo. My ability to skid is no longer available. Those skis, the ones from about 10 years ago were... a woods hi-performance ski. These skis the AM77 sound like they would perform well in the East with varied terrain, at a much higher level.

I am skiing on the Head I-titan. It's 80 under foot but it does not ski like an 80. It's good for firm, groomed terrain. They are terrible in bumps. I like it a lot, but I wish I had something better.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied the 77 in I believe the 8 flex, and it was just so compliant and smooooooooth. @utskier skied the 88 and was VERY impressed. He is a level 3 and can work a ski. Me, I'm the intermediate tester here and the 77s were an absolute delight. I did NOT get them in mixed conditions, but I also didn't feel a butt kicking coming on at any time, either.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I skied the 77 in I believe the 8 flex, and it was just so compliant and smooooooooth. @utskier skied the 88 and was VERY impressed. He is a level 3 and can work a ski. Me, I'm the intermediate tester here and the 77s were an absolute delight. I did NOT get them in mixed conditions, but I also didn't feel a butt kicking coming on at any time, either.

It's the boots. ;)

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
May I suggest "Super Stiff", "Stiff" and "Less Stiff" as the three flex options ;)

Stiff, Super Stiff & Chuck Norris Signature :ogbiggrin:

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
Or something like "Allmountain", "Frontside", "Race".
No one want the word "Soft" appears on their skis, though probably that is the best flex for him (probably many of us)...

May I suggest "Super Stiff", "Stiff" and "Less Stiff" as the three flex options ;)

James

Out There
Instructor
Hah, and people complain about the flex numbers on race skis.

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am not sure if this is OK to be disclosed. So if it is not, just ignore this question.

I would like to know how Augment changes the flex rating of the skis.
Only the thickness of the woodcore? or even change the type of wood used at some breakpoints? Does the thickness of the titanal also get changed accordingly?

I just skied the 88s down Docs Run at the Canyons in Park City. I have never skied that run with as much confidence as I just did. I thought about pulling up to slow down but then realized that the skis could take all that I could give them and so much more. Usually I get down about the same time as my wife and kids who ride the gondola down. This time I beat them by a lot. Love that ski.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
FWIW, the Euro site contains a lot more info on the ski's materials and construction. They don't discuss what goes into a 77 for instance so as a suggestion, the level of details USA buyers want to see should be included. For instance, since the suggested flex of a 77 is 8-10, they really should include the thickness of titanal in a 8 flex and core construction. My bet is the flex is more dictated by titanal sheets and thickness. for instance an 8 = 2 sheets of .4 titanal vs a 1= two sheets of .8 titanal. EDIT: I was wrong! See Augments answer below regarding flex

https://augment-sports.com. then select Technology-

Also, I would love to learn more about the ski fitting system that is discussed but I cannot find the app or any information on it. Since I am buying a pair of 77's and will be reviewing them shortly, it would be really cool to use that app in the buying process. @Augment Skis

Last edited:

Augment Skis

Getting on the lift
Manufacturer
There is no magic. The flex is selection is what you might consider an added amount of service and information for the buyers. Skis naturally have differences in them; wood comes from different trees, there is sometimes a small difference in the amount of resin...etc. Augment tests the skis and looks for those differences that affect the performance and pairs the skis accordingly so that the skis that are stiffer, get noted as such. It's more of an issue in the race skis than in the recreational skis so that's why we've started to group the flexes together into Soft/Med/Stiff. Most skiers (myself included) don't have the sensitivity to tell one flex apart from the ski next to it in number (the factory suggests that not even WC skiers have that sensitivity so don't be offended) and as a result grouping 8-10 together to become soft makes it easier for retailers and buyers alike. Most brands don't share the differences. When you're producing ten of thousands of skis, you don't have time to note the small differences in skis, when you're smaller, you do. As one soon to be buyer of our 88s in a 163cm said; "most of the time when you test a ski you test it for what it is and either like it or leave it, with Augment you can choose to get a stiffer or softer version of the same ski". That information, knowledge, and capability is what sets us apart.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Thanks @Augment Skis and I understand what you are saying but it would be nice to understand the construction of each ski. For instance, I am writing the review on the 77 but I can't tell our members how many sheets or the thickness of the titanal used.

Augment Skis

Getting on the lift
Manufacturer
Thanks @Augment Skis and I understand what you are saying but it would be nice to understand the construction of each ski. For instance, I am writing the review on the 77 but I can't tell our members how many sheets or the thickness of the titanal used.
Ron, I'm not sure that they're comfortable giving that all away, but I will be happy to ask in case they are and it would help with your write up.

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
To be honest, I found this is very hard to believe... Making the ski first and then determine the flex rating.
From the statistics point of view, there would be a normal distribution of the flex ratings, which means, a lot of 4, 5, and 6 flex ones, but very few 1, 2, 9, and 10 ones....

The flex is selection is what you might consider an added amount of service and information for the buyers. Skis naturally have differences in them; wood comes from different trees, there is sometimes a small difference in the amount of resin...etc. Augment tests the skis and looks for those differences that affect the performance and pairs the skis accordingly so that the skis that are stiffer, get noted as such.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
To be honest, I found this is very hard to believe... Making the ski first and then determine the flex rating.
From the statistics point of view, there would be a normal distribution of the flex ratings, which means, a lot of 4, 5, and 6 flex ones, but very few 1, 2, 9, and 10 ones....

I think he's oversimplifying this. They use different titanal layups and such depending on the ski line.

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
First of all, I might be totally wrong.
To my knowledge, Titanal actually does not stiffen up the skis too much, it dampen the skis instead. The stiffness mainly come from the woodcore and the fiberglass/carbonfibre layers. But the thickness of the titanal layer does usually correlated with the stiffness of the skis. Maybe stiffer skis need more dampening?

I think he's oversimplifying this. They use different titanal layups and such depending on the ski line.

James

Out There
Instructor
Titanal makes skis stiffer torsionally, not longitudinally. But, there’s different thickness of sheet they can use, so there’s nany variables. Plus shaping the sheet or punching holes in it.
The original Kastle Fx 84 line used two thin sheets. The top one was like paper. Still the best fx’s. Later ones were stiffer in all aspects.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And that is why they offer the Sport Carve at 68mm underfoot.

Interestingly the 77 does not appear on their website at the moment.

Anyway, I would love to get on a short, soft SC at some point.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester

on both of their sites, you have to use the search function but here's the link.

Sponsor

Staff online