• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiDuzzi

Booting up
Skier
I am 6'.0", 220lb expert level skier and former instructor.
What size Stockli Laser AX for me?
175 or 182?
I am concerned the 175 will be too small given my size?
My current every day driver are the Volkl Kendo 177
Ski style is a mix of GS and S turns
Ski mostly East early morning frozen groomers with 3-4 trips West each year on the IKON Pass
I welcome all input.

Thank you,

Mike

James

Out There
Instructor
Tough one. Could go either way. Too bad @ScottB can't try his binding position experiments yet. The 182 I suspect really needs to go plus 2. At least the vintage he has which I think is 16/17, but could be 17/18.

It's a heavy bear on steep terrain. That could be due to binding position.

Would you use it west?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm almost the same size... just a few lbs lighter. I've demo'ed the 182 and really liked it, but think I would have liked it shorter more. I think the above takes are correct in either working well. But for S turns I'd lean shorter. (Personally I have the laser sc in a 170.)

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
At your size and skill I would think the 182 would be your best bet. Good skiers that purchase a good ski too short are often disappointed in the performance of what normally would be a great ski.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
5’10” 200lbs I ski the 175. Only time I’ve wish shorter is in bumps and I’m not a very accomplished bumper. If I had to get another pair I would get the 175s again. Think @Noodler hit it, depends skiing style what turn radius you prefer. If I’m not mistaken it was a fair jump going 175 to 182.

TS
SkiDuzzi

SkiDuzzi

Booting up
Skier
Tough one. Could go either way. Too bad @ScottB can't try his binding position experiments yet. The 182 I suspect really needs to go plus 2. At least the vintage he has which I think is 16/17, but could be 17/18.

It's a heavy bear on steep terrain. That could be due to binding position.

Would you use it west?
I would only use it West on no snow days. Really like the new Volkl Mantra M5s for every day driver out west or a 95-100 all mountain board

TS
SkiDuzzi

SkiDuzzi

Booting up
Skier
At your size and skill I would think the 182 would be your best bet. Good skiers that purchase a good ski too short are often disappointed in the performance of what normally would be a great ski.
Thank you I appreciate the comments. I think I want the 182 as long as they do not back seat me.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I only have a few runs on the Laser AX 183 cm ski in really soft manky snow. It didn't feel too long to me, just right actually. I typically ski a 184 to 188 cm ski, so the 183 is in my wheel house. Its not a ski that feels really long, although this ski did feel that way to James and MDF.

OP, if you are skiing a 177 cm ski, then the 175 AX won't feel any shorter. The 183 will feel longer for sure. If I get on a 178 cm ski, it feels short to me. I am 6'4", 240lbs. I think the Laser AX is a ski that doesn't feel short for its size, if anything slightly long. When I demo'd the ski I bought, I was probably -1 cm (behind the line) and it felt OK, but I would say I wanted to be a little more forward on the ski. In the soft snow I was in, I was impressed with how good the ski felt. I have a Kastle MX 78 in 184cm that feels awful in snow like that with me on it. Very grabby and super small sweet spot. The AX was so easy to ski, it didn't feel like a 78mm wide ski, it felt much more stable than it should.

My advice is stick with the 175 AX unless you are looking for more of a GS ski, which most people are not in this type of ski. The ski is soft feeling initially, so the longer length is not hard to ski, but I think it takes some strength to wip it around. Bigger guys seem to like the 183 length with the bindings moved forward 2-3 cm, per Jame's advice. Some skiers claim if you drive your skis and keep your weight forward, mounting on the line is best. I won't know what works best for me until next season. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

If you own other skis, what size? The AX skis pretty true to size, maybe slightly long, in my opinion.

TS
SkiDuzzi

SkiDuzzi

Booting up
Skier
My concern over the 175 is tail wash out at higher speeds?

TS
SkiDuzzi

SkiDuzzi

Booting up
Skier
I only have a few runs on the Laser AX 183 cm ski in really soft manky snow. It didn't feel too long to me, just right actually. I typically ski a 184 to 188 cm ski, so the 183 is in my wheel house. Its not a ski that feels really long, although this ski did feel that way to James and MDF.

