• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stockli Laser AX best binding choice:

jeff foreman

Putting on skis
Skier
Currently have Pivot 14's on Laser AX's(175cm). Looking to raise stack height for edge angles and subtract a pound in swing weight. I know the Attack's are standard. Any other suggestions apart from the Attacks and will subtracting that weight significantly increase the quickness?

Thanks in advance!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You can add lifter but that will add weight. Because of the short mount distance, the Pivots have one of the lowest swing weights of any bindings. The Attacks have a lower height than the Pivots. To lose a pounnd means you have to compromise the integrity with a lower/entry level binding reducing performance.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Currently have Pivot 14's on Laser AX's(175cm). Looking to raise stack height for edge angles and subtract a pound in swing weight. I know the Attack's are standard. Any other suggestions apart from the Attacks and will subtracting that weight significantly increase the quickness?

Thanks in advance!
Selfish tangent because I'm binding shopping too. Seems like the narrowest brake you can get with a Pivot is 95 mm. Did you somehow find a narrower one? Or are you making do with bent-in 95mm arms? Thanks in advance.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Selfish tangent because I'm binding shopping too. Seems like the narrowest brake you can get with a Pivot is 95 mm. Did you somehow find a narrower one? Or are you making do with bent-in 95mm arms? Thanks in advance.

Wow, times sure have changed.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I don't think it will make all that much difference. Typically when folk talk about swing weight they are talking about weight near the tips and tails of the ski, where it takes more torque to make it swing (T=FD), and affects how easily you can spin the skis. Weight at the binding is near the axis of rotation, even for edge to edge rotation. So, will it make a difference? Yes, but only slightly, not as much as say getting a different ski with less tip and tail weight, or for edge-to edge rotation a narrower one.
EDIT: if you mean to address the same effect of what they call unsprung weight as in vehicle wheels and suspension, then yes.

TS
jeff foreman

jeff foreman

Putting on skis
Skier
Good question. I believe they are 95 but will have to check.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tecnically, just the 12 and 14 come with a 75mm brake. The pedestals can be swapped on the 15 and 18 though.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I get my Pivot 75mm brakes from Al's Ski Barn. I've found they have the best brake selection anywhere:

Sponsor

Staff online