• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stockli Laser AX 2018-19 vs 2017-2018

CharlieSki

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I demoed the 18/19 (in 168cm) this weekend and found it pretty "stiff" (loved the Stormrider 88 in comparison), was the previous version of the AX "softer" or about the same. As anyone skied both versions?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I own both versions, and for that matter the 88. The two AX-s are different skis. V1 had a softer tail and a significantly softer tip. V2 is a versatile near race ski with a stiff tail and very engaging tip. The tail has less apparent relief in fresh snow but still works really well. I'll use V1 on soft days, up to several inches of medium or lesser density. V2 is for firmer conditions or bumps and medium or lesser density up to say 6 inches. The 88 is an incredible pow and mixed conditions ski, carves well but less oriented towards that part of the performance spectrum. The V1 AX has the narrowest performance band but incredible, silky fee.

TS
C

CharlieSki

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Sweet quiver! The feeling of "stiffness" I got skiing them, came mostly from the tail. I was expecting/hopimg for more liveliness, more fun. It sounds like the previous version would be a better choice for me. Thanks Lorenzzo

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Just wanted to add another request for further comparison between the '18 (yellow and green) and '19 (YELLOW) versions of the Laser AX. From what I have read here and in previous threads, it appears "stiffer" is one of the primary descriptions of the difference in the '19 model from the '18. Is that a fairly accurate summary, or is there more to the picture comparing these 2 model years?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Second that request!

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
I own both versions, and for that matter the 88. The two AX-s are different skis. V1 had a softer tail and a significantly softer tip. V2 is a versatile near race ski with a stiff tail and very engaging tip. The tail has less apparent relief in fresh snow but still works really well. I'll use V1 on soft days, up to several inches of medium or lesser density. V2 is for firmer conditions or bumps and medium or lesser density up to say 6 inches. The 88 is an incredible pow and mixed conditions ski, carves well but less oriented towards that part of the performance spectrum. The V1 AX has the narrowest performance band but incredible, silky fee.

How does V1 handle pow, say 12", fresh or old?

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
If you're

If you're centered it handles most low and medium densities up to maybe 6" really well, after that or in greater density I like more width, less sidecut.

Thanks, by centered, you mean mounting at factory recommended line or having good fore-aft balance?

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
With all due I think it's the same question. The latter will have you on the line.

Not really. Most people I know mount stocklis 20-30 mm forward. That's static, and is something anyone can set on the ski. Good fore-aft balance is dynamic, and is a skier skill. Was just curious which one you meant earlier.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not really. Most people I know mount stocklis 20-30 mm forward. That's static, and is something anyone can set on the ski. Good fore-aft balance is dynamic, and is a skier skill. Was just curious which one you meant earlier.
Most people are in the back seat producing the move forward thus raising the question whether it's the right ski. You're of course free to disagree. I haven't met a hips over feet skier who wants them forward.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier

My wife has her 168’s mounted on the line and has ZERO problem ripping groomers

SmileGuy

Booting up
Skier
I skied last years and was blown away by their suppleness and grip. Easy in bumps. Maybe by 175cm and I’m used to most skis around 185. My monster 88 is a 177 and thought the laser ax was as or slightly easier. Where as the red silver sr88 I find more difficult in the bumps than ax or my monster. The sr series never clicked for me in bumps.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Up until this past week, I hadn't been on the 175s since they've been called laser AXes @ c. waist 78. Wish I had. :)

I have found recently, since I got the opportunity to ski the latest AX 175 (19/20), that that length, for most people, is the "sweet spot" length for the current versions, version 1, 2 & 3. Mea culpa.

I'd like to own that length too. I'd take the 175 no farther than +1, for myself, and preferred it at 0, on the line, the day I tested it. To me, the ski seemed about the same as my year's version, but it was so good, and a different length from mine, so don't really know. Just best, is all I can say. And best length, too: best, best - and, best.

What a wonderful ski. (I didn't notice any differences from my own year, but it's harder to compare the 175 to the 183 of a different year, so not sure. The 183, for sure, felt heavier. But also more chargy.)

I get to ski two versions of the 17/18 AX, both 183. My buddy's pair with Tyrolia Attack2 13 shop demos, is set at c. +1.0 to +2.4 mount positions: with that binding, those mount positions work for his 183, for both of us. Not sure why. His pair is at the same height as mine, at 3.0 toe and 3.2 cm heel with that particular demo binding (thus delta height +2 mm), but with that playful flexing Attack2-13 toe on his, that actually one can feel as more playful, and versatile, than the more race-like binding on mine. At least that was the theory of the Head rep(s) I talked to about it. Different binding, different ski behavior to the same ski. And, for me, different mount point range as a result.

My pair of AXes are also 17-18 (yellow w. diagonal green stripes). Tyrolia PRD 12 adjustable binding (at +2 delta also, and the same 3.0 and 3.2 height). 183s. But with a more race binding-type toe, and feel.

I ski my 183s at zero if I want them to feel more like gs race skis. That works.

I ski them also, however, at up to +4 most recently, where they are best for bumps, in my case. I'm perfectly capable of race ski-learned dynamics on these skis and others. But I've found there are also freeride styles of skiing that have every bit as much integrity and stability as racing style. Sean Pettit and Seth Morrison were my role models for appreciating such styles, but the hills are full of big mountain chargers and trickers (Candide, Sage, etc.) who can flat out ski, and who often play with their mount positions. I first started that stuff with Sage's Atomic Auto 117, but the K2 Pettitor 120 is also good for multiple mount positions, as are many of the fat skis since. And also, as it happens, with this particular 183 AX ski, at its longer length.​

Again, I learned this sort of thing from Sage, Sean Pettit and Seth Morrison, me and friends watching the latter two ski at Loveland Basin, and hearing about what they said to one of us, who got to ride up the lift with them repeatedly, and talked with them about their choice of mount position for their signature skis. (Fatter version - 116 - of the ObSethed for Seth, and the Pettitor 120, in the case of both of them - the 179 in Sean's case, for switch & flips, and the 189 in Seth's case, for truly big mountain and all around powder/crud skiing.) The shorter version of a ski got skied on the line, while the longer version got skied at +4 1/2 by Seth especially.

A bunch of us fan boys tried both lengths, both settings and everything in between. My own setting for the 179 was -1 1/2, while it was +3 to +4 1/2 for the 189. Still is.

So when my Ax 17/18 183s felt heavy to me at 0 to + 1 1/2 in bumps and such, no big deal: I played with the mount settings once again, to good effect.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online