OP, if you are skiing a 177 cm ski, then the 175 AX won't feel any shorter. The 183 will feel longer for sure. If I get on a 178 cm ski, it feels short to me. I am 6'4", 240lbs. I think the Laser AX is a ski that doesn't feel short for its size, if anything slightly long. When I demo'd the ski I bought, I was probably -1 cm (behind the line) and it felt OK, but I would say I wanted to be a little more forward on the ski. In the soft snow I was in, I was impressed with how good the ski felt. I have a Kastle MX 78 in 184cm that feels awful in snow like that with me on it. Very grabby and super small sweet spot. The AX was so easy to ski, it didn't feel like a 78mm wide ski, it felt much more stable than it should.

My advice is stick with the 175 AX unless you are looking for more of a GS ski, which most people are not in this type of ski. The ski is soft feeling initially, so the longer length is not hard to ski, but I think it takes some strength to wip it around. Bigger guys seem to like the 183 length with the bindings moved forward 2-3 cm, per Jame's advice. Some skiers claim if you drive your skis and keep your weight forward, mounting on the line is best. I won't know what works best for me until next season. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

If you own other skis, what size? The AX skis pretty true to size, maybe slightly long, in my opinion.
Thank you. I am leaning toward the 175. I have been riding Volkl Kendos for several model years in 177 and they have felt like a good fit.

TS
SkiDuzzi

SkiDuzzi

Booting up
Skier

Scott...FYI I was on hte a

I noticed your Skilogik Skis. I was on the advisory board for Skilogik to try to save the company with Dave Mazz. Attached is a pic of my family with Skilogik Skis. My son has the same graphics as you on his Ullr's Chariots.

Attachments

• IMG_2330.jpg
    IMG_2330.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 58
TS
SkiDuzzi

SkiDuzzi

Booting up
Skier
I'm almost the same size... just a few lbs lighter. I've demo'ed the 182 and really liked it, but think I would have liked it shorter more. I think the above takes are correct in either working well. But for S turns I'd lean shorter. (Personally I have the laser sc in a 170.)
thank you I argree

James

Out There
Instructor
It was only on the very steep terrain where you have to bring the whole ski around quickly did I notice the heavyness of the 182.. I switched to my 192 cm Stormrider 95's with Pivot 18's and they felt light in comparison on those same steeps. I never have a heavy feel with my 180cm 21m cheater gs skis, and those are heavy. Thus the binding mount theory. Hey, maybe I was already -1 or more.

If you like big turns at speed, since you're 220, maybe the 182.
The AX is quite versatile for soft snow.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I noticed your Skilogik Skis. I was on the advisory board for Skilogik to try to save the company with Dave Mazz. Attached is a pic of my family with Skilogik Skis. My son has the same graphics as you on his Ullr's Chariots.

I would love to hear what happened to them? I suppose just ran out of money was the bottom line. I have been through a similar experience with sailboards.

I own a pair of Ullr's Chariots in 178cm and the Depth Hoar in 191 (avatar pic). I miss their skis. I still wish I owned a Charrot in 188 instead of 178. The 178 is a wide slalom ski for me. Still a lot of fun, though. It throws a mean rooster tail with me on it.

What model are you holding? They look like 188 Chariots

TS
SkiDuzzi

SkiDuzzi

Booting up
Skier
I would love to hear what happened to them? I suppose just ran out of money was the bottom line. I have been through a similar experience with sailboards.

I own a pair of Ullr's Chariots in 178cm and the Depth Hoar in 191 (avatar pic). I miss their skis. I still wish I owned a Charrot in 188 instead of 178. The 178 is a wide slalom ski for me. Still a lot of fun, though. It throws a mean rooster tail with me on it.

I have the Chariots in 178 with the Grand Prix graphics. My son has the Chariots in 178 also with the Dead Head Graphics. Wife and Daughter both have ISIS (which was the girls Chariot) I also had the Front Burners but sold them. They were good skis but there were issues with quality, profitability and market channel strategy. Give me a call at 410-409-7733 and I will update you on what happened to the company and the

Yes I agree the Chariot in 178 is a wide 12M slalom ski does throw a big rooster tail
I have the Chariots in 178 and they are a very good ski but a bit odd to ski...very heavy yet want to turn like a slalom ski but too wide to do it well.
My son has the Chariots in 178 also with the Dead Head graphics
Wife and Daughter have the ISIS model which was the girls Chariot
I also had a pair of Front Burners and Ocams's Razors but sold them
They were good skis but lacked production quality consistency
I tried to help Mazz save the company but they ran out of money and he changed his focus
The big problem was channel strategy and profitability with all the top sheet options
PM me and I will update you on what happened to the company and the in 1,200 ski inventory

TS
SkiDuzzi

SkiDuzzi

Booting up
Skier
I have the Chariots in 178 with the Grand Prix graphics. My son has the Chariots in 178 also with the Dead Head Graphics. Wife and Daughter both have ISIS (which was the girls Chariot) I also had the Front Burners but sold them. They were good skis but there were issues with quality, profitability and market channel strategy. Give me a call at 410-409-7733 and I will update you on what happened to the company and the

Yes I agree the Chariot in 178 is a wide 12M slalom ski does throw a big rooster tail
I have the Chariots in 178 and they are a very good ski but a bit odd to ski...very heavy yet want to turn like a slalom ski but too wide to do it well.
My son has the Chariots in 178 also with the Dead Head graphics
Wife and Daughter have the ISIS model which was the girls Chariot
I also had a pair of Front Burners and Ocams's Razors but sold them
They were good skis but lacked production quality consistency
I tried to help Mazz save the company but they ran out of money and he changed his focus
The big problem was channel strategy and profitability with all the top sheet options
Give me a call at 410-409-7733 and I will update you on what happened to the company and the in 1,200 ski inventory
Chariots.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
My concern over the 175 is tail wash out at higher speeds?
I think you are on the write tract to what would happen with the 175. Based on the dimensions I think it is more of a SL ski than a GS ski in the shorter length and in your first post you said you wanted to make some GS turns as well as SL turns. That is part of why I think you will find the longer ski a good fit. It will also help you in the softer snow when you do go out west. In your own words you are an advanced skier, the longer ski could not hurt your skiing it could only be a more stable ski especially at a advanced speed. Do you really want a short ski when making faster GS turns?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is my take which may not apply since I am nowhere near your size. Small woman...

My daily drivers and pow skis are 165 and 168. I acquired the AXs this season in a 154. I was concerned they'd feel.too short. Really debated about it.

My rationale for going shorter may apply to you too. I decided that if I was adding a new ski, i wanted it to be really different from my other skis. Not much overlap. This way there isn't any second guessing which skis to ride.

In the end I am very pleased with my choice. The skis are amazingly versatile.

I have not encountered any issues with tails washing out in any conditions so far. I must say those quick silky turns are a blast. Groomers are fun again and they are very user friendly in bumps.

Agree that main deciding factor is what you want them to do..

Good luck!

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
@SkiDuzzi -- I am 6'0" and 210 lbs. I ski 177 Kendo (2017 model). I have demo'd both the 175 and 182 cm Laser AX (2019 model).

If I lived out west, I would consider actually getting both lengths :roflmao: They are superb skis.

175 are better when I am skiing low angle blue groomers with someone who skis slower. They are precise and nimble. Also decent in bumps.

182 are better on big mountains with a lot of room to run. They are better if you plan to go off piste more (not trees), since there is more fore/aft to keep balance and better float. Though they don't charge crud as well as Kendo. Also, neither are as good as Kendo in bumps (IMO).

Both are good for short and medium turns. They are actually fairly soft (compared to Kendo), so you need to be precise to get larger radius turns. Kendo is like a butter knife. Laser AX are more like a thin scalpel.

So summary:
182: For big terrain, steep groomers, more stability off piste, round bumps, higher speeds.
175: For tighter trails, lower speeds (skiing with lower ability levels), tight and/or ugly bumps.

Last edited: